Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Is there such a thing as a good lightweight stroller under £50?

(14 Posts)
housemum Thu 23-Jun-11 17:33:56

Ok, please don't judge, I'm looking for a cheap stroller for 3yo DD3 as we really do not have the time to walk back from school at her pace every day (fine if we haven't got to get to swimming lessons or her sister to dancing, but a bit unfair to make her walk half a mile uphill then go swimming as she'd be knackered!). Don't want to spend more than £50 if new, £30 secondhand. I loved my Volo which has just broken after being used for 2 kids, but even secondhand they go for a fair bit.

So what is as good as a Volo but cheaper? Mothercare had a lime green buggy online - looked hideous but was v cheap so was willing to consider - looked at it in the shop and it was really heavy and the handles were really uncomfortable.

pramsgalore4 Thu 23-Jun-11 17:48:02

Hi, mothercare jive buggys are really good, they are £34 and £20 for the hood/raincover/liner although they usually do an offer were you buy both together for £45 and they do boy and girl colours

Guildfordnanny Thu 23-Jun-11 17:52:39

It's not a buggy as such but I still think this Silvercross Halo is great value. It has a RRP of £250. I bought one and although I haven't had chance to really use it, it is great quality.

allthefires Thu 23-Jun-11 17:56:23

Most have a weight limit in uk of 15kg so if your dd exceeds that it may break easily and would be a bugger to push.

Have a look on the for sale boards here. Generally bigger wheels are better for heavy children.

I have the baby jogger city mini but doubt you would get one that cheap.

housemum Thu 23-Jun-11 18:49:14

She only weighs 26lbs so no danger of exceeding the weight limits smile She is quite small for her age, probably why she struggles by the end of the day to keep up - her legs have to run further than most 3 year olds!

The Halo looks like a cracking bargain, but a bit heavy for what I need - what I loved about the Volo was that I could sling it across my back. Was thinking if I could find another umbrella style I might be able to re-use the carry strap to try to use the buggy as little as poss. Think it only weighs about 4kg.

I'll have a nose at the Jive tomorrow.

Any others?

aswellasyou Thu 23-Jun-11 19:24:16

I love my Halo but it isn't light enough for throwing over your shoulder.
what about a Quinny Zapp, Petite Star Zia, Babystyle Quicksmart or Micralite Superlite or Fast Fold. I don't know how much the Micralites go for but you're likely to find one of the others in your price range and they're all really light/small.

pramsgalore4 Thu 23-Jun-11 19:33:22

micralite fastfolds are very good they go for around £50 on ebay but you would struggle to carry it over your shoulder not that compact and light, fab to push though i have pushed my small 5 year old in it and it was so easy

sillybillies Sun 26-Jun-11 21:22:24

I've got a mothercare jive that I bought to use on holiday last year. Still use it when going on day trips using public transport as its so light. I think its great value but I don't think it would cope with heavy use. I'm taking it on holiday again this year.

PrinceHumperdink Sun 26-Jun-11 21:24:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GwendolineMaryLacey Sun 26-Jun-11 21:27:28

A friend has used a jive with her hulking great son up to when he was about 5 (don't ask!) and it coped ok. They're not the prettiest but it'll probably do the job.

housemum Mon 27-Jun-11 17:52:12

Have reserved a £20 Tesco Value stroller to have a look at, but as it's just the seat part of the Maclaren that broke, I might see how much it is to get a replacement as it was such a good buggy ie v lightweight (although crap brakes as most of them were, I think newer Maclarens have better ones)

MonkeysPunk Mon 27-Jun-11 21:15:51

There's a mamas and papas stroller on sale at argos for £59 atm!

pamplemousse Tue 28-Jun-11 21:35:43

Housemum there are bits of volo's on ebay - a frame for a tenner, or seat fabric bit for 9 quid, not sure what bit of yours broke but this may help?

DingleDangleDiva Wed 29-Jun-11 14:54:41

Black Volo £44 inc delivery

Blue Volo £15 + courier

Volo Chassis £19.98 inc delivery

Volo coral/silver seat cover £13.89 inc delivery

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now