Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Uppababy Vista or Babystyle Oyster? Help needed!

(9 Posts)
brimfullofasha Tue 23-Oct-12 19:19:30

Hi, DH and I have been deliberating over which pushchair to get. We were initially decided on an Oyster because for the features it has the price seems very good. However, DH has been looking at Which and has been swayed by the fact that all the reviews for the Vista are so good.

We really want a pushchair with a carrycot, that folds easily and will fit in the car. Both seem to have the option of being parent-facing which is great. I don't want anything massive but I don't mind a big-ish pushchair as long as it is not too heavy easy to steer. DH and I are both tall so we want something that won't hurt our backs. I guess we'll mainly use it for walks into town and round the park.

The thing that I like about the Vista is that it can be converted into a double and ideally we'd like to have another child in the next 2/3 years but I can't decide if this really justifies an extra £200.

I know this has been done many times before but I appreciate your help/experience/expertise!

McKayz Tue 23-Oct-12 19:23:12

I have the Oyster and I absolutely love it. It is really really easy to steer, looks really good and I'm quite tall and I think it is fine. My brother is 6ft 4 and he pushes it with no bother.

It can be both parent and forward facing. The basket underneath is really big, I have the raincover and my raincoat under there and still room to put milk etc under there.

It's my 3rd pram/pushchair and it is the best.

Ihateparties Tue 23-Oct-12 19:58:37

In terms of the Vista as a double, before you buy it on that particular basis (as a single I think it's a great option) have a google for info on how it is set up as a double. The options are very limited for a newborn and toddler. For example you can't use the carrycot and toddler seat together, the toddler seat is bolt upright so the elder child needs to not be napping really, to use it at all for a newborn you need to use a car seat or the main seat facing away from you with the footrest folded away and something to account for the seat being bucket shaped. It's a difficult double put it that way, there are so many that do a better job for a newborn and toddler.

Overall though the Vista does seem to be very well liked.

Re the Oyster I expected to like it but personally didn't, found the ride hard and that I kicked the back of the chassis even when the handle was in a high position. Again it's not a bad all rounder but there are better out there... The Baby Jogger City Versa for example is looking very good at this point, bearing in mind that it's early days so none of them have had an awful lot of use yet.

Tiggywunkle Tue 23-Oct-12 23:43:09

Dont buy the Vista on the basis that it can become a double!! Its problematic and is not a good enough reason to buy it!! If you want to future proof then buy an iCandy Peach or get an Oyster Max if you have time to wait for either. I agree with everything ihateparties says above. The Vista is good spec and until recently was probably the best pushchair on the market, but I think the new Baby Jogger Versa is probably better and cheaper. I am struggling to fault it.

brimfullofasha Wed 24-Oct-12 07:56:41

Thank you McKayz ,I really like the Oyster and I'm glad you've had a good experience with it. I'm still very tempted.

ihateparties and tiggy that's really useful to know that the Vista is not great as a double. I'm really not sure that its worth the extra money if we'd have to buy a double in a few years. I just need to convince DH!

I will definitely look into the Baby Jogger Versa. Do you know when the oyster max is meant to be released? Baby is due in Feb and I'm not sure we'll get one by then.

Thank you all for taking the time to help.

Tiggywunkle Wed 24-Oct-12 16:38:58

The Oyster Max I was told today is due out in February.

brimfullofasha Wed 24-Oct-12 19:40:19

Thanks. That's probably a bit late for us then.

furrygoldone Fri 26-Oct-12 20:39:49

We also had both of these on our shortlist for DS1, in the end we went for the Vista and I love it, the basket is awesomely large, the carrycot is one of the nicest i've seen and it is just so easy to push. However, DS2 has now arrived and I've had to buy a second hand Phil n Teds as the Vista just really doesn't cut it for a newborn plus toddler. Although I was lucky in that I didn't need to sell the Vista to do this and I do still use it whenever I get the chance as the PnT is shit in comparison, so even if I could go back in time I'd still choose the Vista. Also my gap is only 16 months if you're looking at 2+ years then you may find that your first DC isn't that pushchair dependent by the time DC2 arrives.

Natnat29 Fri 26-Oct-12 20:42:49

We've got an oyster on order only heard good things do am hoping that's true

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now