Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Double buggy expert needed please, I think I've (almost) made my decision.

(8 Posts)
backinaminute Fri 03-Aug-12 21:50:30

I have looked at so many double buggies recently, trying to find the best I can for a 20 month age gap (dc2 due in December). When ds was born I made the mistake of buying a massive travel system (maxi cosi Mira 3) that we only used as a carrycot and then I got a bjcm which I love and we use all the time.

I just assumed that I'd get a bjcm double but have since found that it wouldn't fit thought our front door and hallway. A mountain buggy duet would but I was shocked how heavy it was and how big folded. I will use it with the car a lot. Also I've now decided that we probably won't get the use out of a side by side as ds is already in and out of the bjcm a lot and I don't like the idea of spending lots if time pushing a side by side with only one child in it (in the longer term, when the new dc is just walking).

I have looked at the britax b-duel but would like to use our cabriofix car seat, the bj city select was longer than the shopping trolley I was pushing when I looked at it. I have looked at some icandy's but the price put me off (but do like the idea).

The mountain buggy +one looks great but not good for our age gap.

I have gone full circle and come back to Phil and Teds. I didn't like the idea of the baby being so low but have decided that that would suit us more than the bulky alternatives. I have tried the Promenade but thought it was just too complicated and bulky (the woman in the shop couldn't work it out which concerned me). So basically I think I'm going to order either the Dot or Navigator but not sure which is best.

Is it pretty much just that the navigator has the better sun hood and can be parent facing or am I missing something?

Is there some wonder pushchair that I have missed that will fit in our narrow door and won't fill our tiny house, that's easy to keep in the car boot so easy to put up and down, and will mean I don't have to buy another one in 6 months time? Or am I asking the impossible? The new P&Ts seem to me to be the closest.

Thank you (sorry this is so long)

HardlyEverHoovers Fri 03-Aug-12 23:05:27

Hi, it sounds like you're budget is a bit more than mine was when I was looking, but I really liked the look of the Babzee which you can get for £90 new on ebay. My reservations were that it might fall apart, but spoke to a friend who had used it with her older 2 boys, passed it on to a friend and is now buying a new one for her younger 2. She really loved it. Its basically an umbrella fold with an extra seat stuck between the handle bars. Suitable from birth. We travel abroad to visit inlaws quite a lot so we liked the fact that we would be able to take it on the plane. No decision was needed in the end as I miscarried, unfortunately.
I wonder if that might fit your request for a wonder pushchair! Have a look and see what you think.
The other double buggy I have experience of is Phil and Teds (as I used to look after a friends 2 little ones a lot). I share your concern about the baby being so low down. I don't think it bothers the baby though, more for the mothers comfort. Other than that it was great, could get in and out any door with it. Some people are concerned that the child sitting in the back seat might be getting a raw deal, but it never seemed to bother the boys I looked after.
Best of luck in finding the right one!

HardlyEverHoovers Fri 03-Aug-12 23:06:31

The full name of the pushchair is babzee dyad.

2to3 Fri 03-Aug-12 23:23:33

P&T is great. I had twins in it and never worried about one being in the low seat. Many twin mums love the Nipper 360 double - if that will fit your doorway then well worth a try. We had the single version for no. 3 and loved it - cheap, light and durable.

Tiggywunkle Sat 04-Aug-12 01:01:19

First of all you can put a Cabriofix on a B- Dual using Oyster adaptors. It's not safety approved but I know of people who use it like this.
Secondly, no offence at all, but a City Select actually is shorter than a Phil&Teds - it's an optical illusion because the P&Ts has the length at the rear whereas the BJCS is actually only really the length of the chassis in any two seat mode, although its a bit longer in carrycot mode). That's not to say I recommend the BJCS because I have the same age gap and it only lasted me 10 months before it was painful to push.
Thirdly, if your eldest naps, don't forget the P&Ts seats done recline in newborn and toddler mode when your eldest is on top on the doubles kit. I don't know if this matters but it's worth mentioning.
Don't dismiss the +one - no it won't suit you right now but down the line it could be as fab for you as it now is for us. But I definitely wouldn't get it with a newborn and your age gap.
Have a look at the Jane Twone, Micralite Twofold, Babystyle Oyster Max and Smyths Dimples Duo too. The Twone has a tiny fold for a tandem. I suspect the Twofold will be neat too.
But if you can stretch to a Peach Blossom 2 then it would be money well spent IMHO. Its a fabulous tandem. Failing that a PB1 would get you through the first year and I would rather have a second hand PB1 than a P&Ts. After a year you can then get the +one ;)

Tiggywunkle Sat 04-Aug-12 01:07:38

The P&T Navigator can only parent face in single mode and with the addition of the Face to Face seat. But this seat according to the advertising blurb is the same degree as a car seat and only lasts up to 9kgs so you may as well just use the car seat IMHO and save the cost of the seat.
When you look at a P&Ts be very critical about which child will go where and at what age. We struggle because the eldest wants to hop in and out but she's too big for underneath but the pushchair tips if the youngest is in with no child on top plus it looks silly. Plus if your eldest does nap then after six months are you happy with the upper seat being reclined above the baby?

backinaminute Sun 05-Aug-12 20:24:29

Thank you all. It's such a mine fine. I went to see the Dot in the flesh (although they didn't have the second seat) and I was really impressed as it was so compact. I think I'm going to take the plunge with it. My logic is that if it doesn't work in a years time we might trade it for a +one. The Dot looked smaller than my bjcm - I was really impressed. I did look at the peach blossom. I'm a bit nervous to pay that much for a second hand pushchair and new it would be nearly double the price of the P&Ts. I also like the fact that you just whip off one seat and it's easy to collapse. Here's hoping it'll suit what we need. Thank you

BoSho Sat 06-Apr-13 21:27:36

Hi backinaminute, was just searching through old posts because we're considering a P&T Dot. Did you buy one in the end? If so, would you mind telling me what you think of it? Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now