Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Confused about double buggies and expecting DS2 in 3 weeks - advice needed!

(6 Posts)
sassylassie Mon 31-Mar-14 12:47:53

I have a single Britax B-Agile travel system including Britax car seat and carry cot from when DS1 was newborn (he's now 26 months). Expecting DS2 in 3 weeks and haven't had proper chance to research double buggies and put it off as so confused and all seem so expensive, so desperately need some help now I'm finally on mat leave!!

I liked the sturdiness and comfort for my DS of our Britax, but I drove a lot and it's massive and heavy and was awful lifting in and out of the car after my 3rd degree tear and general weakness after being bed-bound for weeks. This time I'll be having a cesarean so weight will be a factor too.
Is there any way I can avoid shelling out for a whole new double travel system? I love the look of the Baby Joggers but even used ones seem to be going for £150 on eBay, and then there's the carrycot, car seat and raincovers etc to factor in... Not sure I'll be able to convince my DH we need one if it comes down to that - he thinks a buggy board or just walking would be fine for DS1 at 27 months, but if not strapped in, he will generally run around stores at top speed or possibly into a road. He hates his reins and I will not be able to chase him after a c-section and with a newborn! Anyone else been in a similar position? What did you do?

Thanks!

Arohaitis Mon 31-Mar-14 12:53:05

not much help but the out n about double nipper 360 was the best double (IMHO)

Ihateparties Mon 31-Mar-14 13:37:48

I had a b agile with an easy x rider buggyboard, 24m gap. Followed by a succession of tandems. Dd1 walked a reasonable amount of the time but isn't an enthusiastic walker even now at 4. Dd2 is basically a more compliant child, if she had been the elder child of the same gap a buggyboard and carrier that suited both children would have been fine.

Unless you really want rid then a board on the b agile should be feasible. If a double is the way to go a few ideas ; red kite twini, bjcmd, nipper as already mentioned is the very easiest thing to push, b agile twin if width isn't too much of an issue. Or tandems such as the oyster max, jane twone, obaby zezu multi. I've tried to stick to fairly lightweight things on that list, obviously there are loads more.

sassylassie Mon 31-Mar-14 22:18:25

Thank you, that's great. Ihateparties - good idea about carrier. I'm hoping to make more use of that this time round, so maybe that's a way I can still strap DS1 in when I need to without having to shell out for a double buggy. Will also look into the easy x rider buggyboard. Did that work well for you? What sort of distances did you walk with it? Maybe I'll just try with these options to begin with and play it by ear.

DH is taking 3 weeks off (paternity + annual leave) so I could get him to do the heavy lifting of the Britax beast for the first few weeks after my section til I'm hopefully a bit stronger! smile

Ihateparties Mon 31-Mar-14 22:27:53

Did you strip the fabrics off your b agile to use the carrycot? The frame without them is lighter, that much I do remember. More of a problem if you might want to use it for your toddler at times though.

The easy x rider was good generally but walking distances was my downfall. It stuck out a fair way so not comfortable to walk behind for any length of time and also the wheels are small and hard so although fairly smooth it's quite noisy. We used it for about 3 months before getting a tandem. It depends how you would need to use it imo. There is a picture on my profile of it on the b agile so you can see how far back it goes. Looking at that it looks as though there would be room for a child to stand inside the handle if you had a regular standing board, which would be more comfortable to use.

Tiggywunkle Wed 02-Apr-14 22:24:30

I know it sounds daft but dont worry too much about your C-Section. There will be a period of time where you really won't want to walk anywhere, and by the time you do, you will be raring to go and will be ready to lift whatever pushchair you have. Believe me, I have been there twice. Like you say DH will do the first 3 weeks for you, and you wont be driving for the first 5-6 weeks so the pushchair could be left up in the hall ready to go maybe?!. However I am a little bemused that you found the B-Agile heavy....if you are seriously looking at a double, then you will struggle to find anything light at all.
I honestly don't know what to say. By the age of 3, or shortly after, most children have gained some brains to walk sensibly. I would always use a wrist or backpack rein anyway especially near main roads and I think if your child protests, then the simple answer is that he doesn't get to go on an outing. YOU are in charge, and if reins solve your issue, then you need to MAKE your child wear them for his own safety. Otherwise, yes you will need to spend some money either on a decent sling for the baby, or a double pushchair. Fundamentally buggy boards IMHO are harder work than a double. Treat a double like a rental - buy well, sell well and it should cost you nothing for 6 months use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now