Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Help! Which pram should I get?

(8 Posts)
Ems14 Tue 18-Oct-11 11:55:02

Hello

I am due in January with my first baby (don’t know if boy or girl yet). I am starting to look into the minefield that is pram shopping.

I need one that is easy to get on and off the bus/train and light enough to carry up stairs (I live on the third floor). I am 5ft 10 and have seen some other prams that look really low so want one that I don't look silly pushing around or that will give me a sore back etc etc.

Other requirements are front and rear facing, compatible with the maxi cosy car seat and will last up until maybe 3. Quite sturdy to go off road but only through the park nothing too extreme.

Any suggestions or advice would be most appreciated!

Many thanks
E

Tiggywunkle Tue 18-Oct-11 12:51:56

Being honest, I am not sure you will get everything in one package.
My suggestions for what they are worth are a Quinny Zapp Xtra but it's low handled, not great on serious off road and two piece fold. But it's light to carry, takes a car seat (although I don't recommend it) and faces both ways and if baby was in a sling going upstairs then it would be easy to manage.
The Baby Jogger City Mini takes a lot of beating. It's easy to carry, high handle, takes a car seat, and will last you well. But there's no seat parent facing option although the carrycot and car seat would parent face. I am wondering if the Elite might be better though because I bet you could bump it up the stairs. Long term you need to think past newborn to potentially having a 15 month wriggly, crawling, non walking baby, and how you would carry them up - whether a sling, or bumping in a pushchair or in the car seat, and if the pushchair isn't a one handed fold where you will put baby whilst you fold the pushchair - it's not easy bending over to fold something with baby in a sling. The Elite and City Mini are one handed folds.
A Micralite may be a possibility, certainly for bumping up stairs. Or you could contemplate a from birth umbrella fold stroller / pushchair that you could pull up the stairs behind you.
It's a hard one though.
Can you leave the chassis / pushchair in the car?

Ems14 Tue 18-Oct-11 15:08:24

Thank you for your advice - maybe I am being too optimistic asking for everything in one!

Luckily we will be moving at some point before baby is 6 months old so shouldnt have to worry about the stair for too long. I'm going to go have a look at prams etc soon so will note down all your suggestions.
Many thanks

Tiggywunkle Tue 18-Oct-11 17:13:30

In that case to be honest, I would work out the easiest option for now and treat yourself to the pushchair of your dreams when the baby is six months old smile

aswellasyou Tue 18-Oct-11 17:24:08

I'd get a BJCM with soft carrycot for now and buy something else when you move.

Oldhands Sun 23-Oct-11 12:07:50

The stokke is quite high up and should be easier on your back - you can see one here : www.pramsupermarket.com/compare-stokke-xplory-pushchair

What do think ?

saoirse86 Mon 24-Oct-11 11:10:18

My first thought was the uppababy vista. Worth considering despite the stairs.

My other thought is, as you're talking about getting a car seat, do you have a car that's always parked outside your flat? If you do then just store the pushchair in the boot and carry the baby up in the car seat/carrycot/sling/your arms. I have a friend who does this and it makes her life much easier.

mamadivazback Mon 24-Oct-11 11:12:37

To be honest it is pretty much impossible to have one pushchair for everything.

I'd suggest getting a Baby Jogger City Mini and carrycot to start with because it is such a simple fold (literally pull a strap and it folds in half), can attach a maxi cosi seat, is quite lightweight, has good sized wheels and it is comfy.

In a few months when you move you could get a rear facer and keep the city mini as a lightweight pushchair, but I know there is a reversible version of the mini coming out which might be perfect!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now