Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Tandem Pram Recommendations

(9 Posts)
pinkhyena Thu 21-Jul-11 16:32:39

Hi all,
I found out today that i'm pregnant again eek! I've got a 9 month old at the moment so need to get a double pram. At the moment we've got a m&p sola which I love so preferably looking for something similar but as a double. I don't really want a side by side because of struggling to get through doors. I'm at a complete loss of where to go to get ideas so can anyone make any recommendations?
Thanks

PrincessScrumpy Thu 21-Jul-11 16:40:45

I'm expecting twins so have been testing a few. I love the Out and About Nipper for ease of pushing but I'm waiting for the Mountain Buggy Duet to be released this month - it's supposed to be small enough to fit through doorways despite having standard width seats. You can also fit Maxi Cosi car seats to the frame or get a carry cot for one side.

We thought we'd want one that is one in front of the other but they, IMO are horrible to push - I was really suprised the difference the length makes.

aswellasyou Thu 21-Jul-11 16:47:52

This is a good starting point to find what you're looking for. There's nothing I can think of that's like a Sola but for two children. What sort of budget do you have? In my mind there are three sorts of tandem, one child underneath the other like this, one underneath but more able to see out like this (these can usually convert to a single by removng the second seat unit) or one behind the other like this or this. It really depends on budget, how you'll use it, whether you need off-road wheels, whether you want it to convert to a single, whether you want to be able to see the new baby and what you like the look of.

aswellasyou Thu 21-Jul-11 16:51:56

The length isn't always a problem and side-by-sides can be difficult to push in some cases (Maclaren I'm thinking of you!). The Nipper and Duet are supposed to be really good though. I prefer four wheels myself but that's personal choice.
You need Guildford with her extensive knowledge of double pushchairs.

Guildfordnanny Thu 21-Jul-11 17:55:27

I'm here smile First question - how do you / will you use a Pushchair ie where do you go, what do you do? Do you shop, go off road, walk from your house or use the car to get to places? What is your budget? If you use the car what is your boot space like? We are excitedly awaiting the Mountain Buggy Duet which arrives next week because it's got two full size seats and big basket, takes carrycots and car seats but is narrower than some leading tandems. The other two pushchairs I think have longevity and practicalness are the new yet to be released iCandy Peach Blossom which I love, and the Britax B-Dual which gives good reclines etc for both children. Go and have a good play on www.bestbuggy.co.uk, try the compare pushchairs tool and do come and ask more questions grin There are other good options like the Kolcraft Contours, Mima Kobi and iCandy Pear as well.

pinkhyena Thu 21-Jul-11 19:56:02

Right:
At the moment I use the buggy pretty much every day but only really on the pavement. I do also use the car a lot but we need to get a bigger car too I don't think our old A class will be big enough. I love the icandy pear but it's a bit out of our budget I think even second hand. The graco tandems look ok for a budget but they just seem very long.

Guildfordnanny Thu 21-Jul-11 20:12:23

Out of the two Gracos the Quattro Tour Duo is definitely better. Prces vary a lot though. I bought one a few weeks ago from EBay and most of the fabrics have gone through the washing machine and look like new. Compared to other tandems the length is fairly similar or shorter. I haven't had much chance to use it (largely because OH put it behind his bike in our shed and I can't get it out to put the covers back on) but it looks like a good pushchair. The Kolcraft Contours is a fab pushchair for the money but it is long and is an awkward shape for a boot. I have just been looking at Jane Powertwins and am surprised how little they go for. Apparently they are small folded. One of the issues with the Powertwin is the front child stopping the wheel but your two will be young ie not a much older toddler. Unfortunately all tandems are long! There are umbrella fold tandems like the Jusonne or Chicco ones but I am yet to find one that isn't long when folded - I havent found one to fit in my relatively large boot yet! For the money, the Graco Quattro Duo is probably one of the best.

pinkhyena Thu 21-Jul-11 21:23:15

Thanks Guildfordnanny, I'm just very warey because I made a mistake with the first pram I bought and don't really want to go through the hassle again of trying to sell then get a new one. Also a bit worried because I have trouble manouvering my pram but I think thats more to do with my cack steering lol!

aswellasyou Thu 21-Jul-11 22:27:58

I've just got home from delivering my Powertwin to its new owner.[smle] It's really small folded with the back wheels off. They pop off really easily. It fits easily in the back of my Mum's teeny weeny Peugeot 207. It's much nicer than a Quattro in my opinion, and really easy to push and steer. If you do go for it, get the Pro if you can afford a little bit more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now