Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Is a new mattress for pram necessary?

(6 Posts)
Zone2mum Wed 20-Jul-11 09:49:32

I know that for Moses baskets and cots a new mattress is required for each baby, but does this apply to prams?

We bought ours new for DS1 just over 2 years ago and I just don't know if it's necessary to buy a new mattress for DS2, due later this year. He'd only really be in it when out and about, not planning on using it as a general carry cot, but it's been in the loft for the last couple of years so I just don't know whether it's ok to use again.

I can't see that they are sold separately on the accessories page of the manufacturer's website, nor do they seem to be sold separately in Mothercare or John Lewis so I am guessing that it isn't usual to do this but I'd be v grateful to know what other people do!

pramsgalore4 Wed 20-Jul-11 09:54:40

what type of pram is it, normally just a moses basket mattress would fit, it depends really on you and if you know it has been kept clean in a clean bag in a clean loft, if not i would buy a new one, they don,t cost alot.

Zone2mum Wed 20-Jul-11 09:58:28

It's a Bugaboo Cameleon, which I think is longer than most moses baskets tend to be (though I may be mis-remembering this)

Guildfordnanny Wed 20-Jul-11 10:10:15

I believe there is less risk of SIDS when a mattress is used between siblings. If you can afford one then I would get one. But you know exactly how your firstborn used it ie if he was sickly and how much and if you see a sheet etc. And you also know how it got stored. Your decision smile

pramsgalore4 Wed 20-Jul-11 13:55:34

it is expensive www.pramworld.co.uk/product/9284/Bugaboo_Cameleon_Mattress_Spare
or
babymattressesonline.co.uk/products/new-order-your-mattress-by-the-model-of/for-prams-carrycots/deluxe-mattress-for-bugaboo-chameleon-product.html

Zone2mum Wed 20-Jul-11 16:44:32

Thank you, all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now