Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Bugaboo bee - need advise

(12 Posts)
Mazted Tue 25-Sep-12 13:44:10

I'm thinking of getting the Bugaboo Bee as it looks perfect for what I need. I've done the big buggy/travel system with me first child and wanted something small, lightweight and compact. However, after seeing the endless reviews on the issue with the wheels I was quite disappointed. With that said, I've noticed that most of the reviews were in 2011 so possibly the manufacturer may have rectify the problem, so would love anymore feedback on the Bee post 2011 and does anyone have any suggestions on a really good buggy.

tiredteddy Tue 25-Sep-12 13:50:36

I'm arching this as I have my heart set on a bugaboo bee for dc3 due in jan. same reasons really. Small lightweight, one price fold, rear facing and newborn suitable. I have assumed that the problems are no longer an issue and was going to get one anyway!

tiredteddy Tue 25-Sep-12 13:50:58

Oops watching

Mazted Tue 25-Sep-12 13:56:37

@Tireteddy

I was thinking the same thing, because everywhere I go all I see is the bee, therefore I would think the issue is resolved. So temped to stop one the mums and ask how they get on with the bee.

femmeaufoyer Tue 25-Sep-12 15:34:23

I have a Bee Plus which I bought in 2010 for my DD who was then 14 months. I experienced the problem of the shimmying wheels which occur when there is not much weight over the front wheels and you are pushing at speed. Bugaboo provided me with plastic washers (small rings) which you put onto the wheels, very easily, and it stops the problem. But this is only a temporary measure as the washers wear out and you have to replace them. Bugaboo tried a more permanent fix in 2011 by changing the plastic bearings in the wheels to metal ones. But this resulted in wheels which didn't turn properly and were quite dangerous! So Bugaboo went back to the plastic bearings and washers. And they have said that they are working on another permanent fix. I believe that all newly purchased Bees come with the washers already so you should be fine.

Aside from that I like the Bee, I am expecting DC2 and will be using it from newborn this time. I too had a bulky Quinny Buzz first time and I don't want to have that again, DH offered to buy a new Cameleon but they look so bulky compared to the Bee! It's so nippy and light, great on public transport and easy to fold. And I like the fact that you can change the hoods, liners, footmuff etc to freshen it up. I've had a new hood and am buying a cocoon for the new baby. It can also take a car seat so it's a travel system too.

But there are negatives...of course! It really is an urban pushchair, it doesn't cope well with uneven ground and, because it's so light, it can feel a bit rattly. It's best suited for trips round the shops and town. Some people prefer a big, substantial pushchair. I guess it's like driving a BMW Z4 vs a BMW X5....both fun but in very different ways!!

Mazted Tue 25-Sep-12 16:33:38

@ femmeaufoyer

Thanks for the help and advice. It certainly clears things up for me. I also thought about getting the Cameleon and like you thoughts it's too bulky. In the end it's a matter of weighing up the pros and cons.

Thanks for the help.

tiredteddy Tue 25-Sep-12 16:54:57

My friend has a chameleon and it's a lovely pushchair. I've used it several times when looking after her DS. My theory was that the bee would be a better all rounder. With my previous dc I had a big pram each time then moved onto a stroller at around 18 months. I was thinking that the bee would just keeping ticking all the boxes and there would be no need to downsize as dc3 gets bigger.

Nahla321 Tue 25-Sep-12 17:00:35

Is it on the plus and the original bee as they have slightly different wheels? Bugaboo are very good though and are willing to replace and rectify anything that may go wrong so I would be rest assured purchasing it from them.

milk Tue 25-Sep-12 17:02:21

I find the Bee too low down, and the seat doesn't look that comfortable for children.

femmeaufoyer Tue 25-Sep-12 17:52:10

The wheel problem is just on the newer Bee Plus. Ideally I would buy new as you then have the 2 year warranty and, as Nahla says, Bugaboo are very good at rectifying issues.

@tiredteddy, I'm sure that if you bought the Cameleon then you'd end up buying a Maclaren (or something similar) after 18months, as the 2 piece, bulky fold will start to be a pain. There's more of a chance that the Bee will last you all the way through.

tiredteddy Tue 25-Sep-12 18:34:26

Thanks femmeaufoyer that's what I thought. Now which colour to choose?

Ihateparties Tue 25-Sep-12 20:08:20

There's another bonus.. you're not stuck with the colour, you can change any time you please grin

If compact is one of your most vital requirements then there isn't much that competes with the bee, virtually nothing in fact. Which seems crazy given the amount of "the bee is perfect but the seat is low and I need something slightly more substantial for harder terrain" type threads that are on here almost daily.

The Easywalker June arrives this week, it is almost as small but questions outsanding on aspects of handling it and size of fold IRL etc.

Small full features pushchairs is a real gap in the market...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now