Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Best pushchair for bad back/pelvic pain

(12 Posts)
Emmywhites1985 Mon 17-Nov-14 11:33:13

Hi there,
I'm in need of some urgent mummy advice. It's my first pregnancy and I have a chronic back condition that mainly gives me pelvic pain. I'm doing really well so far!!! But I'm getting overloaded with pushchair options. I really need a lightweight pushchair that folds down easily. The problem is all the light ones seem to be compromising on quality or style.
I currently looking at the ICandy Cherry. This is 9.8kg and light as a feather , but has some compromises that I would prefer not to make (auto frame lock, no gate opening function, smaller wheels) BUT because I haven't had a baby before I don't know how important these details are?!?!
Can anyone with back problems recommend what they use/used. Or if they have found anything this light that is also durable. Thank you! It would mean a lot as I don't have anyone to really ask.

Esme

DeathMetalMum Tue 18-Nov-14 17:29:28

I have spd which can be agrivated by pushing too heavy objects (my double puschchair became a nightmare once dd2 was over 6 months) we have had a quinny buzz which was a dream to push and recently switched to a baby jogger city mini which is also lovely to push in comparison to other strollers I have tried.

I don't drive though so havent had to lift either in and out of a car boot very often. The quinny wasn't particularly heavy but I don't think I would enjoy lifting the frame in and out all the time.

Squtternutbaush Wed 19-Nov-14 18:34:35

The Easywalker Mosey might be worth a look.

It has foam filled tyre type wheels which would be much easier to push than the plastic ICandy wheels and weighs 10kg.

I haven't tried one personally but I hear a lot of rave reviews about them.

NishyM Wed 19-Nov-14 19:12:52

How tall are you Esme? This will make a difference, I got an ICandy Raspberry recently for my first as I'm petite and it's not too big for me plus I won't have to bend to far to reach baby

ThatsNotAKnifeThatsASpoon Wed 19-Nov-14 21:32:54

Hi I have an I candy cherry and got it because I have back problems. It's still going strong nearly 5 years and 2 kids later and I love how light it is. To be honest I don't know what the issues you listed are (apart from 'small' wheels - can't see the problem? It is very easy to push and steers brilliantly). I would definitely recommend it and it is also a very comfortable pushchair for the baby (nice deep seat).

By the way I am 5 ft 4" and did originally consider the stokke xplory as I heard it was good for back issues but it's huge and when I saw it in person I realised it wasn't great for a shorter person like me.

If you've any questions on the cherry I'm happy to answer.

Emmywhites1985 Wed 19-Nov-14 23:56:23

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond �� I really appreciate the advice. I will have a look at the city jogger! Xx

Emmywhites1985 Thu 20-Nov-14 00:09:08

Thanks all for your comments!
I'm 5"3 and quite petite so when I saw the Icandy cherry I did like how it didn't overwhelm my frame!
I also found the stokke very big in person.
It's brilliant to hear more about the icandy cherry and that it has stood the test of time! I have no specific issues with it, other than just wanting to know it does the job well. I might however pick your brains a bit more!
I think I will test the raspberry and I haven't heard of the easy Walker mosey before? Does anyone have any experience with this pushchair?
Thank you!! Xxx

Emmywhites1985 Thu 20-Nov-14 00:14:00

The other issues lister for the Icandy cherry were: the auto lock function and the gate bar not being able to open and close. Again I mentioned that because it's my first pregnancy I don't know how important these details are? Did they have any effect on you? Thank you again!!! Xx

ThatsNotAKnifeThatsASpoon Thu 20-Nov-14 09:30:56

hi esme I did a quick Google and still not entirely sure what those issues refer to, do you have a link to where you heard about them? The only thing I can think of is the part which links the chassis to the pushchair frame. The buttons on each side can be a bit sticky at times for this where it appears the seat is stuck in one position. I have always managed to unstick it by wiggling it a bit. It is annoying but it's only happened a handful of times in 5 years. Not sure what the gate bar is, sorry!

Ihateparties Thu 20-Nov-14 12:38:09

The gate opening bumper bar means you can press a button on one side and move it away to put the child in. I had a cherry for ds, I can't say I ever noticed the lack of this function. I did notice the autolock but I personally like not having one, it just depends what you do with your pushchair. I rarely fold them as I walk most places rather than driving or using buses, when I do fold for the car I tend to want to open it up again without too much fiddling about.

I haven't got a mosey, my youngest is approaching 3 now but that's what I would buy if I was starting again, in appears to have the best balance of features in a compact package. My only concern for you would be it's a one piece fold and they are pretty much always heavier to lift that some thing than separates into frame and seat.

Artandco Thu 20-Nov-14 12:49:19

Or go tiny like baby zen yoyo 0+. Has small wheels yes, but the lightest and easiest to fold there is.
Seat is lowish but if 5'3 it shouldn't be a problem for back

Squtternutbaush Thu 20-Nov-14 13:48:02

Do you walk a lot or will you be using the car/public transport more often?

I have a bad back and walk everywhere, I find that my 12kg Emmaljunga with fixed wheels strains my back less than my 8kg City mini because the big tyres give a lighter push on bumpy paths/grass/cobbles.

My pram has been folded twice in 20 months though and I wouldn't fancy lifting it in and out of the car!

I'm another who prefers not having the auto lock as its means less faffing when you want to put the frame back up.

Another one I've heard good things about is the Britax Affinity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now