Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Right i'm going to buy my phil & teds explorer today....i think!!!

(12 Posts)
mummy2l Mon 20-Jun-11 11:59:23

Arrrrgggghh!!! Such a difficult choice! Dc2 due end of Sep and was going to wait til nearer time as very superstitious but am sick of trying to push ds1 round in his crappy stroller which is so difficult to push with q bump am going to take the plunge!
Decided on p&t as we get the bus everywhere so need to be able to fit on without annoying everyone. Also need to be able to push with 1 hand for ds1 to walk sometimes (he's 17mo). But hate the seat configuration. Love the baby jogger city select but man in shop said there is now way i'll get it on the bus. Also a bit heavy maybe but can't get it out of my mind!!!
Can anybody help me decide please?!! smile

mummy2l Mon 20-Jun-11 12:01:02

Sorry posted twice for some reason stupid phone smile

Guildfordnanny Mon 20-Jun-11 12:15:42

Have a look at Best Buggy because I am trying to break this myth that the City Select and B-Dual are huge and the Phil&Teds are small. Look at the Side by Side Comparison pages and also the page with the five tandems on it. In reality the City Select is much shorter than the Dash, and the B-Dual is shorter than the Verve. I can't remember how the City Select and Verve match up. I don't have an Explorer but I have no reason to think it is particularly shorter than either the Verve or Dash. Phil&Teds are really a bit of an optical illusion ie thin at the front but they also overhang at the back. So in your shoes, if you want a City Select then go for it! The only downside of the City Select are that ot can be hard to get up kerbs (but you get good at finding dropped kerbs or pushing down hard in advance) and as your children get heavier, it gets hard to push. My two are now 2.8 months old and 11 months but for the features eg large hoods, good seating positions, huge basket, small fold, handbrake etc for me outweigh the negatives. I personally can't get on with the lack of storage and seating positions of the P&Ts. But the Explorer is a good choice. However most pf the people I know have bought the reclining Hammerhead seat to go on the Explorer, but this is not recommended by P&Ts.

Guildfordnanny Mon 20-Jun-11 12:18:31

Five Tandem link In the head on photos the tandems are all lined up at the rear long the back axles.

mummy2l Mon 20-Jun-11 16:51:37

Thanks guilfordnanny!! Had another look in the shop today and am still undecided. You are right tho there is not a massive difference in size when bjcs has two seats on however I found it quite difficult to push with ds and the carrycot attachment on so am going to have to give it some more thought!! Thanks for your advice am going to scour your website some more!!

Guildfordnanny Mon 20-Jun-11 17:15:26

I think with doubles you need to seriously look at the most important reason / place you use a pushchair because that way you slowly eliminate the field. I don't honestly think there is a perfect pushchair. The one we havent mentioned which I would recommend you read about is the Mountain Buggy Duet. It is narrower than a City Select but the seats are a full size seat. I should hopefully take the weight of your children easily as they grow. You have a similar age gap to me and a year on, my two are heavy and I am moving onto the Duet next having had the City Select which I still use and love for it's folded size and storage. My eldest is too cramped in our Phil & Teds. But the Duet should be great on a bus. Today once again I was glad of our double after DD told me she wanted to go home and then promptly screamed all the way home because she didn't want to go home after all! I just kept walking lol!

SaltNSauce Mon 20-Jun-11 17:46:30

What about a Jane powertwin. It's a tandem but the baby can lie flat at the back while the toddler is at the front or I think you can have a car seat on for the baby.
here new.
ebay

Guildfordnanny Mon 20-Jun-11 18:08:43

Saltnsauce I was pondering a Jane Powertwin for the other lady who wants to go off road. Are they any good for that?

SaltNSauce Mon 20-Jun-11 18:24:26

No idea frankly. I have had a Slalom and a Powertrack both single and great for off road. I see a powertwin on the nursery run and it looks good, quite compact.

pramsgalore4 Mon 20-Jun-11 19:11:30

Guildfordnanny i have had a powertwin they are very easy to push, feel quite compact, study and great off road smile

mummy2l Mon 20-Jun-11 22:25:28

Thanks for all the advice I'm going to take a look at the powertwin now. Guilfordnanny you are so right there seems to be no perfect pram for two!! I love the duet but think for buses its still going to be a tad too wide which is a shame as i like the idea if them both sitting together. Wish i could afford the icandy but DH says its out of the question as we have spent enough on prams already :9 !!!

Guildfordnanny Mon 20-Jun-11 23:21:22

Seriously the Duet is NOT wide!!
I have had it stood next to a City Select because I didn't believe that it is slimmer than it! But it is!! 2.5cms less!! It is a whole 6cms less than the B-Dual.
The Duet is just 3cms bigger than the Powertwin or the Peach Blossom and just 1cm wider than the Explorer! 1cm is nothing!!!

BTW I don't work for Mountain Buggy in any shape or form, but the Duet is probably the nearest to a perfect double pushchair that you can get right now...its very exciting!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now