Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Buggy for newborn, small to fit in Nissan Micra boot, with flat bottomed carrycot and easy to take on an airplane.Does it exist?

(20 Posts)
kitia Mon 05-Sep-11 19:42:36

I am looking for a buggy, have got only 6 weeks until the due date. I live in a flat (one flight of stairs, very narrow common part of the corridor, not much of the storage space), drive a Micra and have family and friends abroad. I would love to have a carrycot removable from the chassis but then how is that to travel by plane? Ideally the carrycot should also be able to fit cocoonababy by Red Castle, this fantastic mattress for new borns. Plus obviously I need a car seat which could be mounted on the chassis. I have tried Bugaboo Cameleon but it is too big for Micra (with the carrycot it takes the whole car - boot plus back seat, no room for any shopping, etc), folded chassis just about fits in my hallway but the with inflatable wheels it is not (apparently) appropriate to take on the plane. HEEELP!

fairimum Mon 05-Sep-11 19:45:48

icandy cherry is small but a really lovely buggy and takes a maxicosi!

fairimum Mon 05-Sep-11 19:49:24

the cocoonababy says it shouldn't be used in a carrycot/pram as they are not deep enough...

thelittlebluepills Mon 05-Sep-11 19:54:41

Maclaren Techno XLR with carrycot and car seat?

scarlettsmummy2 Mon 05-Sep-11 19:59:27

I am currently in the same position and am looking for something that will fit in a mini. Thinking either city jogger mini which now comes with a soft carrycot attachment or a mamas and papas luna mix, again with soft carrycot. Neither carrycot is as robust as the one on my big pram, but I think it would be fine for daytime use and travelling (my parents are in Belfast so I want something plane friendly too!)

Tiggywunkle Mon 05-Sep-11 20:02:55

Try a Baby Jogger City Mini? It folds very slim and has a carrycot. There are travelling bags for flying too. I would think if you got the compact rather than the hard carrycot that it would squash down flat and go in the travel bag or else in a large holdall for the flight. A car seat would mount on the chassis but because of this I would recommend the more stable four wheeled City Mini rather than the three wheeled one. Did you fold the Chameleon carrycot flat for travelling BTW? Another bigger option but very flat folded is the Baby Jogger City Select. The chassis should stand on its end in your car, the carrycot flattens down to not very much and I hang my seat on the back of a door. The chassis would probably hang off a hook too. It too takes a car seat. But it's heavier.

Tiggywunkle Mon 05-Sep-11 20:04:18

Scarlettsmummy, there is the option of a hard carrycot too if you can fit it in.

Tiggywunkle Mon 05-Sep-11 20:06:35

This may be too large for the OP but the TFK Joggster Twist may fit in a mini http://www.trendsforkids.com/index.php?id=70

kitia Mon 05-Sep-11 20:08:24

hmmm, thank you. Cocoonababy is actually quite thick but if it fits in a moses basket, should be ok for a bassinet/carrycot? I suppose I will order cocoonababy anyway as it can go in the cot on top of the normal mattress in baby's bedroom and see how I get on with fitting it in the carrycot.

fairimum,thelittlebluepills, scarlettsmummy2 - thank you for your suggestions, most likely a trip to a buggy store at the weekend should be scheduled. At least I know what models to ask for.

Tiggywunkle Mon 05-Sep-11 20:08:42

Oh and the iCandy PR lady has a mini and I think she's had three Peaches in her Mini (and I am sure there were children in there too!) but don't quote me on that!

thisisyesterday Mon 05-Sep-11 20:09:23

it's not ok for a carrycot because it isn;t deep enough.,

you should have at least 20cm (i believe) between the top of the mattress and the top of the carrycot/moses basket/cot/whatever

Tiggywunkle Mon 05-Sep-11 20:10:55

Lol sorry for all the posts - I keep getting distracted by the children. But the new Britax B-Agile is another potentially good pushchair to consider.

kitia Mon 05-Sep-11 20:17:06

Tiggywunkle - not sure actually if I need my car seat to be mounted on the chassis, if the chassis and carrycot fit in the boot I can just transfer baby into it, leaving the car seat in the car. Right? Blooming thing, it is so complicated!

Folding the carrycot flat is quite a lengthy process though, ideally i just want something which gets in/out of the boot easily as this is where I plan to keep the buggy permanently anyway. Cameleon really didn't fit in the boot, the back wheels were too chunky and I couldn't bring myself to undoing them.

Let me check Baby Jogger online first smile Thank you.

Tiggywunkle Mon 05-Sep-11 20:20:46

It depends on the carrycot. Some collapse flat really easily. Have a good look at them. No you don't need the car seat on the chassis but you did mention that. Sometimes it's handy to have if you are just nipping into somewhere rather than waking the baby. Happy looking!

kitia Mon 05-Sep-11 20:22:50

hmm - I suppose I cannot plonk my monkey boy in a cocoonababy and swaddle him in a miracle blanket at the same time anyway so will have to use these complementary, wherever it fits better smile

tiggywunkle - icandy, you say? let's see. thank you!

fairimum Mon 05-Sep-11 20:31:07

i would always want the carseat to clip on - if just popping to the shop etc you really dont want to wake baby just for a 15 min dash to the shop! SO easy if car seat clips out (base in the car fab!) and onto pram (or even into trolley!) and then clips back into car again - wouldnt be without that option! Lol

EvaPeron Mon 05-Sep-11 20:40:39

I'm a MINI driver and used a petit star zia from the beginning. Forward facing, but it does have a lie flat option and it was cheap. It's still going now he's 2.5 years although has a minor repair.

I left my Britax, rear facing seat in the car and found the easiest way to get him into the car was through the boot, lifting him over the back seat, down into his seat. Did get some odd looks though. Couldn't have done it whilst he was asleep, but as he never slept anyway that wasn't a problem!

mumo75 Mon 05-Sep-11 20:49:24

how about a Seed Pli
folds very flat wheels fold in si it goes flatter
fits in a Fiat 500
the seat is a carrycot that turns into a seat

scarlettsmummy2 Mon 05-Sep-11 22:38:19

Twiggy, thanks for that! I would definitely prefer something more robust! Will have a look at the weekend.

nancythursday Tue 06-Sep-11 20:57:03

I've got a micra, i got the silver cross surf and it fits in fine (i did slide the backseat forward a little bit) you can get a carrycot for that. I've just got the buggy, but there seems enough room left in the boot to fit a carrycot and I still manage to squeeze some shopping bags in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now