Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

3 and a half year old and baby? Help me re pushchair

(18 Posts)
Gastonladybird Mon 29-Aug-11 15:41:33

I have used a sling and mclaren xt with dd but am thinking ahead to arrival of second dc in jan and wanted some advice. I think I need something for dd1 (either buggy board or pushchair) as although generally walks there is odd trip where too kong/ she is tired.

1. Do I stick with sling and pushchair I have? Would need a refurb as one of breaks going but could cope. Drawbacks is have to use sling (there is s possiblity of me needing c section so sling out initially ). Also how practical is a sling if chasing round after at park (suppose can put baby in pushchair).

I am anti buggy board on mclaren as it loses Its lightness and ease of fold (.

2. Get new pushchair which fits buggy board an preferably can rear face. Am tempted by bugaboo bee plus.

So is 1 feasible or 2 better? I think am verging towards 2.

And is there any other option other than bee that is lightweight and foldable, can use a detachable buggy board , used from birth and preferably rear facing (not keen on paying for something that only does what maclaren does).

Tia for help

Eglu Mon 29-Aug-11 15:46:00

Does your 3 and a half year old really need a pushchair? Mine were walking everywhere at that age.

I think the sling option would be best.

Gastonladybird Mon 29-Aug-11 15:55:40

I am in two minds re pushchair - generally I would say no but there is one journey (usually done at end of day )which is a couple of miles each way. My concern re sling is if I can't use it initially due to c section.

Jojay Mon 29-Aug-11 15:58:17

I was fine with my sling after about 3 wks post c section.

Before then, we weren't out and about much anyway.

Gastonladybird Mon 29-Aug-11 16:01:31

That's good to hear Jojay (I don't know how would get by as sling was life saver with dd)

Tiggywunkle Mon 29-Aug-11 17:33:53

I struggled 8 weeks post C-Section to support a baby in a sling and lean over and push a pushchair. It killed my back! I lasted ten minutes if that...before quitting and using a double.
But equally I am not sure you really need a double either by three and a half, and certainly most tandems would be too heavy to push.
However have you looked at the Joovy Ultralight Caboose (Mothercare) because it may well suit you. Baby would need to go in a car seat for the first six months though. The front seat does recline a long way though so baby could be ok on the seat sooner.
I think I would also consider a pushchair with it's own brand of buggy board or with enough space through the handle for a toddler to fit between the pushchair and handle, or a Mountain Buggy Freerider or Strollirider that fits at the side.

Gastonladybird Mon 29-Aug-11 17:48:37

Thanks for the suggestion - I like look of the joovy

Tiggywunkle Mon 29-Aug-11 17:53:14

There are other similar pushchairs - sit n stand & euphoria chiplioino are two other brands. It's easy enough to import some if these and you may find that one has a seat more suitable from newborn, but Joovy are a good brand. Just don't get the Joovy Ergo because it's nigh impossible to push even though it looks amazing! I do recommend the Ultralight, but it's worth looking on Amazon.com (rather than co.uk) and EBay to see what other brands come up.

thisisyesterday Mon 29-Aug-11 17:58:06

i would go with a sling or a buggy board.
at 3.5 you really won't need a double for long, so could be a giant waste of money unless you get a bargain second-hand

sling-wise it depends what you have. I could happily wear my big fat babies for 2-3 hours or more in the moby. and regularly slung them on my back with a woven wrap so they weren't in the way!

you can have baby in the buggy most of the time if you don't want tyo use the sling though, and just sling him/her when your DD is really tired.

pramsgalore Mon 29-Aug-11 18:08:34

i like the joovys, have used the ultralight for some years now [bought mine for dd2 and ds, dd2 is now 6]and its great but baby would be infront in car seat, i like the ergo and find it fine to push, but it is long, i can not push either one handed and to be honest i would not expect to be able to with the weight i push around, i push around a 2.10 year old and a 5 year old, i have just bought a verve which is also great

mummyistheword Mon 29-Aug-11 23:06:11

Hi prams where did you get joovy ergo from? Did you have to import it? Looks gorge after the other joovy mothercare sell, I am loving my double nipper still but dd1 is so good walking and it won't go on buses and trains....but I'd still like option for her to sit , also like idea her facing me for some attention while my cheeky dd2 has the front seat views to keep her quiet, might be nice change for dd1 and I....we do short trips some days and full long days out at least once or twice a week so would def get the use for at least a year or so, dd1 is three and a half, the nipper is so easy to push but now I've got a single in car I'm using it less and less, do just love the looks though! Hence not sure could go for the ultrlight unless it's waaaay cheaper, would you.....or anyone else?! Recommend joovy? Dd2 is now 13 months, we have lots local amenities to walk to so will be handy for dd1 to rest now and then.

pramsgalore Mon 29-Aug-11 23:41:17

i got my ergo off ebay and imported the ultralight as they were not in the uk. the ultralight would be best for you as you would be taking it on buses and trains, it is lighter and shorter than the ergo, the ergo is great as i can pile everything in the back including ds balance bike up on its back wheel and ds can still stand on the back with dd in the front, but it is i think 11cm longer than the ultralight, tiggy hated her ergo and could not push it, so i think maybe i am used to pushing doubles with heavy kids [have been using doubles for 5 years now] i find both fine to push, but the ultralight is a tad lighter, i think due to it being shorter. i would recommend the joovy sit and stand pushchairs all the time for your age gap.

Tiggywunkle Mon 29-Aug-11 23:51:17

Honestly the Ultralight is better. The Ergo is very long - one of the longest pushchairs I have come across. The front seat is not very comfy and its really hard to find the seat pads anywhere. The recline is small with no side support. The Ultralight has a really deep recline and the padding comes included. The manoeuverability on the Ultralight is good. It is nigh non existant on the Ergo unless you push two handed which was hopeless when I tried to shop and needed to hold a shopping basket. I was a complete liability in the shop as I had no control and had to hope no one was in my way as I attempted to turn a corner! The two are poles apart. I sold my Ergo within hours of getting it. Horrible thing! The Ultralight however we loved. I had a 12 month old and a 2 and 3/4 year old.

Gastonladybird Tue 30-Aug-11 21:15:22

thanks again - esp for the advice on importing (the joovy do seem to be better served on us websites) -very helpful indeed. and completely agreed that Don't need a double but do need something

5inthebed Tue 30-Aug-11 21:19:14

I used a pram similar to the Joovy for my Ds2 when DS3 was born. He has ASD and was hard work walking. It was ideal, but a bit long, wish Id got the Joovy as it is more compact.

Tiggywunkle Tue 30-Aug-11 21:26:03

I spotted a Mia Moda one earlier http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Mia-Moda-Twin-Pushchair-travel-system-/170688489232?pt=UK_Baby_BabyTravel_Pushchairs_GL&hash=item27bdd3a710#ht_546wt_922

Tiggywunkle Tue 30-Aug-11 21:26:19

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Mia-Moda-Twin-Pushchair-travel-system-/170688489232?pt=UK_Baby_BabyTravel_Pushchairs_GL&hash=item27bdd3a710#ht_546wt_922

5inthebed Tue 30-Aug-11 21:29:09

Thats the one I had, was practical but long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now