Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

I really wanted to be a one pushchair mother.

(27 Posts)
StetsonsAreCool Sun 09-Oct-11 22:41:51

But I don't think I'm going to make it grin Please help me release my inner pram addict!

We have a Britax B Smart that we've absolutely loved so far. I love the big hood, the big wheels, the parent facing, the leg rest, the recline positions and the basket.

I don't love having to take a wheel off to get in the boot of my punto. Or the fact that it is getting quite heavy now.

DD is 16 months and very mobile and stroppy independent, I've probably another 8 or 9 months of her being in there if I gaffer tape her down I reckon. She's not fussed about facing backwards any more.

I was thinking BJCM, second hand. But I'm not sure about the dangly legs - she's dinky so her feet won't be resting on anything for a while yet. Is the angle of the leg rest part ok? And I've heard that there isn't much back support and she might end up slouching - yay or nay? How does it compare to the Elite?

I'm not convinced about the B Agile, and for a while I wanted the Bee but I've gone off that too. Is there anything else I might like?

Hungrydragon Sun 09-Oct-11 22:46:16

My perfect partnership was the Britax Vigour (b smarts predecessor) and the Bee Plus. Only time I was happy. blush

StetsonsAreCool Sun 09-Oct-11 22:49:39

Interesting <strokes chin> I do love the Bsmart, it just feels really heavy now, and it's a bugger to get in the boot!

Maybe I need to reignite my crush on the bee+ then. Only, there's no leg rest. But I do like that it folds while rear facing. Perhaps I just have to try DD in it? What are the problems with the wheels?

StetsonsAreCool Sun 09-Oct-11 22:49:53

And thanks, btw blush

Tiggywunkle Sun 09-Oct-11 22:50:07

The new 2011 City Minis have PE boards in the back to offer more back support if it's an issue (it's never been for us) and you can buy PE boards or insert some cardboard! The Elite has much more seat padding, forever air wheels, adjustable handle, parent console, better basket access, handbrake, more peekaboo windows, lift up calf rest, and chunky footrest. I think the Baby Joggers take a lot of betting. The Elite is heavier than the City Mini. The B-Agile is very good but the handle is incredibly low!

Hungrydragon Sun 09-Oct-11 22:58:25

Yes, I'm still debating whether to try the Jogger too. grin In theory if you buy a new Bee+ after October it will have the new wheels on and you won't have an issue. The wheel shimmy in some led to the wheels also looking. I was badly affected as the pushchair tipped walloping dd's head, thankfully she was ok and Bugaboo handled it very well.

I've had the new wheels a couple of weeks now and they are much, much improve and have had no shimmying.

StetsonsAreCool Sun 09-Oct-11 23:01:13

See, I'm liking the leg support part of the Elite more and more. Are the legs really dangly in the Mini, or am I worrying over nothing? I'm having pfb paranoia at the moment...

With the handle height - I'm short, but it appears I like high handles. We used a Silver Cross Pop on holiday this year. It's far too rickety to be an everyday pushchair, but it was dreamy light! I think that's why the b smart feels heavier now.

Tiggywunkle Sun 09-Oct-11 23:13:15

My baby has been in the City Mini since birth and I find when I put him into our double Elite double or other pushchairs with a leg rest that he always dangles them off the side anyway! I am fed up of putting his legs back on the rests again!!! He's fine with his legs straight down TBH.

StetsonsAreCool Sun 09-Oct-11 23:44:41

That's good to know. I think I'm just nit picking grin

I didn't really want to have to buy another one. But I really really want a change. It's like asking me to use one handbag for three years!

I think I'd be a proper addict if I could do ebay - I like something different every couple of weeks.

Between the bjcm and bee+, which would be better for grass/bumpy paths. We go on out of town walks, but on pathways not proper off-road. The b smart just swallows up any bump the terrain can throw at us, but presumably the wheels on these two are smaller. I guess the cm would be the better bet wouldn't it? And the bee for towns?

MonkeysPunk Sun 09-Oct-11 23:59:50

I think the BJCM coped better with the bumpy ground than the Bee+. I managed to take the BJCM along an overgrown railway track in Lincolnshire - and down the unsurfaced track to get there that was rocky and had pot-holes. I don't think the Bee+ would've managed that. The wheels on the BJCM are much bigger.
There is only suspension over the front wheel of the BJCM - however it seems to "act" for the whole unit somehow - and so remained comfortable to push.
The BJCM also seems a whole lot "sturdier" and like it can take more abuse - than the Bee+ (which seemed a little "delicate" - in that I wouldn't have liked to pile bags on the Bee+ in the car boot/ on the bus/train - but wouldn't have minded with the BJCM as it just felt a lot more robust and less easy to damage by design.
They're quite different buggies - and the Bee+ is a lot more nippy and fast around shops/ smooth paved areas, than the BJCM - but the BJCM is more versatile IMO.

suzie38 Mon 10-Oct-11 08:28:21

Bee+ doesn't handle bumpy terrain well at all...It's strictly a pavement pushchair.

StetsonsAreCool Mon 10-Oct-11 21:21:30

Even the pavements around here are in training to be offroaders when they grow up hmm

Thanks everyone, BJCM it is! I think I always knew it deep down. Best get it on my Chrismas list saving then grin

MonkeysPunk Mon 10-Oct-11 22:40:52

Sale BJCM at www.pramworld.co.uk - stock level is showing 0 - but it looks as though you can still add to your basket and using code FB10 until midnight tonight (Monday 10 10 11) you would get another 10% off!

MonkeysPunk Mon 10-Oct-11 22:41:45

Ah, sorry - it can't be added to your basket - so sorry! Thought I'd found a bargain for you there. sad

MonkeysPunk Mon 10-Oct-11 22:46:02

Stone BJCM on Sale currently in stock and Orange/Grey BJCM on Sale and currently in stock - 2 of each left at time of typing - and you should get an extra 10% using that code so a good deal. These don't have the sit up straps I think - but personally I have one with the boards and sit up straps (having previously owned another model without) and I can honestly say it doesn't make much difference - and with my 3y old - sitting him bolt upright with the sit up straps just makes the buggy harder to steer so I don't use them anyway. They are just velcro tabs which push the seat forwards for children than like the bolt upright position.
I think the seat is really comfy in the bjcm for kids of all ages/sizes.

MonkeysPunk Mon 10-Oct-11 22:53:24

So sorry to mislead you - I just tried that code with the BJCM's on sale and it didn't work - perhaps because they're already reduced in price. sad

StetsonsAreCool Mon 10-Oct-11 23:15:40

Ooh, thanks, it's still a great price from what I've seen elsewhere! I just have to keep my fingers crossed that we hit our targets at work last quarter and get a bonus on pay day, then I can treat myself!

What happened to a treat being new make up and handbag and a night out?

Tiggywunkle Tue 11-Oct-11 10:58:30

Lol I know what you mean! Our Christmas present this year is storage for toys! I am fed up of seeing them everywhere!

StetsonsAreCool Tue 11-Oct-11 17:56:26

grin I'm getting my bonus this month!!! And I'm blowing it on a pushchair <faints> <happy coma> Just got to keep my fingers crossed that they stay in stock until Friday now.

Must make a note of toy storage for Christmas. Looks like DD is getting plenty from the GPs, so that might actually save my brain.

Thanks for all your help everyone! I wish I had the dedication (and knack for ebay-ing pushchairs) to join in your big thread. I love them!

StetsonsAreCool Sun 16-Oct-11 21:03:57

Quick update:

I went to try the BJCM out on Friday. It doesn't blardy fit in my boot! How is this possible? No matter which way I did it I still had to take a wheel off, which defies the point of a smaller pushchair.

BUT (and it's a big but)

The B Agile DOES fit in my car, with both wheels on and everything. So I got that instead blush Ok, so it was £50 more <does a little sick in mouth> but it comes with the raincover and I already have a cosytoes from the B Smart I'll just have to cut a whole in the back. And it has the converters so that I could, in theory, put the carry cot we already have on it for the next (hypothetical) baby.

It should arrive in a week. I'm disproportionately excited grin blush grin

Thanks again for all your help!

Tiggywunkle Sun 16-Oct-11 21:17:03

How on earth does the BJCM not fit sad sad sad
Just before you finally get the B-Agile - are you aware the handle is incredibly low? I got mine a week ago and it's too low for me to use. I thought it was great at first but half way down the road my back started to hurt. I knew the handle was low but I didn't realise it was only 96cms! I don't know how tall you are but I am 5ft 6ins. I just wanted to flag it up as someone who spent the cash and has regretted it!

StetsonsAreCool Sun 16-Oct-11 21:41:33

I know!! I mean, the clue's in the name surely? One wheel just kept getting in the way of the boot no matter which way I tried. Twas most peculiar. I'm sad about it, but DD wouldn't stay in it, she kept wriggling to get out. It's the second, seperate occasion that's happened as well. Whereas she kept trying to climb into the britax. I think that's because the show model was red, and the bjcm was black. I think she would have thought differently about the pretty purple one!

It's alright though, I'm only 5ft 2 and a quarter grin

HauntedPramsScreamsGalore Sun 16-Oct-11 21:45:28

i am only 5 foot and i have all my handles set at 99cm!! it is very low

Tiggywunkle Sun 16-Oct-11 21:53:19

That's fine then! I was sooo surprised because Britax pushchairs usually have a high handle!

StetsonsAreCool Sun 16-Oct-11 22:10:32

I always reset the b smart handle to a quite low setting. It seemed ok in the shop.

We also have a silver cross pop that I leave with my Nan for when DD is there once a week. The handles are too high to be comfy for me on that. We used it on holiday recently and I was so glad to get back to my low handlebar!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now