Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

I need new ideas for a double, can't afford Stroll Air My Duo

(12 Posts)
FlyLikeABird Mon 24-Mar-14 08:45:01

I REALLY want the My Duo but can't justify the cost and am having no luck on eBay etc, they are just going for too high a price.

So back to the drawing board. DD is currently an average sized 12 mth old, DC2 is due in August.

I have a Jane Matrix car seat which I could use for DC2 but not adverse to buying a different one if needs be. I used the matrix loads as a moses basket, pram and occasional car seat for DD so it certainly did the job well. So I was thinking of getting a second hand Twone, a bit more availability on eBay but again quite expensive or too far away to collect (I'd travel to Mars for a cheap(ish) My Duo grin). This would mean I could use the car seat again and I would plan for DD to use the lower seat but I've heard it isn't great for getting in and out of. I don't want to have to take the Matrix off regularly, it weighs a tonne!

Could anyone offer some alternatives? I see a lot of Nipper 360s around in my town and I could get the older style for a bargain. Should I perhaps go down this route.

I plan to use a wrap for DC2 as I won't have the luxury of sitting around with a baby on my chest like I did for DD but I'm aware I could have a Csection or other post birth problems which make this difficult.

It's also worth noting side by side would suit me better as I would like to get at both DC easily and also have access to the basket - this won't be possible with the Twone.

Argh, I know I'm going to overthink this smile

MiaowTheCat Mon 24-Mar-14 12:43:09

Nippers are fab - I sold mine on to someone who had a Stroll Air and it had broken on her fairly rapidly.

FlyLikeABird Mon 24-Mar-14 16:34:08

Oooh, that sounds good. That info may save me £££ (not that I have £££s grin)

Ihateparties Mon 24-Mar-14 23:12:09

You can only put the matrix in the lower position on the twone when using it as a tandem, so your elder one will have the top seat. That is better for access. As the matrix sits up I assume you can use it for longer and put off putting the second seat on? DD1 could climb in and out of the lower seat on the twone, putting her in was harder and nigh on impossible if she was in an arse. This was fine for us as she was 24m when dd2 was born and 30m by the time she was a candidate for the lower seat so her being in it or not was much less of an issue. If you prefer a side by side though, given the relatively small age gap then they are usually quite a lot simpler all round if you can handle the extra width.

Tiggywunkle Tue 25-Mar-14 09:25:53

I wouldn't get an older Nipper as they are wider than a standard doorway. Its worth paying the extra for a narrow 72cms V2 or V3 one.

FlyLikeABird Tue 25-Mar-14 11:52:12

Thanks Ihateparties I hadn't realised that the combination I wanted wasn't possible, i.e. baby at the top, DD hopping into the bottom seat. I can now see there would be nowhere for DDs head grin I had the Twone in mind because I got so much use from the Matrix seat as it could go from fully flat to seated and DD had reflux to start then was incredibly nosy so kept her happy. Perhaps the next baby will be a nice sleepy one!

So that's decided the Twone is out, the Stroll Air sounds like it could fall apart and the V1 Nipper is too wide.

I will have a look at V2 and V3 Nippers and think about the pram attachment so the new baby can face me. Might stop DD poking it too.

Thanks for all the advice. Are there any other doubles that are glaringly obvious that I should be looking at?

Ihateparties Tue 25-Mar-14 12:50:22

The oyster max - you can parent face your baby lying flat on top with elder dc in lower seat. There isn't an enormous amount of space but it can work. The obaby zezu multi tandem also offers the seat positions you wanted the twone to do, the lower seat doesn't recline and looks fairly short in the back but it may be an option. If you want to look at the photos on my profile there are twone ones and also the smyths toys dimples duo, which they stopped making but that did the baby on top, toddler below, still with a basket thing really well. If it had been available 2 years ago I would definitely have tried a nipper with carrycot.

FlyLikeABird Wed 26-Mar-14 13:39:23

Thanks again Ihateparties.

I did discount the Oyster Max a while back but can't quite remember why, I think it's because or the small basket space with the two seats in. Looking at most tandems this seems to be an issue and also looks like hanging a bag from the handle would cause more bulk. I love the Dimples Duo though, can't find any for sale at the moment.

I think I will go with side by side as I don't go into small shops that often so the extra width won't cause too much hassle and there's the added bonus of a monster basket. I can see with two DCs the basket is going to start coming into it's own. My current Corcord Neo has a tiny bag which hasn't been a problem so far as I had a great nappy bag.

Am watching a few Nippers on eBay so may get one this weekend, I can always sell on if a better option comes along. I see them everywhere where I live so they must be ok smile

Freyathecatt Wed 26-Mar-14 13:52:25

If you want a sideby side why not consider a baby jogger city mini double? We have the single GT and i think we'll be upgrading to the double when no2 comes along. It has a brilliant fold and is narrow enough to get through most doorways. No parent facing option though...

Ihateparties Wed 26-Mar-14 14:50:59

There is for a newborn as the bjcm gt double and city mini double from 2011 onwards take the compact carrycot. Nipper is narrower though, if that's not a big issue the baby jogger fold is easier imo.

poocatcherchampion Fri 28-Mar-14 21:39:37

I've just got a graco sport duo for a holiday. I also have a oyster Max. the graco is heaver to push and large although flat when folded but the basket is huuuuge and the babies love sitting next to each other. the 2yo hasn't walked since we got it. worth a look and mine was only £40 on eBay. wondering whether the oyster was extravagant now.. smile.

FlyLikeABird Fri 04-Apr-14 22:40:32

Thanks for all the help. I'm feeling more clueless than ever after having another look tonight.

I still like the basket size and robustness of the Nipper but I'm worried about the straps for a newborn and would prefer separate hoods that come down further. That would point me towards the City Mini but there's something about it I don't like and the basket looks a bit restricted. So there's also the MB duet.

Also looked again at the Oyster Max and reconsidered that as the top seat can take a newborn. All being well this will be an August baby so I was planning on not having a carrycot and using my sheepskin liner, which converts to a footmuff if it is cooler... or maybe a cocoon. But where would the nappy bag and shopping go?

Side by side seems to offer better basket space but they all look so cumbersome. But how long would I need the two seats for?

I have discounted one, the City Select as I think it will be too difficult to manouever as I regularly go up and down curbs and steps. Gah, I just don't know what to choose, I guess I can't afford to get it wrong confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now