Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Phil & Teds or BJCM double? Anything else to consider?

(4 Posts)
buttonmoon78 Tue 18-Oct-11 11:01:51

Soooo... I've started looking after my friend's 7mo baby two days a week. I currently have a Loola for my 3mo which I love but obviously it's not great when I have to look after them both. So I'm having a little mare about what to do. From where I'm standing there are two options:

1. Get a P&T so I have the flexibility of using as a single/double as necessary. This would entail purchasing off ebay and then selling my Loola to recoup some of the cost.

2. Get a BJCM double off ebay. These seem to go for less (confused) so I could probably stretch to getting one of these in addition to my Loola but I'd then have a double pushchair for 2 days a week and cluttering up the house for the rest.

I think I know what I'm going to have to do but I suppose I was just wondering if anyone else had any other/better suggestions?

NB. money is most definitely an object - for various reasons I'm not doing this for money.

Tiggywunkle Tue 18-Oct-11 11:21:33

Go and have a look at Best Buggy Given one baby is over 6 months old, the Hauck Duett may be a good option. It's cheap even new, and is really good. If you have a little more money or can find a good deal second hand then the B-Dual gives you a bit more for your money ie softer ride, slightly better quality. both can be used as a single too.
I don't personally see a P&Ts as suitable for you at present because your baby is under 6 months but the other baby isn't old enough to be sat upright in the P&Ts doubles kit on the front ie in newborn mode. Even if you got a P&Ts with a reclining lower seat, the recline isn't much and I not think you could have the upper seat flat with the other baby reclined underneath successfully, you would struggle to access the lower child. I don't think you have a good age gap.
The Baby Jogger City Mini is a good choice. If you pop the wheels off it would slide into a gap for storage. But think about how you will make the seat snug for a tiny baby. You may end up buying a soft cot or cocoon something. But you could just use blankets. Again although there's a huge basket, it's hard to access.
But do have a look at the Hauck and B-Dual.

buttonmoon78 Tue 18-Oct-11 11:31:33

Righto. Off to do some investigation!

I know re the age gap - it's not easy looking after them both but given the circs I didn't feel I could say no.

Tiggywunkle Tue 18-Oct-11 12:56:24

You will be fine smile Sometimes it's easier looking after close together in age. I think it's important you consider how each can be reclined so they can sleep together at the same time. But equally if this is longer term, how they will sleep once they are both sat up ie say 12 months plus but then one falls asleep. With a side by side it's easy to recline one child. With a tandem, could you recline (even slightly) one child enough so they can sleep comfortably without compromising the sat up child underneath?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now