Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Just can't decide, Off roader double

(21 Posts)
shufflebum Sun 26-Jun-11 09:49:07

Hoping someone can help as I'm going round in circles.
Currently I have a single nipper for DS which suits us fine we do at least one off road walk a day (hills, mud, bumps etc) I wouldn't say I'm in love with it but it's the only buggy I've had so no real comparision.
DS2 is due end of September when DS1 will be 2.5. He does do alot of walking now but we live on a busy road so he has to go in the buggy for the first half mile of any walk. I should also say DS is big 91st centile for height and over 15 kg already.
Easiest option would be the double nipper but our local town has very narrow shop doorways and I have seen mums struggling to take wheels off. (I can't get any of the wheels off our nipper as they have rusted on! blush)
Other options are Phil and teds
Mountain Buggy (would love a Duet or +one but don't think the budget will stretch unfortunately)
Not keen on the Jane, seems too long
Is the baby jogger double suitable for off road?
So ideally I want suspension, lie flat option for newborn, the option to fix the front wheel, adjustable handle (I'm short) cheap as possible ooh and the moon on a stick please grin

Northernlurker Sun 26-Jun-11 09:54:05

Don't know about the others but not the P&T. From everything I've seen it just isn't up to the job of off-roading!

mumblebum Sun 26-Jun-11 09:55:47

Do you have room to keep your single as well as getting a double? Then you wouldn't need to worry so much about the width for shops. You could get a double for your off-road walks and use the single, perhaps with a buggy board, for shopping trips.

welliesandpyjamas Sun 26-Jun-11 09:59:52

Or keep the offroading buggy as previous posted said, and use a really good comfy sling (ie not high street type ones that are for short carries) to carry baby in for now?

shufflebum Sun 26-Jun-11 10:00:07

That's what I feel about the P&T. I've had a push of my brothers (admittedly very old E3 I think) and I couldn't even get it to go in a striaght line!

Mumblebum that is a very good point blush DH is wanting to convert the garage where it currently lives as too filthy to come in the house (the buggy not DH I hasten to add!) but that would save alot of problems/headaches.

Guildfordnanny Sun 26-Jun-11 10:32:22

The Baby Jogger City Elite is pretty good - it's got good big wheels and has loads of great features like extra padded seats, parent console etc. Or I saw a Herqules Raptor Double the other day which looked great. There is the Easywalker Sky Duo and Twinner Twist Duo but the latter is really in the Duet price range. To be honest I wouldn't recommend either the Mountain Buggy Duet or +One to you anyway. The Duo is really the off road MB (the Duet is based on the Swift) and until I hear there is some practical working recline on either of the +One seats in tandem mode, then I wouldn't recommend it for someone with a baby under say 10 months (unless you simply use it in newborn mode and then as a single, and later use it again in double mode) but we will wait and see what modifications have been made. I will have a think for you...because I saw an interesting off road double the other day but can't remember what it was. I also wonder what the Bumbleride Indie is like off road? It may be as cheap to import one?

Guildfordnanny Sun 26-Jun-11 10:48:39

I have just realised the Easywalker is expensive. There is also the Baby Jogger Classic (£310 on EBay)?

Guildfordnanny Sun 26-Jun-11 10:53:52

Two more suggestions (I haven't checked the width) are a Phil & Teds side by side eg E3 and Hauck Roadster. I looked at the Urban Detour but I think it is 83cm wide?

FriggFRIGG Sun 26-Jun-11 11:05:24

are you willing to buy second hand?

Guildfordnanny Sun 26-Jun-11 11:11:19

I was wondering that because pushchairs like the Easywalker and Mountain Buggy Duo are excellent. Both have fabrics which popper off so could be washed. I have just seen a second hand Alu Rax but have no idea about buying one new. I wsh I could find the pushchair I saw the other day just because I am curious now as to what it was. It was a three wheeler with a double front wheel.

pramsgalore4 Sun 26-Jun-11 12:44:07

mountain buggy terrain have two fixed wheels and can be picked up cheaply off ebay and are not that wide, i would still keep your single for shopping with buggyboard that you would be able to clip up when not being used, side by sides are really difficult and near on impossible in small shops and don't think people will help or get out of your way cause they won't, i have had people climb over the front corner of my pushchair to sqeeze past me rather than wait, although i now wait and lift up the front of my pushchair as they are half over gets them everytime grin then just say sorry didnt see you climbing over the front of my pushchair!!!!

shufflebum Sun 26-Jun-11 13:34:26

Wow lots to look at there, just going out for a picnic in the lovely sunshine smile so will have a look later and get back to you.
Frigg I rarely buy anything new, it's a fairly standard joke in our family so definitely no concerns there!

TruthSweet Sun 26-Jun-11 13:58:04

GuildfordNanny - we had an Alu-Rax double for a while which we never used it as bought stupidly early into DD2's pg and when we tried DD1 in it when I was about 6m pg she was too tall for it.

She was only 20m when DD2 was born as well so it had a very short seat back and there was no way I was going to take them off roading with DD1's head over the back of the seat (I could see she would get a sore neck going over ruts/bumps).

Plus it was full of rust so it's good I only paid £20 for it!

I've had a P&T E3 v2 and it was impossible to steer in a straight line and the wheel couldn't be fixed so useless for off road. I hated mine though I know lots love theirs.

I find our Emmaljunga good for going off road as very springy suspension but it's a single not a double.

shufflebum Sun 26-Jun-11 16:24:39

okay, didn't manage to get out for a picnic as feeling too horrible but that's another post.
Have had a look at all the suggestions, so here are my thoughts
-What is the difference between the BJClassic and BJCE, can't find it anywhere!
-Good to hear I can cross the expensive Duet and +one off my list as can't afford them anyway
-Not sure of a second hand price for easywalker as none on ebay but I vaguely remember seeing a single first time round and thinking it was quite heavy?
-Really like the look of the Bumbleride, any idea of price on those?
-P&T if someone could convince me of their off road ability I might be swayed....
-Hauck too small I think as DS is over 15kg already blush
-Urban Detour is a beast saw one once, def not for me
-Alu rax (reminds me of old school MB) and Herqules (although looks a bit flimsy with dinky tyres) are both possibles and cheap too!
-Mountain Buggy urban double goes cheap on ebay too
- Have also come across the Land Rover one which I'm sure will appeal to DH as we'll never be able to afford the real deal smile

suzie38 Sun 26-Jun-11 16:27:48

I've bought a single Indie via eBay and it cost me just over £300...Hoping it'll arrive in the next few days.

Guildfordnanny Sun 26-Jun-11 17:51:43

The Easywalker is heavy but most doubles are. If you go to Best Buggy and use the Compare Pushchairs tool at the top you should find the weights etc easily and be able to compare two against each other. I dint recall much difference between the Easywalker and Elite size wise but the Easywalker folds flatter but the Elite is easy to carry / throw in a car. Either of these will serve you well with an older toddler. So too would a Mountain Buggy Duo. I don't know much about the Classic but I haven't heard any grumbles either. It's a discontinued model. I will have a read and see if I can spot the differences. The Land Rover one sounds interesting.

Guildfordnanny Sun 26-Jun-11 18:06:15

A quick look at the Classic shows it has pneumatic tyres instead of the everlasting air ones, the hoods aren't as deep and aren't rounded. The basket isn't as deep. The Elite has leg rests that you can raise up to flat - useful for sleeping toddlers. The Elite also has fantastic parent consoles along the handlebar.

shufflebum Sun 26-Jun-11 20:56:07

Think I might have made my decision!
That comparison tool on best buggy is brilliant, I was on the verge of starting a spreadsheet before you linked to that. I have discounted my favourite the BJ as I hadn't realised how long and heavy it is, the photos I've seen are very deceptive although the foam tyres are a draw as I constantly get punctures with my nipper despite them being slimed.
Easywalker is out as the weight limit on the seats is 15kg and DS is over that already.
So....I think the MB duo wins, just need to look out for a bargain on ebay. Don't think my car seat will fit on it as it's a Britax but it didn't fit on the Nipper either and I survived. I might be swayed by the Bumbleride, looking forward to hearing what you think when yours arrives Suzie.
Thanks so much for all your help, you really are very knowledgable ladies!

mumblebum Sun 26-Jun-11 21:19:02

If it helps I bought a set of puncture resistant tyres with puncture resistant inner tubes, which were slimed, from Ebay. I got so fed up with flat tyres on my old 3 wheeler. I used them on the old buggy for a bit with DD then they lasted 3.5 yrs on my MB with DS, before it got put away, and I've just replaced one tyre/inner tube now getting the MB ready for the new baby. They did cost but it was worth it for not having to deal with constant punctures. I think probably even more true for a double as the extra weight must put more pressure on the tyres and make punctures more likely.

Guildfordnanny Sun 26-Jun-11 21:21:54

Just bear in mind that most pushchairs are only tested to 15kgs in the UK. Mountain Buggy / P&Ts / Out n About are one of the few companies who test beyond that. But the Easywalker seats are large and I bet they take far more than 15kg (I often trawl US sites to find out). The only other thing with the Duo and Easywalker is you need to remove the fabric to attach the car seat so it's not a quick switch from car seat to seat mode. The Bumbleride is apparently good. I am interested to see how Suzie finds hers. Glad Best Buggy was useful.

shufflebum Sun 26-Jun-11 21:37:22

Ahh I did wonder why some had much higher weights. I'm not really bothered about the car seat tbh, it would be a bonus but not a dealbreaker.
Mumblebum I may well look into those as hate punctures!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now