Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Talk to me about the MB Duet

(16 Posts)
RunningGuerita Tue 27-Sep-11 15:34:41

We had a quick look at it a couple of weekends ago and just don't believe that it is only 63cm wide. Is that just the width of the wheel base? We didn't have a tape measurer but it just looked huge in the shop.

We have had the Swift for a year now and love it, love it, love it. Compact, a dream to push and we can use the tow path with it. Number two is on the way and with only an 18 month gap, living in central London and not using the car, we need a double buggy. We walk everywhere or use the bus. I would love to find another MB that does the job but the Duet just looks SO wide...

I know people on here love the iCandy peach blossom and the Britax Dual but we really want something that can handle the gravely, muddy tow path. Am just worried the Duet will be huge and completely impractical in shops. Does anyone own one and use it for city living?

Thanks.

Tiggywunkle Tue 27-Sep-11 15:50:29

The width is 63cms but it's about half way up rather than at wheel height which meant I kept knocking things off shelves and displays as with wider pushchairs wheels tend to fit under displays. But generally the width was great around shops. It's a real optical illusion to be honest.

If you have the Swift already you will know about the niggles eg the handle is low (even at it's highest), the bunching up of fabric behind the child post recline etc.
I have siblings and I found the children were too close ie my daughters feet were next to my babys bare feet and I had to remove her shoes when we went in the Duet. The hoods catch together and my toddler took great delight at flinging her hood back and thus her brothers too, and then she could lean over and poke him. My Duet veered badly to the side my eldest was sat. IMHO I think the Duet is probably better for twins with a more even weight distribution and same stage of development. I got such back problems from a combination of the low handle, weight, veering to one side that I had to stop using the Duet.

However whilst we have a similar age gap my eldest is almost three so you probably wouldn't experience the weight issues I have for another year and a half.

RunningGuerita Tue 27-Sep-11 15:55:03

Thanks Tiggy.
Awww, crap. Was really trying to avoid a P&T Explorer...

pramsgalore Tue 27-Sep-11 15:56:39

have a look at the p&t verve it is fab, so much better grin

RunningGuerita Tue 27-Sep-11 16:08:38

I know, I know but you can't offroad with it and it's quite long at 127cm. I would think it would be awkward for buses.

RunningGuerita Tue 27-Sep-11 16:09:58

Apologies I don't mean to be dismissive. Am very grateful for your comments and suggestions, just despairing at having to retire/sell my swift :-(

Any new things coming down the pipeline for those of you in the know? Little one isn't due to arrive till end of March so there's no rush really.

pramsgalore Tue 27-Sep-11 16:56:29

i have taken mine on a park and ride bus and taken it off road, p&t have a new one coming out next year sometime, see other thread for details grin i am surprised you think it long

RunningGuerita Tue 27-Sep-11 18:12:56

Oh maybe I read the measurements incorrectly off of bestbuggy.co.uk

pramsgalore Tue 27-Sep-11 18:22:15

i don't know, i have never measured it, but i have used alot of p&t models and the verve does not seem any longer, it is worth a look if you are going down the p&t route, it is much more stable than the other P&t's with 3 wheels, to give you an idea i push around a 5 year old and a 3 year old in mine and find it easy and ds can jump out of the front leaving dd in the back and it won't tip, the back seat also reclines and not just the fabric, but the whole seat.

RunningGuerita Tue 27-Sep-11 19:31:41

How about the MB +one? Or is the front seat just too small for a toddler (the whole frogleg thing) and the seats don't recline....

pramsgalore Tue 27-Sep-11 19:54:11

i don't know much about them but this would put me off

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR_2kIW99d0&NR=1

the leg room on the front is very bad

Tiggywunkle Tue 27-Sep-11 20:49:31

It is approx 127cms long. P&Ts are deceptive - they look small, neat and pointy from the front, but the seats slope and the handlebars and often doubles kits (not so much with the Verve) overhang a fair way at the back. But a bus drivers impressions of a neat slim pushchair may well get you on a bus better than arguing the Duet is a similar width to a Verve and not a huge side by side lol. It's one reason the side by side comparison section exists on www.bestbuggy.co.uk ie to show that the BJCS isn't like a bus or barge, and that the Nipper isn't tiny, and that the Elite isn't huge, and that the B-Dual isn't monstrously tall!!

Tiggywunkle Tue 27-Sep-11 20:56:41

BTW 127cms is with the handle at maximum extension ie flat as I would have it - the Verve could be marginally shorter with the handle down or up.

Tiggywunkle Tue 27-Sep-11 21:02:39

I think if you are interested in a +one then you have to seriously think about your age gap ie who will go where and when. Is there enough recline for a 6 month old? At what age could frog legs occur in the front (I hadn't spotted this until I saw the NZ video with the girl in her wellies)? I had planned to pad DS (14 months) out in the back with a head support so he can sleep but DD is tall and I can see me being forced to switch them to give her leg room which leaves me only using it for short outings where I know DS won't sleep ie not nap time, unless my head supports work well. Its arrival will be timed about right for us TBH. I doubt I could have used it from 6 months plus until now.

RunningGuerita Wed 28-Sep-11 10:20:20

Thanks Tiggy. Would love to hear how you get on with it.

mamaesi Wed 28-Sep-11 22:59:56

I am so sad to hear you had problems with the Duet....I really thought this was the answer for me. I am due in december and will have a 20 month gap...

the older child is heavy and tall so I am really trying to figure out the best solution for a double. she will need room and I also want the seats to recline for both kids... I also need to get around london without a car!

which double would you all suggest?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now