Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Second seat//doubles kit for Phil & Teds Explorer

(10 Posts)
Flumpwoman Fri 16-Sep-11 10:49:22

I am expecting baby no2 in 4 weeks. We sold our Bugaboo and bought a P&T Explorer a month or so ago and I'm about to buy a doubles kit. However, I've just come across a terrible review of the Explorer Doubles Kit on Mothercare that says it doesn't recline and is really stiff:
http://www.mothercare.com/Phil-Teds-Tandem-Kit-Black/dp/B00415Y9IE?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_7&nodeId=598247031&sr=1-7&qid=1316164574&pf_rd_r=1TAF08JFVQ4DW0P1TQDJ&pf_rd_m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=598247031&pf_rd_p=231490867&pf_rd_s=related-tab-3-5

Does anyone know if the Sport or Hammerhead doubles kit will fit the Explorer both on top and underneath and with raincover? Any pointers as to where to buy? I'm happy with second hand.

Oh and whilst I'm on here, has anyone used the maxicosi cabrio fitting on top too? Just trying to work out how much kit I need for new baby!
Thanks ladies.

pramsgalore Fri 16-Sep-11 11:18:47

looking at phil and teds webb site the second seat on the explorer does not recline, however even though the sport does, it does not recline by much and also there is a bar that run along the back of the seat so if lo head is on or above this, recline is useless, i have read that the hammerhead doubles seat fits the explorer and this does recline, but i don't know how or if it is the same design as the sport second seat.
i have the verve and the recline on the second seat is fab, the whole seat reclines not just the fabric.

pramsgalore Fri 16-Sep-11 11:23:23

you can buy it here although they are saying it is like the sport recline, but i think its more padded and if it don't fit you could send it back.

www.practicalpushchairs.co.uk/accessories/phil-and-&-teds-hammerhead-four-wheeled-pushchair-buggy-hammerhead/297/phil-and-teds-double-me-up-kit-second-seat-toddler-seat-hammerhead-doubles-kit-hammerhead.html

Tiggywunkle Fri 16-Sep-11 12:33:03

Yes the hammerhead doubles kit is similar to the sport in that there is a bar at the back. So it's great until the baby is older and reaches the level of the bar when they won't be able to fit under it. See this photo: www.abcbabystroller.com/wp-content/uploads/products_img/phil%20and%20teds%20dash6.jpg
Nearly everyone I know who has / had an Explorer got the Hammerhead doubles kit. I don't know about the fittings, but if the Explorer attachments are the same as the Sport then the Sport seat should fit.

pramsgalore Fri 16-Sep-11 12:42:32

that second seat looks better than the sport as the head end is enclosed

Flumpwoman Fri 16-Sep-11 19:47:04

Thanks all. God how confusing. My two year old is fairly tall so I'm not sure he'll fit the second seat on the Hammerhead or Sport if the bar is that much of an issue. Tiggywunkle, did your friends have an issue with their older kid fitting in the second seat?

pramsgalore Fri 16-Sep-11 19:57:44

he will fit, you just won't be able to recline the seat, my 5 year old still climbed in the back of my sport, now he was too big, but he still fitted grin

pramsgalore Fri 16-Sep-11 20:02:15

although when the seat is on the front [baby and toddler mode] he may be too tall and the hood may not go over his head, i never had this problem with my sport as all my kids are short, but i know/read many that do

Flumpwoman Fri 16-Sep-11 20:33:30

Ok have just made a decision and gone with the Hammerhead secondseat. Found a good deal here with free delivery: www.preciouslittleone.com/product-information/30/11713/phil-and-teds-hammerhead-double-kit---black/

Decided that the baby will only be in the cocoon for a short while and then he/she will fit under the bar for the recline seat. Just hope my 2YO will cope in it til they can swap over!

Thanks again for your advice.

Tiggywunkle Fri 16-Sep-11 21:22:14

Just remember your eldest will actually be on top to start with, not underneath. That's why the Explorer is one f the better P&Ts because it supposedly has plenty of headroom whilst in newborn mode. I believe the Hammerhead doubles kit is better because the bar is underneath the seat pad whereas with earlier models the bar ends up under the child's head which looks really uncomfy. but don't quote me on that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now