Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

What's the difference between BJCM and the BJCM GT?

(15 Posts)
jumperooo Fri 24-May-13 15:37:46

DP said today he thinks our Uppababy Vista is getting a bit big and cumbersome for our needs now and perhaps we should sell it and get something a bit more compact. Whilst we really love the features and push of the Vista, and nearly 8month old DD loves being in it, it takes up a lot of space and isn't practical for holidays etc. the resale value is excellent for Vista's so we are thinking we will get quite a bit back and easily cover the cost of something like the BJCM which might be more versatile and be the last one we need to buy. (Have also got a second hand maclaren , and have bought and already sold a petite star zia)

So what's the difference between the two Baby Joggers, in terms of features, price etc? Any thoughts appreciated!

Ihateparties Fri 24-May-13 16:07:21

The cmgt has a height adjustable handle, gt wheels (which are kind of mock air wheels, or at least not conventional ones that can puncture) and the hood is lower than on the regular city mini meaning taller children will sit their their head on the folded hood. This can be avoided by having the hood pulled out one notch. Not as issue for an 8m old but it is there in the future.

I do feel like i should point out that although they are somewhat smaller and the fold is very different/simpler neither is a huge amount smaller than the vista (if at all going on open dimensions) I don't know how important that is to you. I liked my cmgt a great deal but in the end day to day I need something more compact. On the other side of this though is the cm and the gt will have a general feel of being comparable quality to the vista, there is a bit of a lack of genuinely small pushchairs that share this feeling imo.

Ihateparties Fri 24-May-13 16:10:46

Oh also consider the cm4 if you lean towards the normal mini - increased stability.

The britax b agile and b motion are similar products too grin

jumperooo Fri 24-May-13 17:12:19

Hmm ok thank you. Mothercare have the cm for 169.99 this weekend with free delivery which seems a massive bargain as I've seen them going secondhand for nearly this on eBay.

I love the vista, its been great since birth and we don't have a car so use it for walking day in day out. And for a big pushchair it turns on a sixpence but it takes up quite a bit of room in shops, on public transport etc. When we went swimming with DD today for the first time I realised it wouldn't have fitted easily in the changing rooms or in the buggy area (we took the cheapy maclaren).

We will be getting a car later this year and hopefully DD will be walking when she's a year old, I don't know whether we should just keep the vista for walking and shopping and the maclaren for travel, swimming etc. Not sure what I need really. Did think the Vista would be our only pushchair :-/

Aargh!

Ihateparties Fri 24-May-13 18:56:46

It's v hard to have an only pushchair, you just have to take the compromises in that case. Go look and try them in a shop, at least you get a feel for them that way. You may feel differently to me and perceive them as more compact. The vista is a tall pushchair so this might be the case.

jumperooo Fri 24-May-13 19:50:56

Thanks. I guess I'm thinking more compact than the vista, rather than the most compact thing out there like a babyzen yoyo etc, but still fairly robust as DD is only nearly 8 months, better quality and feel to something like the petite star zia which I tried and disliked. My friend has a zapp extra and loves it but I don't like that much either. Or the oyster. I guess the city mini seems quite robust and has features that appeal like the canopy and has an easy fold.

Tiggywunkle Fri 24-May-13 20:24:01

This might help with your original query.

I hate to say it but the City Mini is much longer than the Vista when open - over 20cms longer. Its 2.5cms smaller width ways though. Height wise, the City Mini is also taller!

jumperooo Fri 24-May-13 20:35:53

Really??

That changes things then. Any other suggestions?

chocolatemartini Fri 24-May-13 21:22:50

This may be unhelpful, but I'd say uppababy vista and cheap maclaren are a pretty good combo. I'm finding as DS is getting bigger (18mo now), that smaller lighter pushchairs are actually harder to push him in than a full featured good quality heavier pushchair. I use our cameleon 90% of the time and a cheap quest which is lighter and narrower but way harder to push for buses, swimming, anywhere where we leave the pushchair and it might get stolen. Also, we still use the parent facing option are you sure you won't need that again? I think you might miss the features of the uppababy if you downgrade.

jumperooo Fri 24-May-13 22:33:24

Good point martini!

TwitchyTail Sat 25-May-13 08:07:49

Yes, like Tiggywunkle said, while the BJCM is very light and incredibly easy to fold/manage, it is actually quite high and wide. I wouldn't describe it as compact. I sold mine for this reason as I'm 5'2 and found the handle too high and the hood blocked my line of sight to the ground. That was just my personal preference though. It was great in every other way.

jumperooo Sat 25-May-13 10:15:57

Thanks. The updated uppababy g-luxe might be a contender now

chocolatemartini Sat 25-May-13 15:59:47

I looked at the G luxe too, looked good but I wouldn't want it as my only pushchair. Keep the uppababy!

chocolatemartini Sat 25-May-13 16:00:48

By the way which maclaren do you have? Will the uppababy be any better than that?

jumperooo Sat 25-May-13 17:32:07

It's a second hand triumph, pretty basic. We are going to keep the vista and the triumph and will probably replace both eventually with the g-luxe

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now