Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Umbrella fold pushchair - push with one hand?

(17 Posts)
Anathu Sun 31-Mar-13 22:42:40

My DS1 is 3.5 and DS2 is 2 and we plan to get rid of the double buggy asap, in order to replace it with a single one with buggy board.

Since one of the most important features I NEED on the new buggy is to be able to push it one-handed, I was thinking about Bugaboo Bee, Oyster, iCandy Cherry or Babyjogger City Mini.

BUT the other day I saw a mum pushing her MacLaren with only one hand, while dragging a huge suit case with the other. Now I'm confused… I was under the impression that pushchairs like MacLarens are a nightmare to push with only one hand. Was I wrong??

If I was, then maybe we need to take another look at our options. Which umbrella folding pushchair is the best?

shopalot Sun 31-Mar-13 22:47:18

I could push my quinny zap one handed whilst holding onto toddler which was why we bought it. I had a Maclaren before that and couldn't push mine one handed but it was a while ago.

duende Sun 31-Mar-13 22:47:35

I have pushed our Maclaren with one hand through a few airports whilst dragging a heavy suitcase with the other. It's not nice! It's really not comfortable and hard work. I'm looking forward to getting a new pushchair which I can push with one hand without having to keep bumping it with my hip to go the way I want it to go.

Anathu Sun 31-Mar-13 23:00:10

Oh sad Too bad. They are a bit cheaper than the other ones we are looking at.

shopalot - would you recommend the zapp to an almost 14 kgs 2yo? I want it to last until he's 3 and then I guess we won't need it anymore.

Tiggywunkle Sun 31-Mar-13 23:32:24

You can push a 2 handled pushchair one handed, but usually at some point you revert back to 2 hands whether its to keep the pushchair straight or simply to feel more comfy.
I would look at a Baby Jogger City Mini if money is an issue and your child is already 14kgs.

janey223 Sun 31-Mar-13 23:41:37

Have you looked at babystyle oyster? It folds in 1 or 2 pieces and is an absolute dream to push!

TravelinColour Sun 31-Mar-13 23:49:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FannyFifer Sun 31-Mar-13 23:50:53

Micralite is great for pushing one handed.

tethersend Sun 31-Mar-13 23:58:16

Yy, came to sing the praises of micralites- they are a dream to push one-handed.

I have the superlite fastfold, which is exactly that- 6kg and easy to fold. Fold not quite as small as a maclaren-type, but near enough and air filled back wheels for a smoother push.

Micralite, if you're reading this, I want a bloody commission grin

3MonthMaid Mon 01-Apr-13 09:54:44

I'm not sure about the micro lite and a board though, I always kicked the back wheels anyway?
Maclarens can be pushed one handed, but it tends to depend on the terrain...
The Zapp is a nightmare to push one handed on anything but absolutely flat ground, as soon as one wheel hits a bump the whole thing swings around and you are left with the buggy facing a shop window...
Bee probably best if you can afford it, with the board designed for it

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Mon 01-Apr-13 14:59:46

what about the cybex callisto? it's umbrella fold but with a single handle bar not individual handles.

i had a mac quest and i could push it one handed on a very smooth surface such as an indoor shopping centre but outside on a realistically bumpy path was a nightmare. my bjcm4 is a dream though smile

trixymalixy Mon 01-Apr-13 15:06:35

Micralite

trixymalixy Mon 01-Apr-13 15:07:43

You get longer handles for the micralite to use with the buggy board.

Rhubarb78 Mon 01-Apr-13 21:46:34

Gatecrashing because I am looking for similar. Anyone got any experience with the quinny yezz?

notcitrus Mon 01-Apr-13 22:10:25

Maclaren XT I can do fine with one hand - it's got the shaped rubbery handles, and I push it to and from nursery (15 min walk) twice a day one-handed with ds holding my other hand. It's tough up a very steep slope on a corner, but the terrible bumpy pavements aren't a problem.

The Maclarens with the foam handles I can't push one-handed at all - much harder to steer.

Which shops stock Micralites so I can poke one?

ceeveebee Mon 01-Apr-13 22:14:22

I push my cheapo obaby twin buggy one handed - it has three handles so I use the middle one but it's very hard work especially with 50lb of baby in, and can't do kerbs or uphill

Anathu Thu 18-Apr-13 21:24:34

We tried out a few pushchairs in the store and I did not like the feeling of pushing one handed... I guess it could be possible in a coouple of months when the eldest is calmer while walking. Now I have to be able to grab hold of him whenever I see that he is going to run away...

We might buy a 2 handle pushchair for travel though. Thanks for all answers!!

We also looked at the Oyster and it was very nice. The big downside for me was the width. I'm terrified of being stuck between seats on a crowded bus on my way to the buggy area. sad

We also considered BJCM and I really loved it but the problem was space for the eldest.

So after A LOT of discussions, we decided for the Bee and I just bought one second hand off ebay. Let's hope it will cover our needs, at least for the coming year smile

Thank you for all your input!!! thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now