Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Bugaboo straps DRIVE ME INSANE

(11 Posts)
nobodysawmedoit Thu 20-Mar-14 15:35:22

I just want to check, am I the only one who finds the harness in the Bugaboo Bee totally and utterly useless? My child is of normal height and shape (one head, two arms, shoulders etc) but the straps just DO.NOT.WORK. The bits that go over the legs, yes, they strap in (although they're already quite tight and he's no Thunder Thighs), the bit of strap that comes up between the legs is so short and tight it's in danger of changing him into a girl before he turns 3, and the bits over the shoulders are so useless it's been months since I even bothered trying to get his arms in (cue: lots of falling to side of pushchair and unpleasant injury). They are just so badly placed that all he has to do is move one milimetre and he's pulled his shoulders out of the straps on both sides and is free. There's absolutely no way to keep him in, unless possibly I did it up Sooooooooooooooo tight that he was in danger of suffocating.
They drive me BLOODY MAD!!! I would love to chuck the whole thing in and get a new pushchair but what a waste of money. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Bragadocia Thu 20-Mar-14 15:39:05

Yes, it's awful and maddening. I loved the Bee in every other respect, but for the straps. They get all twisty too, which used to drive me insane. We changed to a second hand Frog at 18 months.

IShallCallYouSquishy Thu 20-Mar-14 15:41:48

I have the bee and my 22 month old has no issues. You know you can make the leg but longer? And if you pull the back up it brings the shoulder straps higher so they sit flatter?

yesnoyesnoyesno Thu 20-Mar-14 15:44:00

Agreed. Main problem is the bit between the legs. It's at the longest it'll go. And arms very easy to get out of, i think possibly for this reason. Surely the clasp should do up around their belly button area, not between their legs.

nobodysawmedoit Thu 20-Mar-14 15:47:54

squishy- I've pulled the seat out as far as possible, and tried to pull up the back rest too but it always gets dragged back down by the fact that the shoulder harness goes into the really short crotch strap and that pulls it backwards IYSWIM. If I do up the shoulder straps tight, it just pulls it down. If I leave them loose, the backrest stays up but the straps fall off.
HOnestly, it's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. You would have to have the shoulders of a Wales forward prop for this harness to work.
Bragadocia-are the Frog straps different?

nobodysawmedoit Thu 20-Mar-14 15:49:14

... and don't even get me started on the twistiness...

TinyPenguin Thu 20-Mar-14 16:00:13

I know what you mean, I emailed Bugaboo about this & they said they I would have to purchase a longer length buckle bit as out of warranty at 2 years old. I made the point that this issue hadn't become apparent until ds was actually 2 but no reply received tut!
If you're still in warranty you should be able to get replacement free.

nobodysawmedoit Thu 20-Mar-14 16:15:10

Well d'uh! Of course the problem is going to arise once the kid/buggy is over 2 years old - what a crappy response! (Although having said that, i always thought the straps were rubbish - I assumed they'd fit better once he grew bigger - instead it just got worse).
When did you email them Penguin? I don't see what the warranty period has to do with it - the buggy is advertised as being suitable up until age 4? 5? Well beyond 2 years anyway - and it's not like you broke the strap, the strap was always the wrong size for a human child.

TinyPenguin Fri 21-Mar-14 09:28:17

I know! And it's £9 to buy one... This was there response in September:

Please note that as per the date of purchase, the stroller is no longer under the two years of warranty.
Therefore in this case we are unable to provide it for you under warranty and you can purchase a new longer crotch strap directly through our web store.

I hope you find this information to be of use. Should you require any further assistance, please feel free to contact me.

With kind regards,

nobodysawmedoit Fri 21-Mar-14 09:33:41

That's ridiculous. I'm going to contact them too and see what they say. Will keep you posted.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Fri 21-Mar-14 12:33:19

I love my Bee but DS now he's 2 always wriggles his arms out the straps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now