Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Britax: soft carrycot, regular one or a BabySafe Sleeper? Help!

(9 Posts)
LaTristesse Thu 25-Aug-11 11:30:54

So after some lovely advice on another thread I'm going to get a Britax BDual Tandem for DS and the newbie. I never used a carrycot before but want to try one this time but Britax do 3 different kinds compatible with this pushchair - which one would you recommmend / go for?

It needs to be easily portable as we'll use it for bub to sleep in when out in pushchair and at home (no Moses Basket). (The BabySafe looks cool as I can chuck it straight in the car rather than have to take the bub out if he's asleep - but how does it fix (Isofix or seatbelt) and will he outgrow it really quickly?

Any help gratefully received! Thanks smile

Tiggywunkle Thu 25-Aug-11 12:38:40

From my experience and others, I wouldn't get the hard carrycot. It compromises the toddlers seating position underneath. If the Babysafe will fit in the lower position then that sounds like a good option but the lower car seat adaptor frame costs around £50 and I am not convinced the Sleeper will fit. I would always prefer a proper carrycot but to give a toddler the best seating experience for the six months you need a carrycot for, I would choose the soft cot. You can also use the soft cot in the upper position and you may even be able to get it parent facing but you would have to play. I assume it will have carrying handles. BTW a lot of carrycots are not for overnight sleeping and I suspect the soft cot is fine for day time but not night.

LittleMissStubborn Thu 25-Aug-11 13:34:54

I have just bought the hard carrycot (to actually use with the B Smart) and in the instructions it says not to be used as a crib (I can't check the exact wording as it has gone up in the loft)

I am not sure why not though - it doesn't seem much different to the carrycot that my sister had 12yrs ago (Britax) and 7 babies have used that overnight.
The mattress seems quite thin, so maybe that is the reason

LaTristesse Thu 25-Aug-11 13:48:13

Thanks ladies. LO will only sleep in it during the day - in cot overnight, but wanted some portability during the day to ease struggle of coping with DS at the same time!

So it looks like it's soft cot or Baby Safe Sleeper - I think I'll try and find them in an actual shop so I can play with them first... Anyone know if the Baby Safe Sleeper fixes with Isofix or seatbelt, can't seem to find that info online...?

Tiggywunkle Thu 25-Aug-11 14:54:55

Which says 'belted installation only'. The sleeper I assume goes sideways on your back seat. My concern is that it would be as big as the carrycot and of it only goes on top then once again your toddlers seating position will be compromised. Just to add I had the Babysafe SHR II Plus and was really surprised how the rear of the seat lies flatter for a newborn. It could be worth a look too to see how flat it dies actually go.

LittleMissStubborn Thu 25-Aug-11 14:56:26

The baby safe sleeper fits sidewards using the belt so requires 2 seats - it can also only be used until 6mths.

LaTristesse Thu 25-Aug-11 15:58:55

Marvellous, thanks ladies!

aswellasyou Thu 25-Aug-11 17:05:36

Carrycot style carseats aren't as safe as normal carseats so I wouldn't use it in the car personally. They also take up loads of room in the car. If you go for one of the ones with a free second seat and carseat, you won't need another option for the car anyway. I also wouldn't want a hard carrycot as they're big and bulky, fairly heavy to carry and you'll need to store it afterwards if you plan on having another child. A soft carrycot can go on both the top and bottom, is really light and can easily be carried in and out of the house. I'd put the toddler in the top seat rear facing and the baby in the soft carrycot at the bottom. Also, the soft carrycots are much cheaper!

aswellasyou Thu 25-Aug-11 17:16:08

I have a new deal for you to look out but only for today! Boots have it for £450 with the second seat and carseat free. Use the code FRGT23 to get 10% off (ends tonight). Go through Quidco and get 6% cashback if you've never bought from Boots.com before, 2.5% if you have. And you get 8082 points if you're in the Parenting Club.

So you buy it for £404.99, get £80.82 worth of points and £24.30 or £10.12 cashback. That's a really good deal as long as you'll use the points for nappies or something. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now