Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

A New Pram For A One Year Old- Your Thoughts?

(22 Posts)
JoJoH1 Tue 19-Jul-11 20:20:20

DD has just turned one and am currently pondering the need / want for another pram currently have the icandy cherry special edition. Looks good very light easy to move etc. However, not great on bumpy roads not talking about country parks but just crappy quality pavements. Also my mum who has arthritis in her hands struggles to put the pram up and down and tilt the seat. Like the look of the Stokke as like the idea of her being high up but feel maybe at one years old we have missed the boat on this one? Quite like the Cath Kidston Maclaren but am not a massive fan of buggies something about the wheels always lets down the overall look. Any how open to suggestions enlighten me oh clever pram masters!

stressheaderic Tue 19-Jul-11 20:23:26

I have the Cath Kidston for my DD who is 17 months, had it since she was 4 months. It is a dream to push, very lightweight and a doddle to fold and unfold. It's rubbish 'off-road' as it has small wheels but fine on any kind of pavement.
DD always falls asleep in it without fail. It looks very pretty too and lots of people admire it <shallow>

pramsgalore4 Tue 19-Jul-11 20:49:01

its never too late for a new pushchair, i do think the stokke may be difficult for your mum to work, but they are lovely to push, but if your budget is for a new stokke what about one of these www.cheekyrascals.co.uk/1570/xar
they are as high as a stokke

aswellasyou Tue 19-Jul-11 21:26:51

Ditto what prams said. If ever in doubt, get a new pushchair.wink

JoJoH1 Tue 19-Jul-11 21:33:55

liking the mima do they do more colors? So you still think that it's ok to get a 'proper' pram even though shes one and not a buggy?

aswellasyou Tue 19-Jul-11 21:44:46

Of course it's fine!
The Mima comes in black, silver with black connectors or silver with white connectors for the chassis. Dark grey, silver or white for the seat units. Millions of colours for the seat pads:black, red, grey, blue, bright pink, light brown, peach, yellowy orange, possibly some more.
In the UK, John Lewis sell them in black chassis with silver seat unit or silver with black connectors chassis and dark grey seats. The comfort packs only come in black or red here too.

pramsgalore4 Tue 19-Jul-11 21:45:34

YES i am getting one and my dd is 2.5 blush, tis a thing of beauty grin, we will get you into bad habits grin

pramsgalore4 Tue 19-Jul-11 21:46:48

www.cheekyrascals.co.uk/1570/xari

aswellasyou Tue 19-Jul-11 21:47:26

I should have said, the black chassis/silver seat units are available from August.
If you look here, the Mima Kobi is very similar to the Xari so you can read about how amazing they are!grin

pramsgalore4 Tue 19-Jul-11 21:47:54

sorry forgot i had already linked, the white with red is lovely

suzie38 Tue 19-Jul-11 21:48:12

My DD is 2.2 years and i'm most likely getting one.

suzie38 Tue 19-Jul-11 21:48:33

But she still wears 9-12 month clothes.

pramsgalore4 Tue 19-Jul-11 21:50:29

yes my dd is also small for her age

Guildfordnanny Tue 19-Jul-11 21:52:34

The Mimas are gorgeous but my Kobi has a knack to fold and it usually takes a couple of goes which may involve bringing it upright from half folded. It's also heavy should your mum lift it (and I wouldn't have thought the Xari was much lighter. The seat units fold in situ but again are bulky to get your arms round and slot into place. They are dreamy to push though - absolutely superb over most things. The seat recline is a simple lever at the back of the seat. But I honestly think she may struggle to put it up and down...you would need to try to be honest....when you get the knack the Kobi glides beautifully to the floor. I am wondering if something like Baby Jogger Elite may be more practical even if it seems boring. Or look at the Mountain Buggy Swift.

suzie38 Tue 19-Jul-11 21:52:49

So we'll get plenty of use smile

Guildfordnanny Tue 19-Jul-11 21:54:34

My DD is well over 2.5 and is growing out of age 3/4 clothes and she is fine in the Kobi at present and the Kobi takes up to 17kgs in the main seat. What is the weight limit for the Xari?

suzie38 Tue 19-Jul-11 22:08:08

17kg as well.

pramsgalore4 Tue 19-Jul-11 22:08:33

its the same 17 kilos

suzie38 Tue 19-Jul-11 22:09:03

Snap!!!

JoJoH1 Tue 19-Jul-11 22:11:44

oddly guild have just been looking at baby jogger city elite no where near as beautiful but seems to tick the practical boxes does anyone have one are they nice and light?

Guildfordnanny Tue 19-Jul-11 22:29:35

I have the double Elite and single City Mini here and have had the double City Mini but not the single Elite. But to be honest there wasn't that much size difference between the two doubles. Apparently the single Elite is just over 4kgs Heavier than the Mini, but the Pull Handle in the middle of the seat makes carrying them all easy work. I am quite seriously debating whether to swap my Mini for an Elite instead of the new 4 wheel mini. The Elite has fabulous storage, the amazing easy fold, the huge hood, easy recline although your mum may struggle with the toggle to sit your DC upright again? and lovely chunky forever air wheels.

aswellasyou Tue 19-Jul-11 22:40:46

Back to your OP, I wouldn't get a Maclaren because the recline can stick quite a lot. My Mum and sister would often give up on ours and make me do it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now