Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. To find out which pushchairs have won Mumsnet Best, read our lightweight stroller reviews. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic.

Pushchair from birth. Please help

(17 Posts)
amzliane Thu 09-Jun-11 14:34:20

I hope someone can help me.
I am looking at buying a pushchair that will do my 7 week old baby.
I am just a bit confused, some pushchairs say they do from birth and some say 6 months but i cant see any difference? I thought if they reclined flat and could face the parent they would be suitable from birth but some say not suitable till 6 months. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please. xxx

Guildfordnanny Thu 09-Jun-11 14:43:24

First of all reclining flat does not mean that the seat is flat. For example most if not all the iCandy pushchairs lie flat, but none are suitable from birth which is why they have carrycots. They have a V shape where the child's bottom sits for when they are sx months plus. A lie flat seat suitable from birth means the seat from knee to head will go completely flat as for example some Maclarens do, the Baby Jogger City Mini and Elite and some Britax, Mountain Buggies etc etc etc do. I am sure someone more knowledgeable than I can give you some lie flat parent facing options to consider smile

Guildfordnanny Thu 09-Jun-11 14:46:33

Mamas and Papas have a few options. http://www.mamasandpapas.com/range/parent-and-forward-facing/6179/?cm_re=PushchairsAccessories-_-Banner-_-ParentForwardFacing Just read carefully. If they need a carrycot they probably aren't suitable but like the Pliko Pramette the seats may convert into a carrycot space. It should give you an idea anyway.

Guildfordnanny Thu 09-Jun-11 14:46:51

www.mamasandpapas.com/range/parent-and-forward-facing/6179/?cm_re=PushchairsAccessories-_-Banner-_-ParentForwardFacing

amzliane Thu 09-Jun-11 14:51:15

ahh thankyou that makes sense! i never thought about the bum bit.
My problem is I have a silver cross classic sleepover which I love but is a major hassle to get in and out of the car because it is so big, heavy and doesnt fold very small. So i am hoping to get a pushchair that i can use from now as i dont want to buy a new pram. xx

amzliane Thu 09-Jun-11 14:52:18

thankyou for the link i will look in 2 it xx

Guildfordnanny Thu 09-Jun-11 15:02:50

I think there are probably better pushchairs on the market that parent face from newborn but the Mamas and Papas were the brand I knew to illustrate the point.

aswellasyou Thu 09-Jun-11 18:28:51

Do you have a budget and would you buy second hand? There are so many possibilities it's hard to suggest anything so this should narrow it down.

amzliane Thu 09-Jun-11 19:50:06

Not sure on budget yet, kinda hoping my dad will help me out lol I am just researching at the moment so i can narrow it down to a couple and then approach him with the idea and maybe a wee sob story ;) lol
I would rather buy new as my pram is second hand and although it is great condition it would be nice to get something new. I quite like the look of phil and teds but they are quite expensive. I have heard maclarens are good but I have not seen one i like the look of yet. xxx

suzie38 Thu 09-Jun-11 20:30:48

One Maclaren looks pretty much like another bar the fabric color.

Clarabumps Thu 09-Jun-11 20:36:23

I had a phil and teds vibe and a maclaren xlr and i far prefer my maclaren, so easy to fold and put in the car, great for bumping up kerbs and just a great all round buggy plus it does up untill..well my youngest is 2 and a half and is very tall and he's still in his for the nursery run! Go maclaren- they last forever. My phil and teds was great because i had two close together but the wheels had to be pumped up quite often and the steering wasnt great!xx

aswellasyou Thu 09-Jun-11 20:36:39

Maclarens are a bit of a love them or hate them sort of pushchair. I don't like them at all. They're mostly just strollers as well. P&Ts don't rear face, are you happy with something like that?
What about a Bugaboo Bee for about £400-£450? Is that too much? They face forwards and backwards and are light, easy to push and compact folded.
The petite Star Kurvi Match is reasonably compact folded and there are often good deals on it. The seat unit turns into a carrycot so no extra expense and no need to store a seperate carrycot.
I don't know whether you'll like either of these but they're quite different so you might like one of them!

zipzap Thu 09-Jun-11 20:37:29

I had a phil and ted pram - not the most recent model - for ds2. Love it to bits and am still using it now he is 3. If I could go back in time I would have bought one when I had ds1 but I didn't know about them then.

If you do get it it is worth getting the doubles kit even if you just have one dc as it's really useful for carrying extra shopping or two babies if you go out with friends and their babies etc

zipzap Thu 09-Jun-11 20:41:01

And of course what I meant to say in my previous post was that I highly recommend a phil and ted pram. Definitely worth shopping around and keeping am eye out as some places sell them much more cheaply than others...

saoirse86 Thu 09-Jun-11 21:18:48

I really like my Babystyle Oyster but you'd need a carrycot so with that, the pushchair and a colour pack (hood and liner) you can get it for £350ish (eg here and here). It's pretty light, folds relatively small too.

amzliane Thu 09-Jun-11 23:30:46

Thanks for all the replys smile
I think i am going to have to go and have a good look at them all in the store to properly make up my mind.
I didnt realise the phil and ted wasn't rear facing which is something i would deffo want as she is just 7 weeks old. I will have a look at the pram version.
The bugaboo bee looks good aswell, it is a bit different. I have never heard of the petite Star Kurvi Match but i just googled it and it looks quite nice so its another to add to the list lol
I really like the babystyle oyster it just puts me off that i will have to buy a carycot for it.
Arghh i am going to be dreaming about pushchairs tonight confused (who am i kidding i wont get to sleep long enough to dream lol) xx

aswellasyou Fri 10-Jun-11 12:36:29

I came across the OBaby Zezu last night which is very similar to the Kurvi.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: