Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Issues with Pushchairs on the tube in London

(12 Posts)
Househusband1 Tue 06-Jan-15 18:16:11

Hi All,

I was wondering whether anyone could help me, my sister has twin boys and so naturally has bought a twin pushchair for them and she lives in London. She finds when taking them on trips into the centre, she has real issues getting the pushchair up the stairs by herself.

Does anyone know of a product out there that could solve this issue for her?

Is this a big issue for others people and if not, how do you get around this?

I am keen to try and find a solution for her as it gives her more independence with the boys... If there isn't one out there then I am keen to design something myself... would this be of interest to other mums experiencing this problem?

Cheers

Househusband1

EdithWeston Tue 06-Jan-15 18:25:17

The "product" is a helpful passerby. Or a sling and a single. Or a single and a buggy board when they are bigger. Plus planning journey for stations with as few steps as possible.

Did you have a product idea in mind?

TheSpottedZebra Tue 06-Jan-15 18:30:09

Or a bus, buses are easier for pushchairs. But twin pushchairs are huge, so obviously trickier.

NotCitrus Tue 06-Jan-15 18:33:53

TfL Journey Planner for step-free access (ideally avoiding buses as well unless at the start of a route).
Other apps can provide more detail, eg Mumderground tells you numbers of steps at a station.

Walking from the nearest accessible station is usually the best bet.

Househusband1 Tue 06-Jan-15 20:12:46

Thanks for the advise everyone.

@EdithWeston - I don't have a specific product in mind as I was looking to see whether there was a solution already out there. Will have to get my thinking cap on...

Househusband1 Tue 06-Jan-15 20:13:11

*Advice

bishboschone Tue 06-Jan-15 22:09:48

How about a pushchair that has wheels like those trolleys for stairs . 3 wheels That rotate for stairs so you can pull them backwards easily ?

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Tue 06-Jan-15 22:11:21

Does she really find it an issue, or is it a confidence thing? I've always found that helpful passer's by were keen to grab a side and help. smile

QoFE Tue 06-Jan-15 22:14:42

Yes. It's called a sling :D

Admittedly more difficult with two babies but still.possible to carry both if they are small. Or just carry one and use a lightweight single . buggy for the other.

Artandco Fri 09-Jan-15 14:35:03

Sling one baby, and use babyzen yoyo buggy for the other. Sling both if x2 parents out together

5ChildrenandIt Fri 09-Jan-15 14:40:19

Phil&Teds. And an encylopedic knowledge of bus routes & tube stations with lifts.

bexibean Fri 09-Jan-15 20:18:18

The thing with doubles in Central London is that they aren't any fun when you have arrived where you are going either - taking a side by side into john lewis or chasing toddlers round the transport museum is done much easier with a single and a carrier! Best buggy option is something like an out an about 360 double as it's pretty robust for bumping up stairs , or a Phil and Teds for buses but it's actually not that difficult to avoid stairs, more and more stations are becoming step free, you rarely have to walk further than 15 mins to get around a problem. Sometimes it takes longer underground as you have to take a longer route to get to lifts but the tfl journey planner is really useful, it will also tell you about step free interchanges

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now