Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

iPad in a Pushchair - does it work for you?! Cosatto Supa

(19 Posts)
sarah79mums Fri 21-Feb-14 23:34:58

Hi
I've noticed that Cosatto have a "multimedia gadget pocket with speaker" for their high-end Supa pushchair. This gave me the idea (in response to a thread I posted in the sleep forum) that it might help to settle my 4 month-old when my husband and I are out and about e.g. cafe/dinner. It has an iPad-sized, clear pocket in the hood, that's viewable from the seat. We haven't got a pushchair yet and wonder if anyone has had any experience of this model? I'm not sure how I feel about getting my wee one into the iPad quite yet! And it seems like a fair bit of weight to have in the hood?
Thanks

McPheezingMyButtOff Fri 21-Feb-14 23:37:19

Fgs

That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard of.

I hear parental interaction works

hmm

FuckyNell Fri 21-Feb-14 23:38:33

Oh my god. The world has gone mad.

Twighlightsparkle Fri 21-Feb-14 23:40:25

Oh dear this will get erm interesting heated

It's so wrong in my opinion on many levels

a 4 month old? Doesn't need entertained by technology, in my opinion exploring the world and surroundings whilst in the pushchair, or parental interaction is the key to " entertainment"

McPheezingMyButtOff Fri 21-Feb-14 23:41:47

People will think you have a screw loose. Just sayin...

LittleBearPad Fri 21-Feb-14 23:41:47

It sounds dreadful.

Procrastreation Fri 21-Feb-14 23:51:38

It just won't mean anything to a 4 month old.

I think there may be an argument for a bumper bar mounted thingy for an older toddler (not ideal - but walk a mile in someone's shoes etc - better than the gadget getting smashed).

Procrastreation Fri 21-Feb-14 23:53:21

But I think you might have the wrong end of the stick - I think the baby is meant to listen to it, rather than look at it.

Thinking about it - my DD actually had exclusive use of an iPod touch at that age - which I used (with an appropriate app) as a white noise machine to help her sleep.

pumpkinsweetie Fri 21-Feb-14 23:56:17

Tree, birds, cars, people: surely these should be the things to entertain a 4 m old

sarah79mums Sat 22-Feb-14 00:05:57

Yeah, I know it sounds a bit (or a lot) "out there" and don't get me wrong, I avoid almost all gadgety stuff when it comes to my boy - but I suppose I'm imagining a visual form of white noise, to help calm him when the pram stops... as opposed to Disney! I don't think I've got the wrong end of the stick; I looked at one today and it would seem a remarkable coincidence that there's what appears to be an iPad-sized pocket in the hood, with the see-through bit facing downwards confused

LittleBearPad Sat 22-Feb-14 08:36:17

Why would you need visual white noise. Just put the hood down and let him look at stuff.

sarah79mums Sat 22-Feb-14 09:55:52

Hi
I should probably explain the context of my other thread, where I was looking for "any tips/ products/ tricks to help settle their wee ones off to sleep when out-and-about, when they're tired but just fighting it so much."
When on the move, I love seeing the fascination on his face with looking at clouds and trees and planes, etc.
So my problem is how to help to settle my wee one off to sleep, I'm not trying to substitute the all-important "taking in the world" stimulation. That's why I mentioned "visual white noise"; I just meant a calming distraction with the hood down, while he magically drifts off!
Thanks for the replies... and any other ideas smile
S

ConfusedDotty Sat 22-Feb-14 10:00:21

Just wrong on so many levels.

I can just imagine the sort of parents this would attract, did it have a sausage roll and Fruit Shoot holder too?

curiousgeorgie Sat 22-Feb-14 10:05:28

I'm all for iPads for children, I think they can be amazing...

But I don't think in the pram hood makes any sense? Maybe I'm missing something..

My DD played with an iPad from about 10/11 months in restaurants etc, I don't think they really do anything for a 4 month old, it's a bit too young to take anything in.

LittleBearPad Sat 22-Feb-14 14:47:33

So if you want him to go to sleep put the hood up, put a muslin over the gap so there's nothing to distract him and push the buggy. He does not need an ipad to go to sleep.

Tiggywunkle Sat 22-Feb-14 22:21:43

In the hood like this?
The OrbitBaby Double Helix also has an iPad holder too.

I agree absolutely with the majority of children enjoying the word around them rather than having an iPad in the hood. Ny two would never have one when walking down the street.

However I can also see the value of having a child harnessed into their pushchair at times with an iPad to watch (although there can't be that many apps which simply run without the child interacting?) - my children have had times had to sit through meetings at school and have been given iPads to use to keep them occupied and quiet. At least there would be no fear of them being dropped.

I have to say there absolutely is value in starting a young baby off with an iPad. My LO was using one more or less at birth for sounds and general visual stimuli which quickly developed into tracking and early interactions.

emmeM Wed 24-Sep-14 11:47:14

ive just ordered the casatto bow how pushcair, its my 9th pushchair and my daughters is only 15 months old!!!! i have the out and about nipper which is amazing especially as i live rural, cant fault that. except its too big for public transport and nightmare to get in car, but as i mainly walk everywhere its perfect. anyway back to the casatto, i ordered this as it looks lovely and has great reviews, didnt realise till after that it had the speaker and mp3 adapter. i thought it was great. im not a technicle person at all i can barly use this computer and living ruraly my daughter is always in touch with nature. but i totally get what this women is saying. my 3 hour bus journey to my mums is sooo agernising with a toddler. you can entertain her as much as possible by looking out the window taking books and toys, but a toddler will just see the same tree and car go past just different colours, it all looks the same. and she wont sleep,she never gives in!!! and isnt the toys that children get these days much more advanced, far from a pack of dominos or a wooden spinning top!!!! so i think the mp3 adapter is an excellent idea as you can play audio stories, music, meditation music, all sorts!!! so its just something extra for entertainment. i think the world went mad a long time ago so its not exactly the worst thing invented i can think of other things.....

sleepingdragon Wed 24-Sep-14 12:00:51

My 12 week old watches a few high contrast baby videos from YouTube. He finds them stimulating (definitely wouldn't fall asleep to them) and they only hold his attention for a few minutes (definitely not long enoughfor a coffee or dinner). I always swore I would not become evangelical about slings but this is the third time I have suggested them in 24 hours- my DS has lovely long daytime naps in a sling, and when he is awake is entertained by what we are doing. I have sat for long meals and done long journeys with him either sleeping or just being entertained by looking around. He usually cries after a few minutes in the pram.

frazzledaddy Thu 06-Nov-14 23:16:15

I think iPads are really good for children as there are a tonne of apps and games out there that are educational whilst being fun and engaging. However, IMHO its probably wasted on a 4m old! A word of advice though, do get a decent case as kids will not respect your iPad like you will. check out www.childproofmytablet.com for some good options.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now