Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

A side by side double buggy suitable for a 6month old and a 5 year old

(18 Posts)
Jade86 Mon 22-Oct-12 10:58:55

My 5 year old has been battling cancer for the last 2 years and is still receiving treat,net which understandably makes him tired and he is unable to walk very far at all but having a 6 year old and a 6 month old only having 2 single prams is a real pain but can't find one big enough for my 5 year old, if anyone can help please.
Thank you in advance

5madthings Mon 22-Oct-12 11:11:22

have you looked at the nipper 360 double? i have a single nipper and my large 4 year old can fit in it fine, i dont know if the seats are narrower on the double tho, but its a good sturdy pushchair, lightweight and easy to push.

hope your son is doing well with his treatment xx

oh i mean to say you can get the nipper 360 on ebay (its by out n' about)

5madthings Mon 22-Oct-12 11:13:00

www.preciouslittleone.com/out-n-about/&filt=260-/

this is the new version and it has a bumper bar but i am pretty sure that comes off. the older models are easily available on ebay and they dont have a bumper bar, plus they will be cheaper!

5madthings Mon 22-Oct-12 11:15:14

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_nkw=nipper+360+instep+out+n+double+

the older versions on ebay smile

i would say you will need a 3 wheeler type thing purely for ease of pusing weight wise.

there is also the moutain buggy double, that has good sized seats but will prob be more expensive, again you can pick them up on ebay, both pushchairs will be ok for selling on afterwards smile

hazeyjane Mon 22-Oct-12 11:18:06

We had an OutnAbout Double, which my 4 year old dd2 used, she is short, but fairly chunky, and she fitted fine, and it wasn't too heavy to push. My friend had a double Mountain Buggy (I think they are from birth -5) and dd2 definitely seemed more comfortable in that, so maybe go for one of those - although they are quite pricey. My OutnAbout was about £80 on ebay, and her Mountain Buggy was about £175.

Good luck with your son's treatment.

hazeyjane Mon 22-Oct-12 11:20:47

Yes they have good resale value - I have just bought a second hand Mountain Buggy for ds, because he is pretty chunky, and has sn so will need a pushchair for a good while yet.I have just remembered another friend who used hers (Mountain Buggy that is) for her pretty big 5 year old boy, and she used to run with it..urgh!

deadhedgehogpatronus Mon 22-Oct-12 11:21:57

I have the mountain buggy duo for my twins, it's very big and sturdy and I imagine would easily support the weight of a baby and an older child. I'm not sure if the seats would be wide enough for your son to be comfortable in, but I'd say it would be worth a look if you have the chance. No advice on getting them cheaper as I paid almost full price on mine blush but it's been a really quality purchase I suppose.

Best wishes for you and your son too

5madthings Mon 22-Oct-12 11:22:12

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mountain-buggy-Double-in-black-VERY-GOOD-CONDITION-/221140423597?pt=UK_Baby_BabyTravel_Pushchairs_GL&hash=item337cff13ad

mountain buggy double on ebay smile

they are both good pushchairs, hope you find something suitable smile

liswee Mon 22-Oct-12 12:05:31

I would suggest having a look at the baby jogger city elite double smile

BreeVanDerTramp Mon 22-Oct-12 12:14:39

Out and about 360 I have this for DD 4 month and DS2 but can easily push (up a hill with one finger, DH has tried hmm) with my tall 5 year old and heavy 2 year old.

Hope your DS is doing well.

oscarwilde Mon 22-Oct-12 19:02:54

The joovy caboose might work if your 5 yo just needs somewhere to perch when they get tired. Doesn't look like the comfiest pram in the world for either child though. hmm
http://twinsuk.co.uk/products/101007/Special-Needs-Pushchair---NB/Sibling-Std/
You might be able to locate one of these second hand?
Phil & Ted's Verve seems to be the only standard buggy which is also recommended for special needs (in this case height and weight only)
I hope your 5yo is doing ok - it must be really tough.

TruthSweet Mon 22-Oct-12 21:42:42

The Easylife Sport Twin (AKA Pedigree Sport Twin) has massive seats. I have one for my DD2 4y and my DD3 3y (DD2 had arthritis when 3 and now has hypermobility). The 4y is the size of some of DD1's Y2 classmates and bigger than a few too as she is about 110cm+. DD1 actually fitted in the seat with room to spare and she is 125cm. Each seat has a 45kg weight limit.

Some on Ebay at the moment here

nahla321 Mon 22-Oct-12 21:53:50

Mountain buggy's look like they have huge seats so a 6 year old should fit in it no problem, they are strong and well built too.

Tiggywunkle Mon 22-Oct-12 22:33:54

Have a look at the Baby Joggers - the BJCMGT but with the hood removed for your eldest or the Elite. I am not sure the Nipper seats will be wide enough - my almost 4 year old was getting a bit uncomfy. The Joovy Caboose is a lot of fun to use but not very warm for the baby in winter. Why not send an e-mail to Micralite to see where they are up to with the new Twofold - they were due out any time and may be of interest?

StateofConfusion Tue 23-Oct-12 16:36:29

I had a p&t vibe when my two were smaller and had a tall 6yo catch a ride in the front seat on more than one occasion, the front seats are huge on all p&ts, does mean ofc the baby is in the 'back' as such.

CupsofTeaAndHandfulsOfCake Tue 23-Oct-12 16:50:49

I hope your 5 year old is doing well and your family are ok x
My 7 year old fits in my Phil and Teds classic (in the main seat) so I think a side by side Phil and Teds would be suitable, they sell for a reasonable price secondhand on Ebay.

CupsofTeaAndHandfulsOfCake Tue 23-Oct-12 16:52:01

Or as the person who commented before me said 6 month in the back and 5 year old in the front.

StateofConfusion Tue 23-Oct-12 19:33:44

Oh yes I'd forgot p&t do a side by side, and also totally forgot after reading all previous replies that you'd stated side by side blush

Hope your 5yo is doing ok xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now