Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

So much research done, still not sure!

(21 Posts)
nbryant Tue 25-Mar-14 06:41:00

I live in the country, so need something with big tyres that will tackle off road well, but have two small car boots (polo and fiesta)CEO am really limited. I think after weeks of research I've narrowed it to:

Baby jogger elite
Jane Trider

But now I'm stuck ! I love that the trider is parent facing but can't find much on it, so am guessing that's not a good thing! The elite looks amazing, sunshade, large seat, good reviews, but I'm not sure about the ff option only.

Should I just go with the beast that is the elite and get the popular yoyo as parent facing for when we just need an urban option? Is the trider really that bad!?

Any help, much appreciated. This research is starting to drive me mad! Money isn't really a deciding factor, but I only have one shot, there's no rebuying option with my husband. It's either elite + small one like yoyo, or trider and something cheaper like nuna pepp luxx, no changing my mind!

KatAndKit Tue 25-Mar-14 06:43:29

Will a baby jogger versa go in your car? That way you get big seat, quick fold and parent facing option.

nbryant Tue 25-Mar-14 07:08:38

Haven't looked at that one, would that be ok off road?

KatAndKit Tue 25-Mar-14 07:34:51

Not sure, ive never owned one. I can get a bugaboo donkey in the boot of my polo and that has lovely big wheels so does the buffalo. All depends on how you feel about having to remove the back wheels every time. A vista might fit with wheels off and that has big tyres.

NickyEds Tue 25-Mar-14 09:51:29

We have a quinny buzz and it's great off road- also when you buy the chassis you can go from 1 to 2 front wheels and replace the big back wheels cheaply if all the off roading knackers them!! It fit in the boot of MIL ford ka and thats pretty small- wheels come off really easily so it isn't a problem doing it every time you use it.

dinkystinky Tue 25-Mar-14 09:52:56

Versa would fit (I have a polo) and I love it - would suggest Versa GT but not suitable from birth (and the carrycot attachment would need to go on rear seat for a few months).

missmargot Tue 25-Mar-14 09:55:46

I have the Trider and love it, it's amazing off road and Which rate it really highly for that. You do need a decent sized boot but that's the only downside. I have the travel system with the Strata and Transporter 2 and really rate all of them.

Tiggywunkle Tue 25-Mar-14 15:56:09

I think an Elite and YoYo sounds like a dreamy combination personally. My only hestitation is you have no long term parent facing if you want it. Have you looked at the iCandy Peach Jogger and the Bugaboo Buffalo as off road options?

nbryant Tue 25-Mar-14 19:38:53

Thanks you so far! The lack of a parent facing option does concern me, maybe if should revisit the Buffalo. I know the elite is big when unfolded, but was trying to look for smallish items when folded. I presumed the buffalo would be quite large.

I'm trying to work out if parent facing is a deal breaker, they both look so good and tick every other box!

nbryant Tue 25-Mar-14 19:41:40

Baby2k still have a good voucher code bringing the buffalo down to £780. Back on review sites!

KatAndKit Tue 25-Mar-14 19:43:38

For me parent facing is a deal breaker. I really like being able to chat to my toddler as we walk.

missmargot Wed 26-Mar-14 07:06:10

If it helps this is the Jane package we went for, it was really good value for money especially with the Transporter included:
www.trendybaby.co.uk/jane-trider-formula-3-in-1-travel-system-in-cosmos-special-offer-price
It has parent facing options and the Transporter is the safest option for a newborn as they lie completely flat, it can be used a a travel cot too with a different mattress.

nbryant Wed 26-Mar-14 17:11:25

That looks amazing, thank you! I wasn't sure if no news about the trider in comparison to the baby jogger meant bad news?

The other option is stick with the baby jogger and buy a bugaboo bee instead of the yoyo as that's parent facing. I've just read such varying reviews of them and the yoyo sounds so convenient to chuck inn the car or for travel. Part of me thinks me think so many babies have ff only, it can't damage their development significantly or companies wouldn't sell as many. The time spent in a buggy its such a small proportion. Most of the day will be spent conversing anyway.

I think I'm definitely giving this too much thought. I've spent two months on research. Each time I think I've made a decision I change my mind. My poor husband is sick of me talking about it and has ordered me to get whatever I want, no questions asked!

missmargot Thu 27-Mar-14 15:39:28

It's so easy to overthink buggies. I made the decision on what element was most important to me, in my case off road capability, then made the purchase based on that. The Trider has been amazing, walking through woods and fields in the wet and mud with no issues at all. The Transporter is an added bonus as small babies aren't supposed to be in a standard car seat for more than two hours and it's three hours drive to my parents so it's been really helpful for us.

Artandco Fri 28-Mar-14 09:06:18

What about the mountain buggy? You can use a carrycot then the face to face addition to prolong parent facing. Takes a car seat if needed

Artandco Fri 28-Mar-14 09:12:42

Or the easywalker June? Seems fairly large wheels etc

niffynoo Fri 28-Mar-14 09:28:10

I have a Trider and echo what Miss Margot says. It's been brilliant - we live in the middle of nowhere and go "cross country" the whole time and it's great. It does have the typical 3 wheeler problem of tipping if you go at the wrong angle downhill fast....

We also had the transporter flat car seat which was so useful as you can keep them in it after your drive without worrying about their backs and therefore waking them. The car seat also lasts forever when you turn it to sitting - my 85percentile 14 month old should have another month at least in it.

Needanotherpushchair Fri 28-Mar-14 11:17:57

I really under-estimated the importance of parent facing. Before ds was born I did loads of research and bought a City Mini as our "throw in the car and head off" stroller for when he was starting to grow up and I could no longer heave him and the carseat onto the chassis. However, he hated it as he was facing away from me. I'm not being dramatic when I say that for a month (until I figured out the problem) we couldn't go anywhere. He just cried and screamed if we went in shops, the library etc. It's all better now he's facing me again. All babies are different of course but for my ds it's parent facing or real upset.

Laquila Fri 28-Mar-14 13:40:07

The BJ Versa is definitely worth considering - we have the GT and it's brilliant, especially off-road. We also use it a lot in town/shops though. If you can fit it in your boot, with a carrycot for the first 5-6 months, then I can't see how you'd go wrong.

Laquila Fri 28-Mar-14 13:43:32

FWIW though, the Jane Rider was one of our final choices, and I don't think you'd be disappointed if you got that, and I do like the idea of the lie-flat car seat.

Kikidee1993 Mon 31-Mar-14 12:07:56

What about a Baby Jogger Summit X3? It's not parent facing but it has big wheels but the great Baby Jogger folding mechanism so it might fit in your boot.

Good deal on www.buggybaby.co.uk/view/baby-jogger-summit-x3-single

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now