Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Buggy for city break with 2.5yr old

(18 Posts)
ilovechops Sun 09-Nov-14 14:20:35

We are travelling to NYC later this year for a few days with DD who will be almost 3yrs. Normally she walks but as we are there for such a short time and there's jet lag to content with we think a lightweight buggy is a must. We want something really easy / portable as when going up and downstairs she will walk and we will just push her as needed. She won't nap in it.

Any ideas? I'm unsure of her weight so need to check that but she's quite slight but tall so that's a consideration too.

Any tips?

ilovechops Sun 09-Nov-14 14:23:17

I should add that as I said before she walks everywhere in the UK but tends to get tired after 45mins-1hr and I'm pregnant so can't carry her around now. DH can carry but has a bad back so we are think for this trip it's probably a must for such a short time in a huge city!

Artandco Mon 10-Nov-14 07:21:16

Look at the babyzen yoyo. I would say it's expensive for just a few days use but as your having another baby it's def worth it. You can get the 0+ part added to the 2014 model so can be used from newborn. Folds into handluggage size so perfect for this trip for eldest, and lots more with new baby.
It can be folded and hung off shoulder in a bag if you prefer to carry around whilst she walks, and can do the same on stairs etc. If your planning on arriving late you can take on plane as one of your handluggage so you can open and put her straight in if asleep off plane

rootypig Mon 10-Nov-14 07:29:56

Not a tip about the buggy but related - NYC can be freezing. Whatever you go for, plan to line it with something for her. John Lewis do a lovely washable lambskin if you can spare £50, or a blanket that you already have if not. Ie a blanket under her and one over her. Light buggy fabric is so thin.

Have a great time!

ilovechops Mon 10-Nov-14 09:50:53

Oh thanks for these tips! I have a sheepskin liner and would never have thought of that but will take that along for sure. Will check out the baby zen yo yo now as that sounds great!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 10-Nov-14 09:53:13

Petit Star Zia folds down tiny so you could fold and carry it up and down stairs/on underground etc. They usually go second hand on Gumtree etc for about £30/40. Not too sure about new price. Dont recline but as you dont need her to nap in it then that shouldnt be a bother.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 10-Nov-14 09:54:17

demo vid for Zia

Artandco Mon 10-Nov-14 09:54:58

Actually the babyzen yoyo 0+ is so good you could use as only pram for new baby. Unless you live somewhere very ofroad, but could even just use a sling for wood walks etc.

SoonToBeSix Mon 10-Nov-14 09:55:58

m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-striped-travel-stroller-multicoloured/p231301621?sku=231301621&kpid=231301621&s_kenid=130f4ef9-e23e-ae48-fbcc-000024575478&s_kwcid=403x165845&tmad=c&tmcampid=73&kpid=231301621#page_loaded
Only £35 and lighter than the babyzen

Artandco Mon 10-Nov-14 09:59:12

Six - true but that's a completely different legue of pram. Folds long so may not fit in taxis, def not able to take on plane as hand luggage, no recline, no basket, no shade, no rain cover ( good against wind), etc. Fine as a one off, but wouldn't be one I would recommend for someone due baby no two, and nowhere near as convient to carry hands free etc

SoonToBeSix Mon 10-Nov-14 10:12:35

Yes but it's for a city break , op said child doesn't need to nap. And of course it fits in taxis and why would you need a buggy in hand luggage for a nearly three year old.

Artandco Mon 10-Nov-14 10:23:56

Soon - I wouldn't be so sure. Last time we we in newyork was Easter. Mine were also 2 and 3 years at the time and I actually didn't take a pram, just sling for youngest if needed. The amount of people at taxi ranks getting annoyed that their umbrella style buggies wouldn't fit in the taxis was huge, most ended up with luggage in boot and pram in back by seats with feet resting on it. The taxi drivers say they always recommend prams that fold in half rather than long.
Even our bugaboo cameleon fitted in many boots where thin but long umbrella folds wouldn't

SoonToBeSix Mon 10-Nov-14 12:02:24

Ah ok didn't realise taxis were smaller in NYC.

NishyM Mon 10-Nov-14 14:25:01

Depends on your budget but I really like the ICandy raspberry because it folds with the seat on and you don't need a carrycot.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 10-Nov-14 14:52:26

That John Lewis pushchair doesnt look sturdy enough to survive a trip in the hold of an aeroplane.

SoonToBeSix Mon 10-Nov-14 15:41:56

One reviewer took it to Italy I would imagine they travelled by plane but maybe not.

SoonToBeSix Mon 10-Nov-14 15:43:03

Also another reviewer took it on eight flights and it lived to tell the tale grin

Ihateparties Mon 10-Nov-14 15:58:08

I had a mamas and papas buggy almost identical to the Jl one, it was very robust, would have been fine on a plane. If you ignore the second child thing I would definitely get something exactly like that again for this sort of situation. If I was also in the market for something to be used for second child then the yoyo definitely, nothing comes close for portability

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now