Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

When to switch from carrycot to seat in bugaboo buffalo?

(6 Posts)
Pistachiotruffle Tue 11-Feb-14 11:55:45

My very nosy and alert 2 month old ds hates the bassinet/carrycot on the bugaboo, and unless he's asleep will cry and whinge as he isn't able to see me or see out. For this reason I've been using the maxi cosi carseat on adapters for short trips which he much prefers, but I know it's not recommended to use them for extended periods. I know bugaboo say the seat is suitable from six months but no information of minimum weight, and I really can't see him lasting that long in the carrycot!
Someone in one of the shops we looked in suggested it would be possible to use it a bit earlier in conjunction with the footmuff, but I'm wondering how feasible this is?
He has excellent head control and will happily sit on a knee looking around, but doesn't even like to be cradled when not sleepyhmm

KatAndKit Tue 11-Feb-14 12:28:41

Mamas and papas sell a newborn wedge insert, you could try that in your seat unit if he really won't tolerate the carrycot. A footmuff alone doesn't change the fact that the seat is shaped and not flat.

Ihateparties Tue 11-Feb-14 13:49:33

The issues with seat unit and carseat are the same ones I think (? Struggling to find real research not just reports of research) - oxygen desaturation, abdominal compression, the different way babies breathe as compared to adults, muscle control whilst sleeping..which is apparently more reflex and not the same as awake. I'm just parroting random bits I have read over time. Purely opinion but at least some of it doesn't seem to related to waking head/muscle control but more related to the kind of development you can't really see.

For various reasons some babies don't much like/really don't tolerate carrycots, wedges are great for this, the mamas and papas one is very reasonably priced, there are other too - stokke, uppababy snugseat, silver cross surf nest, smartmuff. I don't know if it's possible with the buffalo but when I had a gecko I got a second seat frame, then for the inbetween period I could put the carrycot on for some trips and the seat for other, shorter, more awake ones.

Pistachiotruffle Tue 11-Feb-14 21:57:18

Thanks for the replies - it hadn't occurred to me that it was the shaped seat that would cause the issue, I just thought that as other reclining pram seats were suitable from before six months it might work. It does seem that those ones lie almost completely flat without the shaped seat though, which would explain the difference. The wedge seems like it might be an good compromise in the meantime, I can't seem to find the mamas and papas one though, could anyone post a link?
It's slightly annoying as one of the reasons we went for the buffalo is the large size of the carrycot so it would last longer - just goes to show babies have ideas of their own!

Ihateparties Tue 11-Feb-14 22:14:10

They sure do grin..

The m&p wedge is here the others are probably to be found largely on ebay and probably cost a similar amount by the time you find one and have it posted to you.

Personally I would try to stick with the carrycot for as long as you sensibly can, it is annoying though, the system of hanging either fabric off the same frame makes for a not particularly flexible system.

Pistachiotruffle Tue 11-Feb-14 22:26:14

Aha, Thankyou! I will definitely hold out as long as possible, hoping to get to at least 4-5 months before switching. I'm getting good at ignoring the glances from little old ladies as he squawks from the carrycot grin Thankfully at the minute it doesn't take long on the move before he drifts off!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now