Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Bugaboo Donkey or Mountain Buggy Urban?

(9 Posts)
smellimelli Fri 30-Sep-11 22:17:27

I have a 9.5 month old and one on the way. There will be a 16 month gap between them.

We don't use public transport and live in a rural area so don't need to worry about getting on and off buses etc. Need something that will go in the car and take us round town.

Now the thing is I love the way the Donkey has forward and rear facing for seat and carrycot BUT <whispers> I don't think it looks very sturdy or well made. And do we really want to spend that sort of money on a buggy?

We've seen a lovely second hand MB (you can imagine the price difference). The problem is that the seats only face forward. DD1 like having a chat with me but she is getting older so am I being daft and would she be happy forward facing? When DC2 gets to 5 months+ they will have to go into forward facing seat. Is this too young? (DD1 still rear faces)

So do we go for the "ideal" that is pricey or compromise on the cheaper option that would probably "make do"?

Thanks for any comments!

ReadRideABikeSwim Fri 30-Sep-11 22:22:07

i'd love an excuse for a donkey!!!

pramsgalore Fri 30-Sep-11 22:23:29

mountain buggys are lovely to push, but they are very big and heavy to lift, don't think i could get it into a car easy, the donkey can turn into a single, when dd1 is older, i would go for the donkey

SazZaVoom Fri 30-Sep-11 22:27:42

I have loved my MB which i have had for 3 years. If you live in a rural area, have you considered the Terrain. Mine is fabulous, and DD1 who is nearly 5 still can go in it on the way back from school (long walk and hilly before anyone goes hmm at a school age child in a buggy)

Second hand MB's are deemed to be better as they were made by the original MB company rather than P&T. I have no idea whether this is true or not.

Oh and my MB is pretty easy to lift, but as it folds flat rather than a concertina it is an awkward shape so you would need to check your car carefully.

Purplebuns Fri 30-Sep-11 22:35:22

I can't believe the Donkey is poor quality my Bee and Cameleon are fab!
I have a single MB and it is great for terrain not so good for in and out shops or everyday use.
I still have DD rearfacing most of the time as she loves to natter to me, and your DD1 is still a little baby. I think if you can afford it then go for the Donkey, the long term potential is there to go to a single, and for me it would be worth it just for the RF. If you look around some stores will do 10% off Bugaboo things so there are ways to save money.
Oh and I live in a rural area and love a muddy walk through rough woodland smile

Purplebuns Fri 30-Sep-11 22:37:01

Also don't forget the resale on a Donkey will be huge! I will probably get 50% back on my Cameleon and Bee when I sell so they are quite cheap if you think of it that way.

suzie38 Fri 30-Sep-11 22:42:42

The Donkey is very strong and sturdy and well made...It's a delight to push.

smellimelli Sat 01-Oct-11 11:39:34

Thank you for all your comments. It's made it easier to justify getting the Donkey to DH!

Getdressed Sat 01-Oct-11 21:28:12

Have you considered the MB with the carrycot? I loved my MB soooo much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now