Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

best buggy, ever?

(23 Posts)
sillyworriedmama Wed 31-Aug-11 22:52:02

I am a sucker for falling for buggies but I've made some really bad choices when it comes to buying... so far I've had a Britax (bloody awful) iCandy (reasonable) and Maclaren (does the job but hardly inspiring) but I am searching for 'the one' that is just amazing and makes me love it completely. Is there any such buggy? Am I living in a pipe dream world to think there's one out there that ticks all the boxes? I don't like flashy or funny-looking (hmm, politely put, unique) ones. I don't like boring or 'classic' ones. I don't like gender specific designed ones. I don't like fashionable (easily dated) fabrics or 'on trend' ones. I'm a bit of a pain in the butt to please I guess...

But I do fall in love with some - lately I've been lusting after the p&t verve, the uppababy vista (rumble seat add one looks interesting for later on), the 2011 4-wheel baby jogger city mini in crimson... I could go on! Before I make another (expensive) mistake, I'm canvassing for opinions: what have you fallen in love with, if anything, that hasn't let you down?

fairimum Wed 31-Aug-11 22:57:42

i think i have just found it in the Uppababy Vista!! I am in love with it!! only arrived today (cheapest at babybirds website), so only taken it up to the shop, but it is better than i ever imagined and SO light and lovely to push and the seat unit it HUGE!! the piggyback board is fab too, dont have to walk funny or anything!! smile

Tiggywunkle Wed 31-Aug-11 22:57:44

The Baby Jogger City Mini - it just works....on every level. I can't wait to get the four wheel version. Its the one I would recommend to anyone and everyone. (Or the Elite if you want an off roader)

I didn't get on the Verve, it looks gorgeous but I found it full of niggles, straps, things that pinched / were hard on your fingers and hands, and with no storage if you use a doubles kit etc. but I am sure one of the Verve fans on here will come and tell you in a minute how fantastic it was!

I dont know which iCandy you had, but the Peach to date hasn't let me down. I love it.

The Uppababy Vista with Rumble seat - come and ask me again in a few weeks!

pramsgalore Wed 31-Aug-11 23:00:36

my favs at the moment and i won't be getting rid of until she starts school [no matter what he says] grin are:
mima xari in white
orbit in chocolate brown 1st gen
p&t verve
love them all and all are real head turners

sillyworriedmama Wed 31-Aug-11 23:06:01

I had the cherry, it feels wobbly now and my chunky 13mo DS already looks big in it! The accessories are ridiculously expensive and I just plain don't like it anymore... yeah, I confess, it's boring having the same one. Esp as you can't colour change it or anything.

The Vista is a definitely maybe lol - good to know it's popular with people who actually have it too! I don't think we'll have a close enough age gap (ttc at some point in the next six months fingers x'd, no less than a 27mo gap possible though really if we wait til winter) to need a 'proper' double like the bjcm double, but the piggyback/rumble seat interest me just to have the option - can't see DH approving of another buy unless is does EVERYthing iyswim. I'm already unpopular for being on buggy no.3!!

pramsgalore Wed 31-Aug-11 23:10:21

i counted up how many i have had in 11 years and i think i have missed some out, but i have had almost 60 thats really bad shock grin blush i have 4 dc if that makes it sound any better oh and 3 wagons and 2 trikes with child seats blush

BikeRunSki Wed 31-Aug-11 23:12:53

Baby Jogger City Mini. Nothing not to like, everything to love.

friggFRIGG Wed 31-Aug-11 23:38:51

Baby Jogger City Mini,
uppa baby vista
bugaboo bee
p&t verve
mima kobi
if i had to have one (single) buggy for ever more,it would be the baby jogger city mini 4 wheel.

Tiggywunkle Wed 31-Aug-11 23:51:36

The problem with the rumble seat is that it has a 15kgs limit...and no matter how hard I have looked I can't see anyone saying any higher (and often US prams / websites have over 15kgs). That's not much when you have a tall (not overweight) toddler!

teaandbiscuitsplease Thu 01-Sep-11 07:43:39

Another vote for baby jogger city mini 4 wheeler - simply brilliant! Not much bigger than a maclaren but tonnes of space and will do everything you need it too effortlessly. Beats the bugaboo cameleon I had before hands down for user friendliness.

MonkeysPunk Thu 01-Sep-11 08:44:02

Baby jogger city mini for compactness and being lightweight for travel.
Uppababy Vista for luxury parent facing with huge shopping basket capacity. Suitable from birth to at least 4y. Seat size and weight capacity generous enough to not be outgrown. Parent facing option invaluable.
Baby jogger summit xc for offroad. It's a big one. Won't be outgrown. Superb off road handling due to unique style all wheel suspension and quality handbrake.

suzie38 Thu 01-Sep-11 08:48:20

For me it's the Bumbleride Flyer...I love it...Also love my Donkey but debating still, whether to swap it for a Xari, but the seat size is concerning me.

sillyworriedmama Thu 01-Sep-11 10:11:14

hmmm I have just discovered custom made hoods etc. I may re-visit the cherry after all! depends how much it costs. I'm tempted just to bung it on ebay already... but maybe I'd regret it?? I've talked myself out of a vista today. I can't afford it and I don't need it... but the bjcm 4 wheeler will just be a matter of time smile

pramsgalore Thu 01-Sep-11 10:34:35

i have to say custom made hoods and being able to swap the colour is why i have just bought a bugaboo cam again, i'm thinking that if i can swap the colours i won't get bored, i really can not buy anymore now, i have put my self on a strict ban, i need to start saving for xmas. but i think i have my perfect pushchairs for every occasion now so happy. grin

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 01-Sep-11 10:37:19

I think it has to be the Bee. Ticks all the boxes. Live my Apple, live my Techno but the Bee just has the edge.

The BJCM is awful, really can't see the appeal

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 01-Sep-11 10:37:35

love ffs.

Pootles2010 Thu 01-Sep-11 10:39:28

Why do you think it's awful Gwen?

sillyworriedmama Thu 01-Sep-11 12:15:39

I have a very tall boy and I doubt the cherry will last another year so if he needs a buggy beyond then I'll have to think about head room - the BJCM can't really be beaten on that, and the fold is amazing!! pramsgalorehehe I wish my DH would let me indulge my obsession as much as you have!! <goes green with jealousy>

sillyworriedmama Thu 01-Sep-11 12:16:28

gwen the bee+ was my obsession about 6m ago but I didn't have the ready lolly... still love it!!

pramsgalore Thu 01-Sep-11 12:59:04

it is fun, but i must have spent a furtune over the years, the other parents at school have got used to me turning up with a different one all the time now, i really don't know what i will do when i don't need a pushchair anymore i will be lost, have been using one for 11 years now grin

pramsgalore Thu 01-Sep-11 13:01:52

i also still like the bee, but i bought an early one and the wheel fell apart after a few weeks, got a full refund but has put me off and i seem to read about people having issues with the new one as well, which is a shame because they are lovely to push and are compact and the basket holds loads.

teaandbiscuitsplease Thu 01-Sep-11 18:00:47

Gwen - come back! I'm really interested to know what you don't like about the city mini

rogersmellyonthetelly Thu 08-Sep-11 08:53:34

Easiest push and nicest ride for baby, bugaboo cameleon
Easiest fold bjcm
Best small folding one piece rear facer, bugaboo bee.
Best all terrain, mb urban.

All time fave has to be the cam though, love the customising aspect, love the fact you can pick the whole thing up with one hand, love the adjustable suspension, love the handle height and ease of pushing. Don't like the two piece fold (although I could fold it and have it in the car in under 30 seconds) and I'm told the basket is a mare to get to in pram mode but I never used the carrycot so I don't know how much that would bug me. Also don't like the bumper bar, they should change it for a gate opening style like the buzz or the icandy.

Least fave is the quinny buzz. Small seat, heavy, pita to fold, lethal unfolding if your fingers get in the way. Seat cover is a nightmare to get off to wash, pointless basket, pointless hood, faffy rain cover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now