Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Baby Jogger City Select

(9 Posts)
papillonrouge Sat 17-Sep-11 10:01:46

So, I've read lots of threads on here raving about the BJCS as a double and I like it because of the many parent facing options. However, I think a lot of the threads were old and by testers - there didn't seem to be many owners who had used one for a few months/years. I am thinking about getting one but all the ads on Preloved or ebay are for very new ones - just a few months old in some cases. I was imagining using mine as a double for both DS (17mth gap), then as a single until DS2 is 3yrs old or something. Anyone got one of these pushchairs - do you like it? Should it last a good few years? And if you think they are rubbish what would you get instead?

aswellasyou Sat 17-Sep-11 11:54:39

I tried one out with my niece at the back (10kg at the time) and my daughter at the front (8.5kg at the time). The one issue I knew to look out for was difficulty lifting it up kerbs, so I tried to lift it up and down a display stand and it was really difficult. It was also a little bit heavy to steer but not really hard.
Tiggy has just sold hers because of the weight issues. Have a look at Best Buggy for more information.
If I were you, I'd be looking more towards a Peach Blossom. The current second seat is a bit too reclined but they've fixed it with the new version out in the next couple of months. Have a look at that on BB too.

I ended up with a Britax B-Dual which is great in every way except that the seats are a bit reclined. The babies don't mind yet and we use padded liners to lift them forwards a bit. I couldn't have afforded a second hand Peach Blossom or I would have had that instead. If money was no object, I'd have got a Mima Kobi though!

Tiggywunkle Sat 17-Sep-11 22:15:18

As aswellasyou says, I bought the BJCS thinking it would see me through until DD was walking (21 month old gap). I had no issue with kerbs as we have tons of dropped kerbs here and loved it to pieces. But by the time baby was 9/10 months old the strain on my arms pushing if the pavement wasn't completely flat was too much. I hung onto the BJCS until a week ago and then sold it. It simply hurt too much to use (and I am a determined whatsit!) I pondered keeping it as a single but the back wheels are wider than an average single and in single mode the front end is long (no problem as a tandem) and I decided there were better singles so sold it. Having been there and bought / tried most tandems the B-Dual or new (not current) Peach Blossom will give you the longevity of use.

papillonrouge Sun 18-Sep-11 10:34:11

Wonderful, thanks both - I actually asked one of the sellers on Preloved and she said similar. At least that makes the decision for me - no point paying a fortune for something that will only last a few months. Will look into the other two you recommend or may just end up with the ubiquitous P&T!

Tiggywunkle Sun 18-Sep-11 11:46:09

Just to add, I don't know when you are due but there's some potentially very exciting stuff coming from the Cologne show at present. If you have a while to go ie next year, I would hold fire and watch for announcements and news. There's at least three doubles I am very very excited about for next year...if what I am hearing is correct!

YouHaveNoPowerOverMe Mon 19-Sep-11 22:24:29

Oh god. I loved my city select!

I have 17months between mine and it was amazing. I sol it very recently bit only coz I got a new car and it wouldn't fit in the boot otherwise I'd still be using it.

It wasn't heavy at all to push and I live in a lower ground floor flat so was bumping this up and down stairs with a 1yr old and a 2 1/2 yr old. It was easy to get up kerbs as you could use the metal bar at the bottom for leverage.

It was fab in singles mode too.

Oh how I wish I still had it. sad

aswellasyou Mon 19-Sep-11 22:32:42

Do you mean that you sold it when your children were 1 and 2.5? If that's the case, then that's probably why you hadn't yet noticed the heaviness. Or maybe you haven't had as many doubles as we have to compare, or you're just really strong!grin I wouldn't consider stepping on a metal bar to go up kerbs as 'easy' to be honest. I've never had to do it with any of mine.

Tiggywunkle Mon 19-Sep-11 22:37:59

My two were 2.5 and 9 months at the point it started to hurt my arms to use my BJCS but my two are really tall and heavy. There is no way I could bump mine up stairs even when they were younger. One step was fine. But the length v's bumping would have been scary ie the balance. I would have been scared to do it! A lot depends on your routes though. I did take mine out after the ages above but only on smooth flat shopping malls wgphich were fine.

YouHaveNoPowerOverMe Tue 20-Sep-11 07:43:30

I've had about 15 prams in total so definitely had others to compare it too! It was lighter than some of the singles I have had! When ds2 was smaller I used to look after my friends son 2 days a week so I would have 2 2yr olds in the city select and baby in a sling! Still found it easy. I'm by no means strong. I just honestly didn't find it heavy at all!

I got a jusonne Othello double after as it fit in my car but got rid after a week as it was a pain in the ass to push.

I'm ordering a phil and teds today (if I can find one, does anyone know why the explorer is out of stock on almost every website I look on?) because we're moving house from somewhere that had no snow last year to somewhere where people where getting stranded so need a pram that I can use in singles mode but that the toddler can still jump in if the snows to much for him!

Starting to wish I just got a bigger car and kept the select! Lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now