Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. Read our pushchair and pram reviews to find out which products have won Mumsnet Best. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic.

Is a new mattress for pram necessary?

(6 Posts)
Zone2mum Wed 20-Jul-11 09:49:32

I know that for Moses baskets and cots a new mattress is required for each baby, but does this apply to prams?

We bought ours new for DS1 just over 2 years ago and I just don't know if it's necessary to buy a new mattress for DS2, due later this year. He'd only really be in it when out and about, not planning on using it as a general carry cot, but it's been in the loft for the last couple of years so I just don't know whether it's ok to use again.

I can't see that they are sold separately on the accessories page of the manufacturer's website, nor do they seem to be sold separately in Mothercare or John Lewis so I am guessing that it isn't usual to do this but I'd be v grateful to know what other people do!

pramsgalore4 Wed 20-Jul-11 09:54:40

what type of pram is it, normally just a moses basket mattress would fit, it depends really on you and if you know it has been kept clean in a clean bag in a clean loft, if not i would buy a new one, they don,t cost alot.

Zone2mum Wed 20-Jul-11 09:58:28

It's a Bugaboo Cameleon, which I think is longer than most moses baskets tend to be (though I may be mis-remembering this)

Guildfordnanny Wed 20-Jul-11 10:10:15

I believe there is less risk of SIDS when a mattress is used between siblings. If you can afford one then I would get one. But you know exactly how your firstborn used it ie if he was sickly and how much and if you see a sheet etc. And you also know how it got stored. Your decision smile

pramsgalore4 Wed 20-Jul-11 13:55:34

it is expensive www.pramworld.co.uk/product/9284/Bugaboo_Cameleon_Mattress_Spare
or
babymattressesonline.co.uk/products/new-order-your-mattress-by-the-model-of/for-prams-carrycots/deluxe-mattress-for-bugaboo-chameleon-product.html

Zone2mum Wed 20-Jul-11 16:44:32

Thank you, all!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: