Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Cosy toes/ foot muff for tall child?

(19 Posts)
TruthSweet Wed 10-Aug-11 21:09:48

This winter I will need a footmuff/cosy toes for DD2 to go into a BJCMD. She is currently 105cm tall and won't be 4 until Nov but is in the pushchair as she has arthritis/hypermobile joints so struggles to walk long distances and she also feels the cold terribly (still carrying a thick fleece blanket around to cover her up even now).

We have a Pupabag but I don't think it will be long enough and DD3 will need one so will probably pass the Pupabag on down (I think she will have grown out of the others I own as she will be 2 in the Autumn).

Any suggestions for a good warm & long cosy toes?

Or should I make one? I made some thick padded buggy liners so DD2 was comfy so could adapt the pattern I made....

Tiggywunkle Wed 10-Aug-11 21:11:26

I posted a similar question the other day. I will bump it up for you.

thisisyesterday Wed 10-Aug-11 21:13:49

you want a kaiser xl

i have one which i'd lend you but i'll be using it for ds3 this winter!
ds2 still fits comfortably in it and it's SO warm

Hevster Wed 10-Aug-11 21:14:05

I haven't come across anything that goes that long so I would make it but then I quite like sewing

TruthSweet Wed 10-Aug-11 21:36:29

I suppose I could turn a blanket into a kind of foot muff with a pocket for her feet if I added ties to connect it to the pushchair.

I'm just worried with a big puffy footmuff like a Kaiser XL she wouldn't have any room left in the pushchair and it's about the only pram going that's suitable for a child her height and DD3 (unless we went with a double Maclaren Elite Major but I don't want to go that far yet).

thisisyesterday Wed 10-Aug-11 21:52:18

do you want to try mine out and see how it fits?

thisisyesterday Wed 10-Aug-11 21:54:19

and not that you want buggy advice, but you could keep an eye out for a mountain buggy double. the seats on them are HUGE.
we had ds1 in ours when we were on holiday when he was 5 and a bit

TruthSweet Wed 10-Aug-11 22:21:19

Thanks TIY, we could meet up so I can give you back your sling for starters! I needed to use a sling a week or so ago and couldn't find mine so grabbed yours - DD3 is now waaaaay to big for it when not that long ago she fitted fineconfused

I think the seats in the BJCMD will fit ok without the cosy toes/padded liners (DD1 fits in just fine hmm and she's 117cm+ now) but I'm just concerned with all the padding DD2 seems to need it will be a tight squeeze. Though apparently children with arthritis have stunted growth so who knows how tall she could have been!

Does anyone know if the Baby Jogger Elite/Classic has bigger seats than the City Mini? DH loves the fold on the BJ so much that I think he would be loathe to give them up.

Tiggywunkle Wed 10-Aug-11 22:28:10

The seat measurements are here side by side. The Elite is marginally bigger. There are also photos of older children in the Elite seats here. The main difference between the Mini and Elite are the wheels, storage and more padded seats.
Someone linked me to a huge blanket type wrap thing for 4 year olds if that is any use..I would have to hunt for it.

TruthSweet Wed 10-Aug-11 22:46:28

Thanks Tiggy. I just wish there was a pushchair that could parent face, take two children (including one tall child), recline well, great hoods, huge basket & non-tippy for shopping bags, possibly have an option to convert down to a single and be not so expensive that DH would have a heart attack.

Any ideas? Or do I have to get the arc welder out and make my own? grin

thisisyesterday Thu 11-Aug-11 09:05:27

don't forget, narrow enough to get through doorways and lightweight enough for buses etc

it's not like you want a lot is it? wink

mamadivazback Thu 11-Aug-11 09:20:10

The BJ Classic has bigger seats but is also a bit bulkier although the air wheels will be easier to push with a bigger child in.

Also how about Stayput blanket for DD, they are fab and can be used for all different ages, as well as that you can get them made in larger sizes even for adults! They just attach onto the pushchair rame around the child wiith press studs and the bottom has a pocket for feet.

I got one from Ebay and loved it smile

mamadivazback Thu 11-Aug-11 09:24:16

Also meant to add that you could probably make a Stay put yourself quite easily if you know how to sew etc.

It is literally just a thick blanket, with a large pocket sewn into the bottom or feet and then a small strap at each corner with press studs.

One of those with a sheepskin liner would be lovely and cosy for her smile

TruthSweet Thu 11-Aug-11 12:33:44

No, I don't want a lot do I? Also, colour change packs would be good so if I was bored with the perfect pushchair I could switch the colour easily, small fold, great accessories (that come with the pram not ££££ extra), carrycot option for little babies (not that I need a carrycot with a nearly 2y/o & a nearly 4y/o but might as well go the whole hog.....).

Thanks mamadivazback I think my best bet is getting a couple of cheap fleece blankets and altering them to suit. Or I could get one of those lounge fleece thingies (what are they called - slinkies?) and using that.

Tiggywunkle Thu 11-Aug-11 14:15:54

If length isn't an issue the Kolcraft Contours does what you want and is fine to push with an older child in. The City Select does too but would be very heavy to push unless you are on a nice flat surface. I am loving my ABC Adventure Buggy coz that does what you want too. There are other options like the Zoom, M&T tandem, and Vector Duo which are larger. The Uppababy Vista does too but the rumble seat only has a 15kg limit....and it's a US 15kg limit rather than our British testing. But yes...someone does need to get inventing especially an easy push tandem with one parent facing seat plus a large basket...I think the new iCandy Peach Blossom is the nearest I can get to perfect right now ...I just wish the back seat rear faced!

Tiggywunkle Thu 11-Aug-11 14:16:43

Oh and you can get he B-dual top seat to rear face, and that has a large basket.

TruthSweet Fri 12-Aug-11 03:53:24

What's a M&T Tandem?

And I'd want two parent facing seats blush DD1 faced me until about a week or so before she stopped using a pram at just before 3y/o in my old First Wheels City Twin (sold when DD2 stopped using the pram a few weeks after DD3 was born).

I HATE not seeing my children as we walk along - we spend a lot of time out with the pram as I can't drive and I feel so disconnected from them when they forward face. Plus if they are parent facing I feel so much happier on buses (I ext.rf them in the car too!).

Tiggywunkle Fri 12-Aug-11 11:06:20

Sorry typo M&P ie mamas and papas.

PrincessScrumpy Fri 12-Aug-11 12:33:27

I agree their should be more rear facing twin buggies - not just carrycots, but for when babies are older and you can chat to them etc. I was looking at tandems for that reason but they're not really rear facing as one child is hidden behind the other, so only one gets the rear facing affect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now