Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

How essential is a double buggy?!

(23 Posts)
Zoogeek Sat 01-Jun-13 17:30:19

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Offcolour Sat 01-Jun-13 17:33:31

We had the same gap and I didn't get one, I just got a buggy board. But we're out in the country so have to drive everywhere and didn't need one for long walks, dc1 walks or goes on dh's shoulders. I think it depends on how many long walks you're planning to take on your own and whether your dc1 will wait nicely next to the buggy/ hold hands or if they're a bolter.

CruCru Sat 01-Jun-13 17:34:14

A friend with the same age gap didn't have one. She had a scooter for the older child. You could get a buggy board.

yummymumtobe Sat 01-Jun-13 17:35:48

I am going to get one / my dd will be 26 months when baby arrives. She is very active and loves running around and I just can't imagine what it would be liking trying to make it round the shops with her on a buggy board! If you are out for a while you want both children to be comfy and I think a toddler would get tired having to stand and also no way of napping. I live in London though so am usually out with the buggy anyway. I guess if you live somewhere you drive a lot and aren't out with the buggy for hours at a time though then you could get away with a buggy board.

TiredyCustards Sat 01-Jun-13 17:37:22

Hello, I carried dc2 in an ergo sling all the time until he was 8mo, with dc1 in the buggy.

Dc1 is now 2.9 and is just getting into walking, but we still definitely need the double buggy (i don't drive)

I got our babyweavers tandem half price £110 pn kiddicare.com, you can get bargains on eBay + facebook too.

So my advice would be, get a sling before dc2 is born, then see how you go. Congratulations!

NotAnotherNewNappy Sat 01-Jun-13 17:54:59

I managed to get a second hand P&T, which I was really proud of

NotAnotherNewNappy Sat 01-Jun-13 17:57:09

... Sorry posted too soon. I then spent months pushing an empty tank of a buggy with DD2 in a sling and DD1 walking or riding her scooter.

Is money is tight, go with a sling and a buggy oats instead.

lljkk Sat 01-Jun-13 18:06:47

I couldn't have managed without a double, but I like to walk everywhere and most people most certainly do not walk more than about 10 minutes a day. Without a buggy or buggy board you'll rely on the car or getting lifts/bus/taxi more. It depends how you want to organise your lifestyle.

llamallama Sat 01-Jun-13 18:15:49

Keep an eye on gum tree for double buggies! Our seems full of them and generally seem to be in great condition, I'm guessing because people don't tend to use them for as long as they do singles.

Ihateparties Sat 01-Jun-13 18:18:20

There are a couple of buggyboards with seats too, adds another option for that awkward stage where a double would be useful but for a very short space of time.

It has been said already above but basically a lot of it is in what you do and where you do it plus the nature of your toddler.

mikkii Sat 01-Jun-13 18:25:30

DS was 2.7 when DD1 was born. I had bought a chicco double, but it was too heavy for DM to push, she can push a single instead of using her walking sticks so she thinks she doesn't look so old! So ended up using 2 singles.

I had a buggy board but hated it as I was forever kicking the damn thing as I walked. When DD2 was born DD1 was 3.5 so I made her walk!

Newrowsees Sat 01-Jun-13 18:32:29

I originally planned to go without a double buggy (22 month gap), but caved and got a second hand one from gumtree after a couple of months. I was using my ergo for the baby and pushing the toddler in a lightweight buggy, or holding his hand if he felt like walking, but there were situations where it was really unworkable. Our Phil and Teds has been invaluable, even if only for a short time, as DS1 is walking a bit more these days. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the model we have though.

forevergreek Sun 02-Jun-13 20:22:51

We didn't with a very small gap ( under 18 months). The buggy board and sling option work well. In fact we would go for a wander lots with baby in sling and toddler well.. Toddling!

We walk miles now 2 years on as has gradually got used to it.
The way I see it you don't usually need to rush around unless you choose to, so take things slow for 6 months or so.
2.5 years means that by the time baby is born, you have all got used to new baby and life with two, it's 3 Months gone and eldest is already 2.8 years. Letting them wander to the local shops/ park/ ducks with you and another 3 months gone. Now almost 3 years..

I would look for a buggy board maybe and if your buggy is suitable from birth without a carrycot then you could let oldest ride if needed and baby in sling.

Worse case, buy one when you have had baby and tried without

sillyoldfool Sun 02-Jun-13 20:31:13

I'd get a moby sling for the baby, and stick with the single buggy whilst trying to get the older one scooting/walking as much as possible.
2y9m gap last time and by that point we slung/scooted everywhere, didn't even use the single buggy except for day trips. We don't drive and walk a lot every day.
This time will have a slightly smaller gap and planning on doing the same again.
Not using a buggy makes getting on buses etc so so so much easier.

sillyoldfool Sun 02-Jun-13 20:35:00

You can keep your eye out for a bargain and buy then resell if you don't need it though.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Sun 02-Jun-13 20:35:06

No double buggy here either, age difference of 2 years 8 months. Combination of buggy board for DD1 with DD2 in buggy or DD1 in buggy and DD2 in sling. Worked a charm and we had no space to store a double!

miffybun73 Sun 02-Jun-13 20:40:55

I got second hand Twin Techno for £45 on e-bay and used it most days for about a year so definitely worth it as far as i was concerned.

You don't NEED one, but it will definitely make your life much easier i think smile

lastnightidreamt Sun 02-Jun-13 20:41:48

We didn't bother with a double buggy - even with a 2.1 year gap. I found a buggy board was sufficient, but DS was a good walker and it was only from car to shop to park etc.

lastnightidreamt Sun 02-Jun-13 20:43:26

Thinking about it, I have a Maclaren one in my garage that a friend gave to me and I never used. PM me to see if we're anywhere near each other! It would be a freebie!

NoodieRoodie Sun 02-Jun-13 20:47:37

DS will be 2 years exactly when DC2 arrives in October and I'm not planing on getting a double. We walk everywhere (no car during the week) and I'm getting DS to walk more and more as practise. I'm planning on using a combination of sling/buggy/buggy board.

christinarossetti Sun 02-Jun-13 20:51:43

I didn't have one with a 2.2 year age gap; although there were times when I wished I had one, it wasn't enough to go out a buy one. Used combination of sling, buggy board etc.

If one comes your way freely or cheaply then go for it. Otherwise, wait until the baby is here and see how you get on. The winter was the time i wished I had one tbh, so that both children could stay warm and dry and I could pelt home.

chickabilla Sun 02-Jun-13 20:52:50

Depends how much you walk and if the older one will need a nap when you are out. We walk at least 5 miles a day and have a long school run for DS1 and a newborn who wants to.feed a lot so the second hand P+T has been invaluable. We were fine with a buggy board for the first 2 though.

Ihateparties Sun 02-Jun-13 22:00:04

I defo agree with chika you can pootle much more with dc1 and 2 (usually, depends obvs on your life, where you need to be etc.) but I have had a lot more use out of a double with 2 and 3. Dc1 is a liability though, the whole training him to walk sensibly and reliably is STILL an ongoing process hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now