Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Light weight, hard core, off roady pushchair...

(6 Posts)
2littlemonkeysjumping Sun 31-Mar-13 16:08:05

...does such a thing exist??!!
For dd1 had icandy cherry, and laterly bjcm, both great. When dd2 arrived (2.5y old) I bought a buggy board w a seat on (revelo kidsit) which has been fantastic- exactly what I'd hoped for and dd1 loves it. My problem is this. We now live in rural village, so cherry has had a fair battering up and down hills- not really built for that terrain and now chassis fairly buggered, not the buggy's fault, we lived in town when I first bought and it was perfect. Bjcm, although a super single, becomes heavy, clunky and impossible to steer with seat on back and 2.5 stone child on top! Too heavy at back and front wheel frequently comes off road and would topple if not being held by me.

So here is the big question.... I'd LOVE a buggy capable of off-roadiness, decent wheels, suspension etc but I'd also love it to be light, compact, easy to fold etc... Essentially a town buggy but build for the country...

Am I talking rubbish, and being overly optimistic, or does such a thing exist? Or am I to resign myself to a nipper 360 or the like, which are great but just a bit bigger and heavier than I would favour? All thoughts gratefully received!! Thanks

Daisybell1 Sun 31-Mar-13 18:27:51

How hard core do you want? I have a Baby Jogger Summit which goes everywhere. It's got huge 16 inch wheels and suspension but it folds to the same size as the city mini.

If you look on best buggy I think there's a photo set of my two side by side. It's not light light (about 11kg) but it's worth it for the capability.

If you don't need to get it over boulders or across ft deep potholes then the city mini GT or elite may suit you.

ghoulelocks Sun 31-Mar-13 20:06:49

I got a second hand phil and teds sport for this, very good offroad, paid £70. It'sprevious owner and I live either side of the forest and it's survived hard-core use.

BUT do not dream of dragging it in and outof a boot easily and it is NOT good for regular public transport. Took two eastern european builders to get it up the steps at the train station!

Tiggywunkle Sun 31-Mar-13 21:25:22

Here Daisy

I was going to say go and look at the Baby Joggers again - the Summit is the heavy duty off roader, and the Elite is a bit more luxurious with smaller wheels. But both are almost the same size chassis when folded as the City Mini. Its the wheels which make the difference - and they simply pop off. This shows the BJCM next to the BJCMGT and the BJCE and may be useful to prove that the chassis are about the same size!

There is also the Baby Jogger City Versa GT. The Easywalker June is pretty good forward facing. Both of these are compact when folded.

The Nipper isnt really that heavy compared to these though. Look also for an Air Buggy Mimi - they crop up on Ebay from time to time.

2littlemonkeysjumping Mon 01-Apr-13 13:00:25

Thank you all! I'd love to pretend I'm sufficiently hardcore to need the summit but I'm afraid I'm not! My head has been very much turned by the baby jogger city elite though, ticks all the boxes and still has all the things I liked about the bjcm...
My sister has an old p&t and that's been enough to put me off, purely from the putting it up and down point of view (and also if I were to get a p&t I should've got it when dd2 arrived so could've used it as double, don't really need that functionality now)

Many thanks again for your advice, kind of you all to reply!

Tiggywunkle Mon 01-Apr-13 17:57:58

There's also the iCandy Peach Jogger if you want to splash out! The new colours are stunning!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now