Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

How long did you use a pushchair or stroller for?

(19 Posts)
Beamae Tue 30-Apr-13 11:30:07

We bought the Out n About Nipper 360 Double when our twins were born. They are 19 months old now and one has been walking for a couple of months now, the other has only just started walking a few weeks ago.

I've posted before about problems with the length of the harness straps. The seats of the V1 nipper at their most upright position are still very reclined. The girls prefer to be more upright and so I am only using the waist straps, but they are so short that they cut into their hips. They hate going in the double pushchair now and scream and scream when I put them in it. We have two single Maclaren's which they are happy in, but when I am by myself I still need to use a double.

I'm wondering if it would be a waste of money to invest in a different pushchair at this stage? I've been looking on ebay but it would still be a couple of hundred quid or a second hand. I'm not sure whether we'd only be using it for a short time so it wouldn't be worth it. What age to they stop using pushchairs and start walking everywhere instead?

Beamae Tue 30-Apr-13 11:32:32

I should add that I am having another baby in September when they are 2 years old. I can't work out whether they will still be in a double with the new baby in a sling or if the new baby will be in a single with them walking or on a buggy board.

TeWiSavesTheDay Tue 30-Apr-13 11:37:22

How much walking do you do?

Personally I would get another double. My DD didn't walk until 18mths, used a buggy a lot until 2.7 when DS was born and then a buggy board until around 3.6

Beamae Tue 30-Apr-13 11:43:15

A fair bit around the village or shopping in town. More, I would hope, in the summer. It's a 15 minute walk to the park but I don't know how long that would take on little legs.

Thanks for your reply. If we are likely to use it for another year or two then it is worth investing.

poshme Tue 30-Apr-13 11:46:25

I'm sure I've seen something somewhere which attaches 2 single pushchairs together so you can push them at the same time. Sorry I can't remember where !

ChunkyPickle Tue 30-Apr-13 11:47:15

In your case, with twins, I think that to save your sanity you might want to get another double buggy - imagine having the baby in the buggy, and the older two making a break for it - it would be a nightmare!

In my case, we've barely used a buggy at all - only for our own convenience to keep him contained/give him somewhere to sleep if we're going somewhere for a long time. The rest of the time he walks so in total it was only used for about 6 months - we have used reins during his less well behaved phases.

In other words, I reckon it entirely depends on the child (ren) and circumstances.

ChunkyPickle Tue 30-Apr-13 11:48:40

My mum had little clamps which clamped two of the deckchair type maclarens - this was back in the 80s - do they still exist?

poshme Tue 30-Apr-13 11:53:05

http://kiddicarereviews.kiddicare.com/review/1101 here!

Beamae Tue 30-Apr-13 11:57:09

I have those clamps. We have taken the two singles on holiday and used the clamps to get through the airport with husband pushing bags, me pushing children. But they make the two singles quite unbelievably wide! So definitely not for getting through shop doors or, for that matter, airport security. I'm looking at the baby jogger citi mini double, but would need to go for a test drive in a new one before getting a cheapy off ebay.

I have also considered reins. I've been looking at ones that attach to my waist so they literally are tied onto me. But I just don't know how fast little people tire out, so wouldn't want to be stuck somewhere with a single and three sleepy children.

sleeplessinderbyshire Tue 30-Apr-13 21:28:10

What about a buggy board on a single and swapping them around depending on who was tireder? (Though I have a p&t and still use it with my 3.8 yr old hopping in and out for + mile walks as she is a great little walker/scooterer but can't do 3-6 miles at a time and I need to)

loubielou31 Tue 30-Apr-13 21:38:11

DD1 had to go on Buggy board when DD2 was born, she was 2. DD2 stopped using the buggy when she was 3 and a bit. Mainly that's because we swapped our car and the pushchair was too long to fit in the boot and I wasn't going to buy a new one now! otherwise I think we'd still use it a bit.

Definitely get a new double. You will use it. I would get a narrow side by side double and some reins. Toddling twins and a baby there is a high likelihood that two children will want to be in the pushchair and sometimes all three!

dramajustfollowsme Tue 30-Apr-13 22:38:19

My SiL had twins and her baby 21months apart. She needed the double for a fair while. One twin would walk for a bit then they would swap and the other would walk. It worked fine. They were still wanting to use it until they were nearly 3. Especially during the icy winter. The twins skating about and falling on the ice whilst she was pushing the buggy was not practical the double with a buggy board worked well.

TravelinColour Tue 30-Apr-13 22:40:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

meglet Tue 30-Apr-13 22:45:16

DS until 4.6. the spring before he started school.

DD until 4.4. The buggy got a puncture in Feb and I decided it wasn't worth repairing it. I don't like walking at their speed though, I do tend to march ahead!

We walk most places and I do miss having the buggy for bags / shopping. It's not fun dawdling in bad weather either.

MultipleMama Tue 30-Apr-13 22:55:44

My 3 and 4 year old still use the strollet. I have the BJCM GT double and the ABC Quad plus a single. And with another on way it'll be a wise investment for you smile

Ihateparties Tue 30-Apr-13 23:33:04

I agree.. given you already have twins under two it won't be wasted in the short to medium term. If you really find that they don't need it down the line then you can easily sell it and get a single at that time.

A lot depends on the individual children involved, how much you walk, the sort of environments you walk in, whether anyone is prone to lying down and screaming half way across a busy road for no perceptible reason.. that type of thing grin

All my dcs are enthusiastic walkers from an early age however only 1 out of the 3 is happy to view it as a means of actually getting somewhere

Tiggywunkle Wed 01-May-13 02:02:28

DD is 4 and a half and on rare occasions we still reach for it. But we used it regularly until she was 4 simply for her own safety and my sanity by busy roads. It wasnt worth growing more grey hairs for!
DD BTW walked at 10 months. She was perfect until she was about 2 and a half at walking but it went downhill rapidly from there until she was just over 3. Even lately, she can throw big tantrums when its easier just to strap her in and go. The rest of the time shes perfect and will walk as good as gold smile

Beamae Thu 02-May-13 11:07:13

Ooh. I posted a thank you to all who replied but it seems to have vanished. I hadn't factored in extremes of weather or tantrums! I think a new pushchair is a good idea. Thanks folks.

juneau Thu 02-May-13 11:10:15

I'd sell the current buggy and get a basic double McLaren. Reclined seat positions are only good when they're little IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now