Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

UV protection for a carrycot? Please help!

(15 Posts)
Milkybrew Tue 28-Jun-11 14:00:48

Hi there, I have a britax b smart that I am using with the carrycot at the moment as DD is only 7 weeks. The only problem is that I live by the sea so there's always a breeze so draping a muslin over the hood isn't working as I seem to be forever chasing them along the street as they blow away! The hood on the seat unit is much bigger so provides more protection but I'd rather she was still in the carrycot as I think it's more comfy and she sleeps soundly in it when we are out and about! Can anyone recommend a UV shade that will work with the carrycot? Thanks.

5inthebed Tue 28-Jun-11 14:05:34

Maybe something like this would work?

Milkybrew Tue 28-Jun-11 14:16:03

5inthebed, Thanks for replying but that link won't work for me, perhaps as I'm using my phone, what was the item?

I have seen online various UV shades but none say if they work with a carrycot and all are pictured on seat units. Don't want to waste my money buying something that wont work! Thought this was the best place to ask as surely other people have had this problem too?!

mousymouse Tue 28-Jun-11 14:25:02

we have a shade-a-babe that goes over the hood part of a pushchair. so if you have the hood up it should work with a carrycot as well, no?

Milkybrew Tue 28-Jun-11 14:34:18

Mousy, does the shade a babe tie on to the handle area at all? My worry is there's nothing to tie onto on the carrycot and I'll just be replacing chasing muslins with a shade that blows about everywhere!

mousymouse Tue 28-Jun-11 14:36:27

it has various velcro strips so I used it to tie it to the handles and the footrest leaving a big cocoon for baby to sit in.

Milkybrew Tue 28-Jun-11 14:41:42

Thanks mousy! Might be worth a look in that case!

notso Tue 28-Jun-11 15:08:41

I use the Summer Infant rayshade that 5inthebed linked to, it is supposed to go forward facing I think but it works brilliantly on my cam carrycot.
Loads of mums from school have asked where I got it.
Another idea for you might be a large size muslin secured to the hood and pram handle with those link type teethers, I use this when I have DS in the carseat on the pram frame.

CestTout Tue 28-Jun-11 15:18:27

I have a spare shade-a-babe at home that i'd be happy to send to you (free) - if interested just CAT me.

mumblebum Wed 29-Jun-11 18:20:42

I have a sun net that I used with DC2, it cost about £3 and is a white mesh fabric with elastic round the edges so it can fit on just about anything, carrycot, buggy or carseat. It's fabulous! Keeps the sun off, keeps the breeze off, and keeps insects out. It's currently on the pram waiting the arrival of DC3 to keep the cats out. I did have a shade a babe before that but I didn't like it. I think because it was black it attracted heat, and it was big and stiff so difficult to store on the buggy when not being used.

harassedandherbug Thu 30-Jun-11 12:37:20

I was going to suggest a shade-a-babe too.

I had the M&P Ultima for dd, and it worked brilliantly.

girlywhirly Thu 30-Jun-11 17:00:18

I think the sun mesh that mumblechum mentions is by Summer Infant.

mumblebum Thu 30-Jun-11 17:22:44

Found it here.

mumblebum Thu 30-Jun-11 17:27:30

It looks like they've changed since I bought mine though. Mine is all mesh with no solid panel like the one on the picture. I don't know if that matters.

<needs edit post function>

FeelingHip Thu 30-Jun-11 20:09:39

Try a Baby Peace sunshade. I have one and it's fab! Jojo Maman Bebe sell them...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now