Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Can someone talk to me about running buggies?

(19 Posts)
loueytb3 Tue 06-Sep-11 13:42:20

I have been thinking about buying a second-hand buggy to run with (already have a bugaboo cam for normal use). I would like to run 3x week for up to an hour, I don't run particularly fast and it would mostly be on pavements, possibly on woodland paths if the buggy was up to it.

I've had a quick search on here and on ebay and have a few questions.

Do I need one with 20" wheels, or is 16" ok. It seems the 20" ones are much harder to get hold of.

Is there one particular brand/make which is better?

When can I run with it? DS3 is 14 weeks old (but was a month early so 10 corrected). He has quite good head control already. I've seen varying dates from a few weeks to 6 months.

Other than ebay, are there other places that sell them secondhand?

TIA

missmehalia Tue 06-Sep-11 13:47:24

Sometimes there are American makes listed on eBay that look amazing (robust, lightweight etc). Although do consider how long you want to use it for before you buy it. Do you know anyone else with one? See if you can try one out before you put your cash down. Any 2nd hand places got them? I thought I wanted to buy one before I had some advice from a 2nd hand childrenswear shop owner. She suggested that they're great for a while, but often v v narrow, so don't spend too much as when your child gets bigger and is wearing a coat/all in one it's often very restricting for their shoulders and you'll probably want to sell it on.

Just a thought... in the light of that, I actually bought an urban detour that we use for off road walks.

Hevster Tue 06-Sep-11 14:09:43

I have a nipper sport, the seat is massive and it's fantastic to run with, have used it from 4 months as the seat reclines a long way and DD2 loves it. I have seen a couple on ebay but I got mine new from practical pushchairs - added bonus is it's fab on the beach! if you're anywhere near warminster you are
welcome to try it!

loueytb3 Wed 07-Sep-11 21:29:11

Hevster - thanks. Unfortunately I'm nowhere near you but I will have a look on eBay and see what they go for secondhand.

Missmehalia - it would only be for running and I would sell it back once I'd finished with it. I would rather not buy a new one though, not least because I'm not sure DH would agree.

BikeRunSki Wed 07-Sep-11 21:33:57

I ran happily with my P&T Sport (although P&T say that it is not a running buggy) with DS from when he was about 4 months old, to about 11 months old, by which time he fed was a bit fed up/bored. Ran 3 or 4 times a week, for up to an hour, on pavements and bridleways.

saoirse86 Thu 08-Sep-11 10:32:55

You can always try preloved.co.uk or gumtree.co.uk

saoirse86 Thu 08-Sep-11 10:33:22

Sorry, that should be gumtree.com not .co.uk

loueytb3 Thu 08-Sep-11 13:02:39

Thanks saoirse - haven't heard of preloved before, will have a look.

MonkeysPunk Thu 08-Sep-11 13:25:23

Baby Jogger II is the old name for early models of the baby jogger performance - bargains on eBay most days - so keep your eyes peeled - they are the best ones I believe. For use with older babies that can sit up - if under 12 months (but over 6 months as younger than this they may be too small to be upright and take running with you) you would need a "kiddopotamus" body support or similar insert to hold their position safely and some sort of snugglebag for the winter like the Kaiser Iglu XL (also on ebay).

MonkeysPunk Thu 08-Sep-11 13:27:54

Jogger Performance is the more modern model - which may be more comfortable for a young baby - but all are really great for running and also off-road use.

MonkeysPunk Thu 08-Sep-11 13:30:07

Baby Jogger Performance Reviews

loueytb3 Thu 08-Sep-11 13:48:33

MonkeysPunk - thanks. I'm watching one of those baby joggers already. Its a shame the performance you linked to is in Scotland, otherwise I would definitely bid on it.

But it sounds as though I can't really use one until DS3 is 6 months - 3 months to wait <impatient> Mind you, that might mean I could get DH to buy me one for Christmas...

Tiggywunkle Thu 08-Sep-11 14:42:58

You should be able to use the Nipper Sport or a TFK Joggster from birth?

Hevster Thu 08-Sep-11 21:22:22

Nipper sport is ok from 3 months as it's got a great recline and good suspension.

loueytb3 Tue 13-Sep-11 12:27:38

I can't find any nipper sports for sale secondhand which is a shame. I'm watching a baby jogger on ebay which I might bid on tonight.

My DM went nuts at me over the weekend for even considering running with him. She thinks I'm going to tip the buggy over or let it go. I have tried to explain that they are designed to run with but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

Hevster Tue 13-Sep-11 20:57:10

they have a hand strap so if you let go then it won't go far and you don't run fast enough to tip it up!

loueytb3 Thu 15-Sep-11 10:30:16

Thats what I said hevster! Argh. Anyway, the baby jogger II went for way more than I thought (£175) it seems they are like gold dust, the performance someone linked to earlier went for £250 shock. I think i would probably be better off buying a new nipper for £200 and selling it back on ebay when I've finished with it.

Hevster Thu 15-Sep-11 21:25:42

that was my thought and to be fair I use it 2 or 3 times a week so compared to a £40 per month gym subscription it's a flippin bargain! - added to which DD2 is a buggy sleeper and it's lovely and cosey for her in there!

loueytb3 Fri 16-Sep-11 09:34:20

Hevster - did you need any additional bits to go with your nipper to run with your DD when she was 4 months?? (I'm wondering whether I need any additional head support?) Just got to work on DH now...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now