Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Is tyre slime worth doing? Any drawbacks?

(5 Posts)
MiaowTheCat Sat 04-May-13 11:42:27

Taking one of the wheels off the phil and teds in to be looked at at the bike shop this afternoon (the tyre's come off the rim slightly and I haven't got the strength to re-seat it myself) and considering taking all of them and asking if they'll put puncture slime in the tyres while I'm there. While it's not going to be used for heavy off-road walking anyway (any off-road walking we do is with two dogs who hog the boot so I have to suffer an umbrella side by side jobbie) - I'm still mildly terrified of the possibility of getting a puncture and having to get two kids home on a flat tyre.

Any drawbacks to getting the tyres slimed or not? (Figure since I'm going to the bike shop anyway I may as well ask them if they'll do it for me instead of faffing on myself).

WeOnlyPlannedTheFirst Sat 04-May-13 21:37:48

How did you get on?
Debating whether to slime mine or not - don't do any off roading beyond local park but I don't even know how to use the pump I carry with me nevermind repair a puncture. Hubby is a cyclist though and says I don't need slime as hecan fix anything.. Which is fine except I'm out with the buggy and he's not!

HappyAsASandboy Sat 04-May-13 21:40:54

I had a few punctures in the first 6 months of using my buggy. I then slimed the tyres, and haven't noticed one since smile

Could be a coincidence, or could be the slime working. There is no way of knowing!

MurderOfProse Sun 05-May-13 11:00:58

It didn't seem to make much difference when I tried it, but I know some people claim an improvement.

MiaowTheCat Sun 05-May-13 20:08:59

Got two of the tyres done - third one needs a new wheel (I suspected as much) since the rim's bashed out of shape so any tyres on there are going to pop out of the rim pretty sharpish. Just terrified of getting a puncture and having to get two kids home on two wheels (unicycling babies anyone?) so trying to reduce the risk of it a bit.

Will slime the final tyre when I get the replacement wheel I've ordered next week sometime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now