Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Second hand Oyster

(14 Posts)
AmandinePoulain Mon 19-Mar-12 11:10:25

I've been offered an Oyster that will be 2 years old by the time my baby is born. As it is our current favourite I am obviously very pleased about this and glad to save about £200 off the price of a brand new one grin. However, I have a few questions for any Oyster experts out there.

We'll be buying a new carseat, and I don't really like the look of the Oyster one - it looks a bit flimsy to me, so we'll probably go for either the Cabriofix (adapters are included in the sale) or the Britax. I know that the Cabriofix fits on the one I'm being offered as that's what the previous owner had, but do you know if the Britax will fit the older version of the Oyster? And if I decide to buy a new colour pack (just because they look so pretty wink) will that fit on the older model? Anything else I should know?

If we decide to buy brand new I'm not sure we could stretch to an Oyster so we'd probably go for our 2nd favourite, the Sola, which we can get from a local M&P outlet store, but I love the Oyster more!

StuckUpTheFezziwigTree Mon 19-Mar-12 11:14:06

Yes the Britax will definitely fit. You don't need adaptors for it, as you do for the maxi cosi. Not sure about the colour pack though. If you ring them they are very helpful.

AmandinePoulain Mon 19-Mar-12 11:26:24

Thanks! We don't actually need the colour pack but the plum one is so pretty and we're having a girl grin

HypatiaTheProcrastinator Mon 19-Mar-12 11:50:51

Have you seen how much they sell for on eBay? I'd buy a newer version for about £150 personally. The Sola is more cheaply made and the basket is a silly shape and size. For the money, an Oyster would be better. smile

Tiggywunkle Mon 19-Mar-12 13:45:06

How much is your friend selling theirs for because as Hypatia says they are little more than £200 new on EBay and especially if you plan to buy a colour pack anyway.
The Oyster is pretty top spec for any pushchair, never mind one at such a great price. There's no comparison between the Oyster and Sola on every level. The Sola is huge folded. I put mine in the car for the first time yesterday and it's filled my boot lengthwise. The Oyster fits in half because it goes in width wise. There's nothing about the Sola I could recommend TBH although funnily both the Oyster and Sola have the same wheels smile

ItsMyLastOne Mon 19-Mar-12 14:05:48

She said she's saving £200 so presumably we're talking about £100 all in? Although I agree that you might be better off buying on eBay (or gumtree or whatever) if you'll be changing the colour pack and not needing the adapters.

I have the grape colour pack and it's lovely, but I did find it hard to get a nice footmuff to match when dd outgrew the oyster footmuff.

And in terms of the britax seat, it depends which on you get. They've updated it a few times so the older style one I have came with adapters which fit the oyster. On new britax seats they don't need adapters. The new seat looks a lot better too.

Tiggywunkle Mon 19-Mar-12 14:18:09

Do the older ones have the hoods which slide up the frame? -- Or are they not really meant to do that?--

Tiggywunkle Mon 19-Mar-12 14:18:24

Hmm that didn't work lol

ItsMyLastOne Mon 19-Mar-12 14:26:18

Oh I forgot about the hood question. All the hoods fit on in the same way, it's just the design of the hood which has changed. My original one had the zip out sun net, one I bought 9 months later didn't, and iirc the newer ones have a flip out sun visor. But the rods are all the same. The only ones I'm not 100% sure about are the oyster plush ones.
All of them will slide up the frame as the rods and runner are the same.

AmandinePoulain Mon 19-Mar-12 15:21:52

She's selling it for £200 inc the carrycot, maxi cosi adaptors and rain covers (I'm not sure about the apron but I assume that too) so I've calculated about £200 less than if I bought the pushchair, carrycot and colour packs new from mothercare, and about comparable with a second hand eBay one (and I'm very wary of eBay for big purchases having been stung in the past, at least I know where this one is coming from). Then I'm looking at £99-130 for the car seat, depending on which one I go for.

ItsMyLastOne Mon 19-Mar-12 16:29:50

I forgot about the carrycot! Yes that seems about right?

Have you seen Halfords have the new model reduced to £90? It's here. smile

AmandinePoulain Mon 19-Mar-12 16:47:30

That price is interesting! As tempting as it is though I'd rather have the pram in front of me when trying out the seats though just to make sure I'm happy with the way it all fits together.

ItsMyLastOne Tue 20-Mar-12 23:20:36

I'd reserve the car seat online and then take the pushchair in to the shop to try it out.

Maxcat12 Sun 05-Mar-17 10:35:28

Hey all
We have recently bought the Oyster 2 pram. I have been offered an oyster 1 carrycot from my friend.

So my question is does anyone know if the oyster 1 carrycot fits the oyster 2 chassis??

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now