Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Vintage Urban Detour pushchair

(16 Posts)
Daisybell1 Sat 11-Jun-11 10:21:05

Can anyone give me some advice about old urban detours?

We were given this pushchair and initially only had plans to use it around our farm, as it seemed very 'pre-knackered'.

However, a quick wash has seen it come up lovely, and given that we found ourselves in the shops looking at buying exactly the same idea but just new, we're wondering about using it as our 'full-time' pushchair.

I don't know how old it is but it has a removable bumper bar which has slots in it which may be for taking a car seat or a carry cot.

I have seen a carrycot on ebay which looks like it has fittings in the sides, would it fit? The fittings are in the bumper bar, and I can't see find any pictures of the carry cot fitted to see if it sits in the bumper bar or not...

Can anyone help?

pramsgalore4 Sat 11-Jun-11 11:47:37

there is a carry cot on ebay shown fitted to a urban detour, so i would think if your pushchair is an urban detour then yes it will fit, looks like it fit on without the use of the bumperbar item number 320709983405 you could ask her how it fits on then check your pram she has big pics to show it attached ends sunday so be quick

pramsgalore4 Sat 11-Jun-11 11:56:10

seen another one and that one is on without the bumper bar the bumper bar is on when the car seat is fitted they are all old models that i have seen around for some years ( you can tell by the fabric colour ) what colour is yours, i really can not see why it would not fit if yours is an urban detour by mothercare

Daisybell1 Sat 11-Jun-11 18:00:38

Thanks for getting back to me - yes, I've studied the pictures and it does just seem to 'shove' in, doesn't it? Mine is seriously old (I think) - its the navy blue fabric with a lighter blue insert, and with mesh pockets on the hood. It has the foot brake rather than a handbrake too...

Daisybell1 Sat 11-Jun-11 18:14:59

This one is exactly the same as mine

febay number: 220797846152

ihearttc Sat 11-Jun-11 20:38:30

I work for Mothercare...at least I do when Im not on Maternity Leave! Im pretty sure the carrycot won't fit on that model as they only made them for a short period of time. It actually attaches in where the car seat attaches I think and I seem to recall they changed the shape of the hole (for want of a better word!) where the car seat clips in on those models so it probably won't fit on all of them...if that makes any sense at all.

I maybe totally wrong cause its been a long time since we've had any urban detour carrycots in store but I remember trying one in on an old model for a customer and the adapters just wouldn't fit.

pramsgalore4 Sun 12-Jun-11 14:15:34

have looked at yours and looked at the one on ebay and yours is differant how you fold it is differant yours is not on the handle and you have two like handles at the side, i can not see why you could not just put it on yours but you would have to find a way of sercuing it to you pram like with a strap ( could be done) i think you will be taking a huge chance though if you only want it if it attaches correctly, a whole system are fairly cheap to buy on ebay but does depend on where you live as many are pick up only theres one just been listed with carrycot,

Meglet Sun 12-Jun-11 14:18:42

I bought my Urban Detour in Sept 2006 and they only started making the carry cot version after that. But from my (then) frequent visits to mothercare it wasn't on the shelves for very long and I haven't noticed them since. My Urban Detour didn't have the right fittings for the carry cot.

It's still going strong by the way smile. I reckon it would go up everest and back. And easy to steer / push.

Daisybell1 Mon 13-Jun-11 10:22:35

Thanks for all the comments - yes, it appears that ours is too early to take a carrycot/car seat. Never mind, it was worth a try.

I have been browsing and found myself shock bidding on a Teutonia last night on ebay. We were the highest bid, but the reserve wasn't met so I'm not sure what to do. That one appeals because its parent face, and it came with a carry cot too....

pramsgalore4 Mon 13-Jun-11 14:07:18

hi, i have owned a teutonia spirit 3 (3 wheeler model) and hated it, the front wheel had to be replaced as it kept jamming sideways (so if this one has not had the recall done which i found out about though googling you will have problems ) the seat is really low and the basket is imposible to gain access to when the seat is facing you (which i guess yours will) due to a bar going accross, i always struggled to get the seat off as well arms not long enough!!!! dont know about the other models though but know all the seats are the same and so i think would clip on the same

pramsgalore4 Mon 13-Jun-11 14:16:31

yep the one that ended last night which reserve not met is a spirit 3, i really would'nt risk it, there are loads of really good 3 wheelers out there, you could get a mountain buggy with carry cot second hand (dont know what your budget is) i own a mountain buggy urban pre 2010 and they are very good. or mothercare did do an urban detour which had a forward facing seat called a quantum, jane are good but watch for the brakes as they tend to make a clicky noise after a while, but i would still recommend one ( not that bad). trying to think of others i guess you want a parent facing 3 wheeler!!

pramsgalore4 Mon 13-Jun-11 14:28:23

hercules raptor never owned one but remember doing some research on one and they came up very good, they do come up on ebay Bebecar Racer ST 3 wheeler (have owned a bebecar pram before and it was very nice) you could always google for reviews,

Daisybell1 Mon 13-Jun-11 21:19:51

Thanks for your advice - you are an expert! Your comments about the Teutonia are interesting - I was going to take a punt if it was cheap enough and then sell it on if it didn't suit me.

Parent facing does appeal, but we need a decent off-road facility as I'm on a farm and so my only traffic-free route into town is along a bridleway.

Thank you for the other tip offs - I haven't actually heard of them so I'll continue my research!

pramsgalore4 Tue 14-Jun-11 20:15:32

if i can help again just let me know, i am always around in the pushchair threads, really sad i know have had more pushchairs than i care to remember i just can't help it so many nice ones, but never the perfect one!!!!!

Daisybell1 Wed 15-Jun-11 08:25:50

I did find a Hercules Raptor last night but I think its already been sold but, god, its gorgeous! I couldn't find anything on the company though....

Today will be Bebecar research day!

pramsgalore4 Wed 15-Jun-11 09:17:20

keep looking on ebay they do come up often and remember preloved.co.uk and gumtree.com really great for second hand pushchairs i sell my pushchairs (when i get bored or dh makes me) on both of theses websites

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now