Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Pushchair that folds very small, but has some support

(11 Posts)
hazeyjane Tue 19-Jul-11 21:57:41

I'm probably asking a bit much from a pushchair here!

I have to take ds (1 with low muscle tone and developmental delays) on a bus every day (for the school run), with my 4 and 5 yr old dds. Up until now i have carried him in a sling, but he is getting very big and heavy, and i have a20 minute walk home which is starting to kill me.

The bus has no space at all for pushchairs (it is an old coach), but the driver said if it could fold small enough, then i could put it on the seat next to me.

Any ideas of a pushchair that could fold this small, but might have a bit of support for ds?

Thankyou

Guildfordnanny Tue 19-Jul-11 22:02:58

A Phil&Teds Smart? It has a bucket seat so should be supportive. It folds long but flat. I also have an Emotion Xtreet which is very light to pop on a knee. But if you can wait a little bit longer the new Maxi Cosi Noa may well be the answer?? It folds up one handed (so with baby under one arm), is tiny folded, pulls along behind you and has a recline. It is due out fairly soon.

hazeyjane Wed 20-Jul-11 10:54:55

Thankyou Guildfordnanny, they both look a bit pricey, and also might not fold down enough to fit on seat on bus. Someone on SN board suggested a Quinny Zapp, knowing that you are a bit of an expert on buggies (I haven't stalked you honest, but I was on the thread you were on about dla!) can i ask you opinion on the Quinny?

Guildfordnanny Wed 20-Jul-11 11:20:15

Lol re stalking. Thats my first time away from here! Honestly the Quinny Zapp is a piglet to fold up and is a two handed big push job! I would think if you were on a bus that you could do with something easy to put up and down. I have had two for different reasons but both have been sold largely because of the fold. I think in your situation it sounds like you need something easy to deal with. I don't know if the Petit Zia is any easier too fold but i dont think it is. I bought a Noa last night for just over £160 which folds up to nearly the same size as the Zapp - I don't think it's a bad price for something so small and neat with a recline. I am going to go and do a bit of hunting for you and see if I can find anything else. I have a few ideas but have no idea of actual size. I like looking for small pushchairs because they fit neatly in my car smile

Guildfordnanny Wed 20-Jul-11 11:24:41

What about a Quicksmart? I have no idea what they are like but are supposed to be small and easy to fold. I can only find the stroller on EBay new for under £100 http://www.quicksmartbaby.com/easy-fold-stroller/ There is a smaller back pack version too.

Marne Wed 20-Jul-11 11:27:42

zia? and its on offer, i know several sn parents who use these, both my dd's are low tone we found the Mountain buggy the best but sadly it doesn't fold up small (is huge).

hazeyjane Wed 20-Jul-11 11:30:29

Thankyou, so much, you are right, it needs to be easy to fold as well as small, although our bus driver is lovely and quite happy to hold ds and help me get on, (he has seen us struggling over the last year, with a fair few tears and nervous breakdowns from me!)

I'll have a google of those suggestions. There is also a mum at dd1's school who is a buggy addict, she is always selling them through the school newspaper, so may have some suggestions.

That dla thread you started was very helpful to me, as we are just trying to fill out the forms, so thankyou for starting that thread.smile

Guildfordnanny Wed 20-Jul-11 11:31:37

Sorry I didn't convert that last link....
How about a backpack stroller? shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Backpack+pushchair&_sacat=See-All-Categories There are a few here? They covert from a backpack into a pushchair. Again I have no experience of them but are worth suggesting.

Guildfordnanny Wed 20-Jul-11 11:34:47

The only issue with the latter is they are pretty upright and are probably not supportive enough?

Guildfordnanny Wed 20-Jul-11 11:51:48

I got some great template reconsideration letters yesterday which have given me some ideas. All were apparently successful so fingers crossed! I am not sure I have any other suggestions at the minute. I have found a shop selling the Quicksmart backpack but it's only available in store near London. I think the fold looks more faffy than the other version. But have a look. There are the Microlites but in reality they are pretty big when folded. I had a Leebruss Takeoff once upon a time which again may be worth a look but it's a chunky square fold - which may well suit you. But certainly easy to put up and down and worth a look. The support isn't great though, but it's surprising how well the harness supports a 12 month old. I hope some of that is useful.

Marne Wed 20-Jul-11 11:55:12

Also, we had a 'Loola' which i picked up 2nd hand which seemed to be suportive enough for dd2, it folds up small (we took ours on holiday with us), you can pick them up for next to nothing on e-bay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now