Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. Read our pushchair and pram reviews to find out which products have won Mumsnet Best. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic.

Do you have an Oyster Max?

(17 Posts)
BreeVDKamp Sun 11-Jan-15 15:24:02

We're pretty sure we're going to get an Oyster Max, absolutely love it, but just wanting to gauge how long it will last?

I know it depends on a lot of factors but we're getting it with the idea that we'll have DC2 pretty soon after DC1 (well about an 18 month gap if we're lucky and all goes smoothly), so there's no point getting it if it will break after a year's use.

We live in a town and I guess we'll use it every day for errands, park etc.

Thanks!

bexibean Sun 11-Jan-15 16:22:53

I had an oyster with DS -( not a Max)and whilst it was a great buggy, after 18 months pretty heavy use I abandoned it - it needed new wheels, new brake, the hood was ripped, rain cover ripped, handle bar cover torn and the folding mechanism stuck. Friends with icandy or bugaboo have been able to reuse their for second babies, so I'm investing in one of these for our second. I did walk a lot as I live in London and we don't have a car, plus it was on and off buses, trains and tubes every day so maybe it would have been ok with lighter use!

BreeVDKamp Sun 11-Jan-15 16:52:36

Hmm ok that's good to know, thanks. We're in London too. We did look at the icandies but with the apple 2 pear tandem, the kid who is in the bottom seat would have so much less room compared to the oyster max! Would have the back of the front seat in its face. Plus I don't really like the icandy brand, but they are very pretty looking! Oh, I am confused!

CaptainMorgansMistress Sun 11-Jan-15 20:19:11

Have you had a look at the babyjogger city select?

It's lovely as a single and you can have all kinds of combinations when you add the second baby - car seat / carrycot / normal seats etc.

We didn't need a double in the end but I was very impressed by it.

poocatcherchampion Sun 11-Jan-15 20:21:52

We've had ours 18-mo- 2 years now. It's running fine. I find it big for one baby so normally only take it if I want both seats. It will def see us through a third child and most likely a 4th.

It came second hand to us, although very lightly used.

Dannie22b Sun 11-Jan-15 20:26:33

I have had my oyster max 18 months and it's fab. It's coped with my nearly 3 year old and 14 month old, and I'm about to put a newborn in it too. Only thing is the shopping basket and raincover needs replacing but it's been well used and battered by children and family who just throw it in boot etc.

BreeVDKamp Mon 12-Jan-15 09:20:47

Oh wow poocatcher (grin) and Dannie yours have lasted ages!!

I'm currently thinking we should just get the chassis brand new for the warranty and buy seat/carrycot/colour pack 2nd hand, because I am a cheapskate. Any reason not to?

I will look up the babyjogger, thanks CaptainMorgan

NishyM Mon 12-Jan-15 11:48:56

My friend has ICandy Apple and loves it. She looked at Oyster Max but the guy in the shop warned her that the way it was set up, the upper child could kick the lower child in the face! Has anyone had this problem?

NishyM Mon 12-Jan-15 11:49:24

My friend has ICandy Apple and loves it. She looked at Oyster Max but the guy in the shop warned her that the way it was set up, the upper child could kick the lower child in the face! Has anyone had this problem?

Natanotherone Wed 14-Jan-15 11:21:24

I had mine as a double less than 6 months then sold it. Loved it as a single but as my youngest grew she couldn't see anything and my eldest refused to go in the bottom. Baby in a basket just didn't work for us. Due DC3 and looking at bugaboo donkey or city select as both children can parent / world face and see everything.
I currently have a city mini double which is practical but I'm ready for a change.

BreeVDKamp Wed 14-Jan-15 15:47:05

Hmm yes the city select does look great, it makes so much more sense having the child at the back higher than the child at the front doesn't it! It is quite an ugly pushchair though.

The donkey is sooooo expensive so that's out for us! Also wanted an in-line double rather than a wide one.

Hmm I will do more research on the city select I think! smile I wonder how small it folds, the oyster looked so simple to use when we tried it in the shop.

Natanotherone Wed 14-Jan-15 17:54:24

My friend has the select and I agree it is functional looking but both kids have more room and both seats can fully recline.

The oyster max looks good and the price is reasonable but unless you have a very placid child who will happily sit unable to see anything then it's not very good. Both mine hated being in the bottom.

Definitely do some more research, city select is available in some new colours I believe x

Dannie22b Wed 14-Jan-15 20:09:38

My older child loves the bottom seat. She has been using it for about 8 months when she doesn't want to walk. Shes 3 in feb. She also pulls the hood down and has little nap when she's tired. I am due in 3 weeks my next baby and my 15 month old will be fine in top seat and baby in bottom carrycot or I intend to use the car seat for shorter journeys. It fits in my little megane in the boot and the seats unclip on and off really quick and one handed. My only gripe is the buggy board. I hate it. It's awkward to put on. But it's good when it's on there.
Hope that helps

captainproton Wed 14-Jan-15 20:17:25

We have an Oyster Max, and it's about 18 months old now and is still working fine. My youngest is 16 months, and my eldest 2.5 years. I like how it steers, as I can have my DC1 walking beside me and I can push it along with the other hand. We walk up some big hills, and she can still sit in the bottom if she wants to stop walking for a bit, or I take her shoes off and she stands on the seat like a buggy board and peers out over the top.

I have the smaller Oyster pushchair (bought when we weren't thinking of having a Dc2 so soon) and a stroller, it's not as easy to move about so I would definitely go for a double buggy you can steer one handed with little problem.

BreeVDKamp Wed 14-Jan-15 20:47:07

Awesome thanks captain and Dannie! Can you have 2 seats and a buggy board at the same time? I don't think I'd need that and I get a feeling it would be overkill?

poocatcherchampion Wed 14-Jan-15 22:43:14

No you can't. The bggy board goes where the bottom seat does basically.

Agree with everything danni said except we never really used the car seat on it. But carry cot on the bottom was good and snug and now dd1 normally goes in the bottom not strapped in and I jump her in and out. She doesn't mind the non view - and always sees other things - like cars going past etc.
Sometimes I swap them over - dd2 sleeps in the bottom with the snooze shade - its snug.

Some risk of face kicking if the top one is forward facing and wearing shoes, but dd2 is 16mo and can't reach her sister yet so not a big prob.

BreeVDKamp Thu 15-Jan-15 17:04:00

Thank you! Think we've settled on the Oyster Max, now to decide which colour... haha smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: