Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Whats the best double for a tiny 6m and a hefty 18m old please?

(13 Posts)
pingulingo Sat 30-Mar-13 23:43:07

Currently using a sling + single pram, but think I would like a double now. DS1 is 18 months & on the 85th centile for height & weight, and DD1 is 6months old and off the chart in tinyness as she was prem, so she is a 2nd centile 4month old for weight.

I thought maybe a BJCM double or MB duo/duet. But will these feel uneven to push because of the weight difference in my 2 DC? I dont weant to feel like I'm struggling not to walk in circles! All the tandems I've seen look very long and/or not a lot of space for the child at the back, but open to suggestions.

I'd like something easy to push, compact when out in town and getting on buses, the folded size doesnt matter as car boot is huge. Dont think I can rely on DS1 to stay on a buggyboard/joovy seat just yet so think I do need a proper double for now. Doesnt need car seat adapters.

Thank you for any suggestions

lucywiltshire Sat 30-Mar-13 23:46:06

we have a Phil & Teds which I hate and an Out n About Nipper which I love. Not sure how easy it would be on a bus though!

pingulingo Sun 31-Mar-13 13:12:32

I'm not keen on the P&T either - I dont think my DS will like the restricted view and I think a side-by-side will be easier to get him in/out when he does want to walk etc.

crochetcircle Sun 31-Mar-13 16:17:07

I've had a mountain buggy duet for our two dd's who are 14 months apart. There is a slight drag on dd1's side but its very manageable. The seats are quite narrow so try before you buy. But it's a great double because its so narrow! If size were no option I'd have a double nipper...

lucywiltshire Sun 31-Mar-13 20:58:39

the double nipper isn't massive - it fits through doorways and folds neatly and small enough to get into car boot (we have Volvo estate with a divider down the middle so dogs go in one half and pushchair goes in other half) so would fit in a smaller boot. Also it is pretty easy to lift and I never worked out how to life the P&T into the boot much to DH's amusement!

mistressploppy Sun 31-Mar-13 21:00:14

Another vote for the mountain buggy duet. It's the same width as a Quinny buzz single and even goes through narrow internal doors. Seat recline completely flat and good basket and hoods

pingulingo Sun 31-Mar-13 21:30:12

Does anyone use the double nipper on buses? I won't be using them during rush hour but do need a buggy I can just wheel on - I wouldn't be able to manage the two DCs on the bus loose.

Thanks for suggestions, think I'll have to try a few out in the shops. Have got the nipper and mb duet on my list of possibles so far

Tiggywunkle Sun 31-Mar-13 21:38:39

Just watch out with the Nipper because the V1 and the early V2 ones ARE wide...wider than a standard doorway. The newer V2's - from summer 2012, are narrower - 72cms wide with the wheels on. These are more practical and I would recommend you make sure you find one if you are wanting to go onto buses.

pingulingo Mon 01-Apr-13 10:40:28

Thanks I will make sure I'm looking at the newer nipper model also - good to know a out the width issue on older models.

Beatrixpotty Mon 01-Apr-13 13:15:01

I've got a 360 nipper which has been great for dcs that age.It is 2 years old now so not sure which version it is.Shop doorways no problem.Only place it got stuck was at the till in M&S!Not tested it on buses though.

forevergreek Mon 01-Apr-13 17:36:22

the mb duet is v good on london buses. it fits on alongside another single which the nipper doesnt.

as in you get on at back, then it will fit in gap facing forward as narrow enough to fit behind the bar. then a single will slot in behind as usual. it means you dont have to wait for a bus to be completely free.

lucywiltshire Mon 01-Apr-13 22:28:26

If price is an issue, the MB is almost twice that of the Nipper. Enough to get taxis rather than buses for quite a while!

bumbleandbumble Wed 03-Apr-13 17:08:28

Mountain buggy duet!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now