Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Not a buggy board, then ... so recommend me a double!

(15 Posts)
SoBroken Thu 14-Jul-11 21:38:28

Thanks to everyone who gave me an idea what the buggy board was like on the other thread, it seems as though it's not a great idea.

Been having a look about online at doubles, and it's terrifying. Wheels falling off, too heavy to move, front-heavy with a big toddler.

The only one I can find that seems pretty well-loved is the Phil and Ted's Sport. I will try and get a second hand one, with the doubles kit already included etc.

Does anyone else have any recommendations? Largeish and lively 3yr old DS, upstairs flat which means it has to be easy to fold and compact when down. I also use buses a lot so it has to be easy to push and not monstrous.

Thanks again everyone for all your help ... this is my biggest purchase and I REALLY need to get it right as we don't have a lot of money at the moment and I don't want to be stuck with something I hate.

pramsgalore4 Thu 14-Jul-11 21:49:51

phil and teds are great but i would try your son init first as he will have to sit in the doubles kit when attached to the front, he might be too big ie the hood may not go over his head. mothercare always have them on display try him in the doubles kit when on the front to check. i don't really know anything about the newer inline doubles and it does depend on funds but i know there is the britax b dual, baby jogger select [both can be found on ebay] and the uppa baby vista with a seat you can attach to the back think it called a rumble seat coming soon to the uk. the vista is already here and the piggy back board is also here in the uk.

Marne Thu 14-Jul-11 21:54:30

If you can get a Jane Powertwin on e-bay they are fab (we had one many years ago), dd1 sat in the front until she was 4. Would also look at the maclaren (side by side) as the seat units are a good size.

pramsgalore4 Thu 14-Jul-11 22:03:11

re the buggy board, i have used buggy boards alot and the easiest to push with was a lascal maxi board on a mountain buggy urban the child stands on the board and is inbetween the back of the pushchair and handlebar so a little easier to control him, and if you tied his reins to the pushchair not a chance of him moving, you have to walk not lifting your feet very high on each step so they go under the board easy when you get the hang, i am only 5 foot and i found it easy and comfy to push, mountain buggys are very easy to push anyway and remember he won't really be in your way as he is the otherside of the handlebar to you, i have only just stop useing mine and ds is 5 years, and you will have the option of buying the freerider when you can afford it, mountain buggys are always on ebay as are the lascal maxi boards. they do take a carrycot but i have never tryed a buggy board with a carrycot attached so don't know if it would work, i will try mine with the seat laid flat and see if there is enough room if you like. grin

pramsgalore4 Thu 14-Jul-11 22:07:23

yes i owned a jane powertwin lovely to push, have also owned a twin maclaren and it was really heavy to push with the weight init felt like i had just done a hard work out at the gym after i decided to go for a walk, i always found the bigger the wheels the easier to push and you will have a fair bit of weight in it, i really don't think it would be suitable

gingergaskell Thu 14-Jul-11 22:19:59

I didn't see your buggy board thread, but wondered if the KidSit was already mentioned / might be suitable for your needs {sorry not sure what your needs are!}, it's a buggy board that is a seat.
My daughter could sit on it well from 2 years, I've found it a much better solution than a double.

I have a Bugaboo Bee stroller, but it fits on any buggy with a horizontal axle at the back {so not fold up / umbrella type strollers}.
Here's the web site with more info if you think it might be a solution for you.
www.kid-sit.co.uk/products_kid-sit.php

It would be a huge improvement on lugging a double up stairs {or do you mean it needs to fold up to store downstairs in hall etc?}. I couldn't wait to get rid of my Phil and Ted's. I had the Vibe which is meant to be 20% lighter {aluminium frame} no way I'd want to carry it upstairs, it was a pain just to lift into the boot of the car say.

pramsgalore4 Thu 14-Jul-11 22:34:42

yes don't buy a second hand vibe they had loads of issues, really not worth risking, i had one and it had to go back for a faulty front wheel a fault they knew about but never recalled, i have heard of loads of other things that went wrong with them. i sold mine soon after i got it back from repair. i have a phil and teds sport and it is great although not used much now. i also had an e3 and that was great as well. if you dont mind a travel system then the joovy is very good [yes i own/had a lot of pushchairs] i have a caboose and an ergo but you would have to have the baby in a car seat in the front as seat is from 6 months, the ergo you can have carseat in the back but it is as long as a standard tandem so would be a struggle on a bus, but the basket is huge and also the ergo you would have to import although there was one on ebay a week ago that did not sell, the joovy is more compact.

pramsgalore4 Thu 14-Jul-11 22:36:13

sorry the joovy caboose is more compact than the ergo

lilbreeze Thu 14-Jul-11 22:45:49

I didn't read your other thread but I wouldn't buy a double if you have a 3-year age gap - get a buggy board (I've got a Lascal Maxi), get your 3yo a scooter or something (kids can always scoot further than they can walk!) and see how you go. I bought a buggy board when my DD1 was 3.3 as I was fed up using a very heavy P&T. In the first 2 weeks of having the buggy board she only asked to go on it once, and since then it's just been used occasionally, when she's really tired, or fallen over in the park or something.

Guildfordnanny Thu 14-Jul-11 22:46:09

Like the PP says I think the key to helping you is that you live upstairs. Can you leave the pushchair downstairs? Can you put it into a car boot before going up or some storage? Or do you need to be able to drag it up behind you? If it is the latter then realistically the only pushchair I would consider would be an umbrella fold that you could drag upstairs behind you with baby in a sling or soft cot with handle. But whilst I find umbrella fold tandems aren't too bad for push ability whilst baby is small the toddler is forced into the front seat and my two year olds feet touched the front in that lower seat. if it's simply an easy to fold, lightish pushchair then something like the Baby Jogger City Mini or Nipper would be good with a carrycot or soft cot so you can put baby down whilst you fold. Phil & Teds are a pushchair you either love or hate. As the PP says watch the doubleskit in newborn mode with your baby. Also get a reclining second seat. Think carefully about storage as without panniers it's hard to put anything in board unless you carry it. Also try the doubles kit out with your stride in case you bump the back seat. They are also not the shortest pushchairs out there because of the overhang at the back and handle. The B Dual is fab because both seats fold in situ and it free stands. You can also pull it along behind you...and potentially could be dragged upstairs but it's big to do so. The Baby Jogger City Select could be carried in two hands with baby in a sling? The Peach has a shoulder strap for the chassis but you would need a hand each for the seats or seat and carrycot? Or you could use a car seat. Lots to think about. I don't know when your baby is due but the new Peach is fab for a bigger child. Have a look at Best Buggy because the girl on there is tall (age 3/4 clothing). There may be a way to tether together either both City Select Seats or both Peach seats to make them easier to carry (I doubt you could bump either up stairs easily)??

Guildfordnanny Thu 14-Jul-11 22:48:41

Just to add the new Mountain Buggy +one may...be of interest. It would be great for the first six months as it may well bump up stairs and would easily carry a three year old. After that you may need to improvise a little until the baby is bigger. But worth a look.

Guildfordnanny Thu 14-Jul-11 22:50:12

Or a Mountain Buggy freerider may work? It's due to have connectors for other brands too soon.

SoBroken Tue 19-Jul-11 10:32:25

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. Tried out the Phil and Teds in the shop and it seemed great, so currently scouring ebay for a local cheapish one.

My flat is upstairs but the stairs are our own. There's a smallish space at the bottom, my current pushchair folds up and then lies agaist the stairs there, which is what I'm aiming to do again. That's why i'd like a fairly compact and easy to fold one, no way could I have done a pram when living here.

For those that didn't read the buggy board thread I posted, my DS is a bolter and not very cooperative when out, so after consulting the experts on here, I concluded that my best bet was a double buggy. I'm also not that keen on a sling, have tried and failed with several different types in the past.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll go and check them all out and see if I can get the chance to try them out.

Guildfordnanny Tue 19-Jul-11 11:15:07

Glad you are getting sorted out. Just to add the B-Dual is similar to a Phil&Teds but has much better features especially for a newborn, and it also stands really well. It is worth a look smile

aswellasyou Tue 19-Jul-11 11:51:45

And it's really nicein real life in black with purple seat units.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now