Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Double/Tandem for toddler & newborn (20 month gap), don't have a clue, tell me what to get!

(13 Posts)
sleepywombat Fri 02-Sep-11 13:49:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tiggywunkle Fri 02-Sep-11 15:28:12

I think one pushchair is the obvious choice but I dont know what you can get in Australia but it's not the tandem you are asking for, and that is the Out n About Nipper 360. It's very very lightweight to push, loads of storage space if you get a basket and it's also fairly low. There are downsides for siblings eg shared hood, no carrycot (but something like a Bugaboo Cocoon or a soft cot would fit - I think there are Nipper newborn supports?). I also am not keen on the small footplate and it's width but it won't cost you the earth, will make it up the hill easier than most (the one I had used to get blown by the wind it was so light even with the children in) and I bet you use it for a good year, and then you can sell it and get a single. Re tandems the easiest to push are the iCandy Peach by miles - you already have the new version out there in Australia there you lucky things smile - you just need to find a stockist - and the Britax B-Dual (I think it's the Strider out there?)

aswellasyou Fri 02-Sep-11 21:32:33

It's a shame you're not tall because the single ABC with top seat was what sprang to mind. I think it might be too high to see over for you. Why am I even saying this?!hmm
Have you looked at side by side 3 wheelers? There are Mountain Buggy, Valco Baby and ABC doubles in Australia.

5inthebed Fri 02-Sep-11 21:41:09

grin aswellas

You say you live rural, would an air tyred pram be better? P&T are ok, can turn it into a single once your DC1 is older and walking everywhere.

Tiggywunkle Fri 02-Sep-11 22:03:56

the ABC isn't too bad because the main pushchair is pretty low and the static toddler seat doesn't really obscure your view much. But I wouldn't want to be pushing it up a hill!! The Duet isn't that light either....

twolittlemonkeys Fri 02-Sep-11 22:10:19

I loved my Phil & Ted Sport, was sad when I no longer needed it, but they have a pretty high resale value so IMO it's worth forking out. I think I paid £360 new (shopped around a lot!) and got £270 for it when I sold it on Ebay. I was worried about the restricted view, but the baby goes in the back (and they sleep quite a bit!) though my eldest soon thought he'd like a go in the back, so once DS2 could sit up I would swap them round.

FWIW I'm only 5ft and didn't find the P&T a strain, as long as the tyres were pumped up enough! The Sport (and subsequent models I assume) has a height adjustable handle.

pramsgalore Fri 02-Sep-11 22:21:25

i am also am a fan of phil and teds, i have owned e3, sport, vibe and now have the verve, i hated the vibe, but love the rest, out of them all i think the verve is the best, it is more stable having the 4 wheels, it is so nice to push and i am pushing around a 2.10 year old and a 5 year old so a far bit of weight, i have never found any of them difficult to push, but you would have to have the panniers for shopping, but they hold loads, both my dc enjoy sitting in the back, as did my dd2 when she was younger

sleepywombat Sun 04-Sep-11 05:27:53

sleepywombat Sun 04-Sep-11 07:04:19

GreyTS Sun 04-Sep-11 11:54:30

sleepywombat try the website strollersandprams.com it is aus based and have forums where they will advise on the most suitable double or tandem available in your budget locally

Tiggywunkle Sun 04-Sep-11 17:54:44

The Strider is a Britax brand but I believe your version if the B-Dual has better seats (does it have a footrest?) so just be aware of the differences. I second the strollersandprams forum. They are great on there! I think some UK stores will ship Internationally. I know from Lullaboo Baby's Facebook that they do. Drop them an e mail to ask?

Mammonite Sun 04-Sep-11 18:01:17

I got on really well with a Phil & Ted, I am only 5ft 3 and it was fine for pushing both town and country. Never used the panniers but you can hang a ton from the handles grin. Can you try out a friend's one before committing - that's what convinced me. DS2 never complained about being in the back seat, if the older child got out to walk I just popped the seat up on to the front position.

zdcgbjm Sun 04-Sep-11 18:08:52

I think the mountain buggy is a far better pram to push than the p&t especially if you're going off road at all. You really need to try them out if possible though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now