Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. Read our pushchair and pram reviews to find out which products have won Mumsnet Best. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic.

Maclaren Quest ? Pushchair / Buggy for Disney / Orlando etc with heavy 4.5 year old !

(12 Posts)
newty71 Tue 27-Jan-15 11:49:56

I am visiting Disney in a couple of months and after much research on the subject, have decided it will be best to take a pushchair/buggy or hire one. I am not worried about my boy walking a lot but I think the days will be very very long and the heat will knock us all out.

My little boy will be 5 during our holiday. I know on this site that a lot of people see no problem in putting a 4 or 5 year old in a pushchair in Disney etc but the problem is that my boy is rather large for his age. He weighs nearly 4 stones and is approx. 122cm in height.

I have a McClaren Quest at home, which we haven't used for a couple of years, I thought I could take this with us but the weight restriction is 55lbs/3stone 9 pounds.

I just wondered whether anyone else had put a slightly heavy child in a maclaren quest without problems (or any other type of buggy with a similar weight restriction) or whether we should hire one in resort, which would go up to his true weight.

I would manage with our Maclaren if I can, rather than spending extra money on hiring (the holiday is costing enough!) but I am just worried about how it will cope carrying slightly over the weight amount stated by the manufacturer.

I would be grateful for any tips ...

Stubbed Tue 27-Jan-15 12:07:35

Can you hire a buggy there? At our local zoo you can hire a rugged buggy type thing ideal for older children

newty71 Tue 27-Jan-15 12:16:36

You can hire at Disney but apparently they are quite large uncomfortable things with no paddnig, so would prefer not to have one of those. Thanks for your post though.

AprilShowers15 Tue 27-Jan-15 22:11:43

Silvercross Pop or Baby Jogger City Lite or Baby Jogger Vue.

I know the pop does up to 25kg and has a huge extendable ventilated hood. Only £95 pramcentre.co.uk

Ilikesweetpeas Tue 27-Jan-15 22:19:44

You can hire from companies who deliver to your hotel. Friends did this for their 4 and 6 year old and said it was great. I don't know the name of the company but am sure you could find it through Google, or look in DIS boards

Shedding Tue 27-Jan-15 22:43:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

atticusclaw Tue 27-Jan-15 22:51:36

The second time we went we had a five year old and a seven year old (yes really!) happily sitting in a mclaren double buggy. Clearly they didn't really need it during the day time (although it made life so much more relaxing not having to drag them around when they were tired) but it was a god send in the evenings when DS2 in particular would often fall asleep in the evenings when we were watching fireworks or a show. Even this year when DS2 was seven he fell asleep a few times in the restaurants in the evening due to having been on his feet all day. Carrying a very sleepy seven year old on and off disney transportation and across the resorts is not easy.

ToffeeLatteplease Tue 27-Jan-15 22:57:29

Seriously at five I would make him walk it. I did at five; I wasn't known for being a great walker and my parents were literally on the go from opening to closing.

If you do go down the buggy route without a doubt hire there. They may not have a lot of padding but at 5 you really don't need padding and the paths are smooth and well maintained anyway.

besides which from memory the hire buggies out there are waaayy cooler than a regular buggy grin

atticusclaw Tue 27-Jan-15 23:03:34

If you're in the parks all day there's no way a five year old will make it through to the evening without a buggy imo. There's a lot of walking between the various areas. Its also SO much easier with a five year old to be able to strap them in a whizz off back to the bus/to get to your fast pass ride in time without trying to drag a tired five year old through the crowds.

Buggy all the way!

GoMommaItsaBargain Wed 28-Jan-15 13:16:19

You will def need a buggy as its loooong days and lots of walking and evenings included, my just turned seven yr old only just coped with it and we should have hired for her or taken a double as the four yr old slept in a single when the baby wasn't in it! The four and six yr old were fighting for the wheely board and they just managed...... Next time will take double maclaren triumph, the quest will be hard to push with little wheels with that weight in but it's not like you will be pushing it loaded all day.....just when he needs a rest/snooze/escape from heat , vital when hunger setting in and not quite reached food pit stop....so it could work and saves you spending on something just for hols, hiring can be a pain if you can't wheel it back to hotel room, as later in day /eve is prob when you would need most.....maybe not day one or two but by day three he will be flagging!! Take a buggy and enjoy the walking and the amazing holiday x

Cockbollocks Sun 01-Feb-15 15:34:23

Hiring buggies in the park is stupidly expensive - I'm talking like 20 dollars a day!!!

We bought a cheapie in the local walmart when we got out there, they had loads for under 100 dollars. I bought one for 15, however it was a slightly flimsy umbrella fold mickey mouse one - fab for my relatively light 4 year old DD but could cause you an issue with weight.

It was like this www.disneybaby.com/products/mickey-mouse-umbrella-stroller/

I sold the buggy for £10 on eBay when we got back grin

Cockbollocks Sun 01-Feb-15 15:39:45

In fact it wasn't Walmart it was here www.target.com/c/lightweight-strollers-baby/-/N-5xtk2#?lnk=L1L2_stroll_01_0_X0Y1_13_0_2015|X0Y1|T:Template%20B-DVM|C:CMS&intc=1501081|null

Loads of people in the disney parks had the strollers without hoods that show price in store - they were about 10 dollars!!! again pretty flimsy but did the job for two weeks even if binned after.

Also would like to add that my DD is very good at walking but after two days she sat on the floor, refused to move and sobbed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: