Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Buggy harness: until what age?

(11 Posts)
Anjou Tue 14-May-13 16:32:05

Apologies in advance if I'm being a complete numpty, but I'd love your opinion on this.

DS1 is 2 and the harness on almost all buggies/pushchairs is too tight. Our Phil & Ted Sport is ok but mothercare my3, mothercare urban detour double, cheapo Zeta Vooom & Maclaren Techno won't fit him anymore, even though I've made sure all the straps are extended.

he's quite tall but not the tallest 2 year old around. (Although now that I think about it, his head is batting off the hood of the Urban and the Phil & Ted when its in newborn/double mode). He's not fat/stocky/weirdly proportioned. even when taking the shoulder straps off & using just the waist straps there's not much room for him to grow. I'm baffled! 2 seems too young to not have a harness. although my Mothercare Urban & P&T have a safety/bumper bar, the others don't.

Has anyone else had this problem? What did/do/would you do?

Thanks

lljkk Tue 14-May-13 17:15:47

I think about that age it became a bit optional, was easier for encouraging them to walk more of the time, although always at the risk of tipping them out suddenly. Can the harness be put just across his lap?

lljkk Tue 14-May-13 17:16:27

ps: if he's that big he may be too heavy for the suggested rating, not that I ever cared, but if you are very safety conscious...

HappyAsASandboy Tue 14-May-13 17:26:00

You could try writing/ringing the customer services desks of the manufacturers of your buggies.

I have had extender straps sent (for free) for my Loola and B-Dual pushchairs (BebeConfort and Britax). Just called them and explained (well, my DSis rang them for me!) and they sent them out. BebeConfort asked for a long number off a sticky label on the bottom of the pushchairs.

I wouldn't like to go far or fast with an unrestrained 2 year old. It would be too easy for them to slide down the front/climb out and run away/tip out at a curb while I'm not paying attention. I like them to be tied down so I know where they are when they're in the buggy wink

TobyLerone Tue 14-May-13 17:30:18

I've seen too many babies/toddlers fall out or get tipped out of pushchairs to ever push one without the child strapped in.

IIRC, we ended up buying reins and using them as a harness when DS outgrew the one on his pushchair.

Anjou Tue 14-May-13 19:41:58

Thanks very much for your replies guys.

I agree with you that, at two, he wants to walk a lot more. The main use of the buggy is for walking to/from nursery. It takes me 30 mins to walk each way so its a bit too much for his little legs (it'll take forever!).

Iljkk, I'm currently using just the waist straps but it won't be long before he grows out of them. I'm sure most of the buggies I've bought said they would typically take the weight if a 4 or 5 year old but I'll double check the weight recommendations as you've made a really good point. smile

Happyas... It hasn't occurred time to get in touch with the manufacturers. That's a brilliant idea! I'm glad they were able to help you with yours. smile

I think both happyas and Toby are right in that I wouldn't feel safe if he wasn't strapped in. I do use reins, Toby but, as I said, the walk to nursery is a bit too far for him just now. Maybe I should get a buggy board? That's a whole other thread!!!

Thanks v much ladies!

ClaraOswald Tue 14-May-13 19:45:56

The weight recommendation an the non p+T pushchairs is 33lb. P+T is about 40 iirc.

lljkk Tue 14-May-13 20:15:12

You could get some usual reins/harness and fix that across his lap in some way, would be enough to stop him from tipping out perhaps.

forevergreek Tue 14-May-13 20:27:32

We use the bugaboo cameleon, harness is huge still on both 2 and 3 year old ( tall for age). I can't imagine pushing one of them without a harness ever, and I would tip them out every 2 secs!

TobyLerone Tue 14-May-13 21:34:23

No, I said we used reins as a harness in the pushchair. I've never used reins on a walking child.

I can't remember how we attached them to the pushchair but it was as secure as the original pushchair straps.

Tiggywunkle Tue 14-May-13 21:44:02

There's loads of pushchairs with huge harnesses. Maybe consider changing your pushchair. (the expensive option!)
Otherwise phone the manufacturers and ask what they suggest ie do they have extension straps.
Failing that, add on your own harness as well as the waist part of the other harness.
I agree with Toby - if you need to use a pushchair then ensure your child is strapped in. It is stupidity not to strap a child into a moving pushchair which is going over bumps, kerbs and across roads (to name a few dangers).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now