Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Maclaren Techno XLR- suitable from birth?

(8 Posts)
Tuppers85 Thu 25-Oct-12 02:57:48

Hi all, opinions appreciated! Is the Maclaren Techno XLR suitable from birth (I would purchase the soft carrycot) and how do people find it as a push
chair?

NapOfTheDamned Thu 25-Oct-12 03:33:46

Is fine from birth and a very good choice.
You barely use the carrycot, (we bought pram new but got second hand barely used carry cot from ebay) .The Recaro car seat can be used as well and we found DS preferred it so the carry cot continued to not be used much! We passed it on to someone else...who also barely used it!

You are not supposed to have newborns in car seats for hours but as winter approaches you are unlikely to be pushing a pram about for 4+ hours at a time!

Tuppers85 Thu 25-Oct-12 06:52:33

Thank you Nap- how does the recaro seat fit onto it?

EdsRedeemingQualities Thu 25-Oct-12 07:12:44

It depends on your lifestyle and where you'll be using it.

If you live somewhere fairly urban with smooth pavements and don't do fields or bumpy bits, you'll be fine from birth, and if you intend using it for trips round town lasting a few hours then probably get the carrycot.

If you live somewhere like we do, with horrible, heritage-style cobbled streets which will make the baby rattle around, or in the country with a lot of grass to cover, then don't do it - get something with proper big wheels and suspension or your child will have very disturbed sleeps! (bearing in mind that the pram is the place they tend to sleep best, normally)

You could get something substantial for the first 3-6 months and resell it, second hand would probably do fine - and then go on to the Mac.

It's a nice quality pushchair though

3bunnies Thu 25-Oct-12 07:25:02

We have found it to be really good, and the only pushchair ds has ever been in BUT for the first 4+ months he was in a sling which he loved, while dd2 enjoyed the pushchair, then she was chucked out and he went in. I know not everyone can wear a sling and not every baby loves it but it did get us through the early months, and at over 3 the Maclaren is still a good pushchair for him now, fine on busses etc, not too big.

winnybella Thu 25-Oct-12 07:35:15

Very good pushchair, imo. We didn't have the cot, just the car seat, but tbh I just put her into the pushchair as it's flat (we don't drive so used car seat only for taxis and holidays etc). For the first few times it was odd because baby lays low and somehow she felt unprotected and far away from me iyswim. We used it from 3-4 weeks.

Car seat excellent for short naps, you can actually rock baby in it. Pushchair good for public transport, very light.

3bunnies Thu 25-Oct-12 08:13:36

The handles are also a bit higher than some and adjustable, which really helped me as I found lower ones hurt my back, also good if you or dh is tall.

NapOfTheDamned Thu 25-Oct-12 12:00:22

Car seat attaches on like carrycot, facing backwards like carrycot, and is just as cosy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now